Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 3 | Page No. 2730-2733
Date of Publication: 31-08-2016
STUDY OF VERTICAL DIAMETER OF HEAD OF FEMUR IN SOUTH INDIAN CADAVERS
Ashish kamdi *1, Ashita Kaore 2, S. Saritha 3.
*1 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Chandulal Chandrakar Memorial Medical College, Durg, Chattisgarh, India.
2 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India.
3 Professor & Head, Department of Anatomy,Kamineni Academy of Medical Sciences,Hyderabad.
Address: Dr. Ashish Kamdi, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Chandulal Chandrakar Memorial Medical College, Durg, Chattisgarh, India. Mobile no.: +919522582194 E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction: The hip joint which was originally referred to as a ball and socket joint. The articular surface on the femoral head is a spheroidal or slighty ovoid.The present study was undertaken to note the average diameter of the femoral head in South Indian cadaveric hip joints. This study is done with soft tissues in situ.
Material and Methods: The present study was carried out on 50 cadavers, 40 male and 10 female in the age group 30-70 years human cadavers from the department of Anatomy. With the soft tissue in situ and using Vernier calipers of 1/50 mm accuracy,vertical diameter of head of femur was taken.
Results: In the present study the average vertical diameter of head of femur was found to be 45.32mm in males and 42.32 mm in females.
Conclusion: There is small difference in the vertical diameter of femoral heads of two sides in the same individual, but this is statistically insignificant. The average vertical diameter of head of femur was found to be greater in males than in females. Availability of such data can help in constructing best possible prostheses for patients of total hip replacement.
Key words: Hip joint, Head of Femur, Vernier caliper.
- Menschik A. Biometric, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York 1987.
- Menschik, F. The shape and Kinematics of the hip joint. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (British).1993;75(2):111.
- Peter Williams L. et al. Gray’s Anatomy, 40th edition, pp 1387 - 1392, Churchill Livingstone
- Chauhan R, Paul S and Dhaon BK. Anatomical Parameters of North Indian Hip joints- Cadaveric study. Journal of Anatomical Society of India 2002;51(1):39-42.
- Murray RO. Aetiology of primary osteoarthritis of the hip. British Journal of Radiology 1965;38:810-824.
- Javadekar BS. A study of measurements of femur with special reference to sex. Journal of Anatomical Society of India 1961;10:25-27.
- Gita Mall, Matthias Graw, Kristina-D. Gehring, Michael Hubig. Determination of sex from femora. Forensic, September 2000; 113(1-3):315-321.
- P.S. Igbigbi, and B.C. Msamati. Sex determination from femoral head diameters in black malawians. East African Medical Journal. 2000;7(3):147-151.
- Asala SA, Mbojiorgu FE and Papandro BA. A comparative study of femoral head diameters and sex differentiation in Nigerians. Acta Anatomica 1998;162:232-237.
- Ruma Purkait and Heeresh Chandra. Sexual dimorphism in femora – An Indian study. Forensic Science Communication 2002;4(3).
- C Lavanya Varma and J.P.Nalini. Aatomical parameters of hip joint – Human cadaveric study.Anatomica Karnataka 2010;4(2):23-27.
- Rajendra Prasad, Selvakumar Vettival, Jayaseelan L, Isaac B and Chandi G. Reconstruction of femur length from the makers of its proximal end. Clinical Anatomy 1996;9:28-33.
Ashish kamdi, Ashita Kaore, S. Saritha. STUDY OF VERTICAL DIAMETER OF HEAD OF FEMUR IN SOUTH INDIAN CADAVERS. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(3):2730-2733. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.318