Type of Article : Case Report
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 2 | Page No. 991-994
Date of Publication: 30-04-2015
VARIANT OMOHYOID MUSCLE: REPORT OF TWO CASES
Shiva Murthy K *1, Syeda Tasneem Kauser 2, Ashwini.C. Appaji 3, Komala. N 4.
*1,2 Post Graduate cum Tutor, Department of Anatomy, M.S.Ramaiah Medical College, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India.
3,4 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, M.S.Ramaiah Medical College, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India.
Address: Dr. Shiva Murthy. K, Post Graduate cum Tutor, No: 9, Pipe Line Road, A cross, Bahubalinagar, Jalahalli, Bengaluru 560013, Karnataka, India. Phone number: 9535537340
Omohyoid muscle consists of superior and inferior bellies connected by an intermediate tendon. Various anomalies of superior belly of omohyoid are described in literature. However, absence of superior belly of omohyoid is rarely reported. During regular head and neck dissection conducted for dental students at M S Ramaiah Medical College, variant omohyoid muscle were found in two male cadavers of south Indian origin. The variation noticed was unilateral in both the cases with normal inferior belly of omohyoid. In these cases the absent superior belly of omohyoid, is replaced by a fibrous tendon. Surgeons should be aware of this variation as it forms an important landmark for head and neck surgeries. It is also used as myocutaneous flaps for various reconstruction procedures.
KEY WORDS: Superior Belly, Inferior Belly, Omohyoid, Internal Jugular Vein.
- Standring S: Gray’s anatomy- The anatomical basis of clinical practice.39th ed.Edinburgh: Churchill and Livingstone; 2005:538-539.
- A.K.Dutta: Essentials of human anatomy,Head and Neck.4th ed.Current books international,Kolkata;2004:191-193
- Rai.R, Ranade A, Nayak.S, Vadgaonkar R, Mangala P, Krishna MurthyA. A study of anatomical variability of the omohyoid muscle and its clinical relevance. Clinics 2008; 63(4):521-524.
- Bergman RA, Afifi AK and Miyaunchi R. illustrated encyclopedia of Human anatomic variation. Muscular system omohyoideus, sternohyoideus, thyrohyoideus, and sternothyroideus.1996. http://www.anatomy atlases.org /Anatomic variants/Muscular system/muscle groupings/21 infrahyoid.shtml. Accessed 28.02.2015.
- Lewis WH: The development of the muscle system, manual embryology.1st edn.lippincott, Philadelphia; 1910:454-522.
- Ashwini Aithal P, Naveen kumar, Satheesha Nayak B.Absence of the superior belly of omohyoid muscle: a case report.JPBMS 2012; 23(12):1-2.
- Rajesh Thangarajan et.al. Unusual morphology of the superior belly of omohyoid muscle.Anat Cell Biol 2014; 47: 271-273.
- Tamega OJ,Garcia PJ,Soarer JC,Zorzetto NL.About a case of absence of superior belly of the omohyoid muscle.Anat Anz.1983;154:39-42.
- Sukekawa R, Itoh I. Anatomical study of the human omohyoid muscle: regarding intermediate morphologies between normal and anomalous morphologies of the superior belly. Anat Sci int 2006; 81:107-114.
- Wang HS,Shen JW,Ma DB,Wang JD,Tian AR.The infrahyoid musculocutaneous flap for reconstruction after resection in head and neck cancer.1986;57:663-668.
- Naveen kumar Bandarupalli, Srinivasa Rao Bolla. Bilateral Cleidohyoideus accessorius muscle- a case report. Journal of evolution of medical and dental sciences 2013; vol2 (4):356-359.
- Marian simka et.al. Internal jugular vein entrapment in a multiple sclerosis patient. Case reports in Surgery 2012:1-5.
- Kojima H, Hirano S, Shoji K, Omori K, Honjo I. Omohyoid muscle transposition for the treatment of bowed vocal fold. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1996; 105: 536-540.
Shiva Murthy K, Syeda Tasneem Kauser, Ashwini.C. Appaji, Komala. N. VARIANT OMOHYOID MUSCLE: REPORT OF TWO CASES. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(2):991-994. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.138