Type of Article:  Original Research

Volume 7; Issue 4.1 (October 2019)

Page No.: 7007-7009

DOI: https://dx.doi.org/10.16965/ijar.2019.286


Mutaz Ogeal Osman 1, Ali Yasen Yasen Mohamedahmed *2, Mawadda Farah Ismail 3, Ahmed Mohammad Atiaallah Mohammad Kkair 4, Khalid Elamin Awad 5.

1 Assistant Professor of Anatomy – Red Sea University – Sudan.

*2 General Surgeon, SMSB –Sudan.

3 Teaching assistant, Red Sea University –Sudan.

4 Assistant professor of surgery, Red Sea University-Sudan.

5 Head of department of Anatomy, University of Khartoum – Sudan.

Corresponding Author: Dr. Ali Yasen Yasen Mohamedahmed, MBBS,MSc,MD,MRCS. P.O. Box 102, Alqasr Avenue, Khartoum 11111, Sudan. E-Mail: dr.aliyasen1@gmail.com


Background: Anatomical variations of the hepatic artery are important in the planning and performance of abdominal surgical procedures. Normal hepatic anatomy occurs in approximately 80% of cases, for   the remaining 20% multiple variations have been described

Patients and methods: This is an observational descriptive cross-sectional study Conducted in Dissecting rooms of the faculties of medicine in Sudan during the period from June till December 2017. Seventy Well-dissected cadavers with no disruption of the concerned area were included in the Study

Results: The variations in the hepatic artery were seen in only 4 cadavers (5.7%) ; in two cases (2.85%) an accessory hepatic artery arising from celiac artery was observed and in the other two cadavers (2.85%)there was a replacing hepatic artery that arise from the superior mesenteric artery

Conclusion: Variations in the hepatic arterial system is uncommon in Sudanese cadavers which is matching those reported in the region and are different from those at the international level.

KEY WORDS: Hepatic, hepatic arterial system, Sudanese cadavers, Abdominal surgical procedures.


  1. Kawarada Y, Das BC, Taoka H. Anatomy of the hepatic hilar area: the plate system. Journal of hepato-biliary-pancreatic surgery. 2000;7(6):580-6.
  2. Haller vA. Icones anatomicae in quibus aliquae partes corporis humani delineatae proponuntur et arteriarum potissimum historia continetur. Vandenhoeck, Göttingen. 1756.
  3. Lipshutz B. A composite study of the coeliac axis artery. Annals of surgery. 1917;65(2):159.
  4. Bandopadhyay D, Ghatak S, Tiwari N, Garg L. Hepatic artery variations: a case report. International Journal of Anatomical Variations. 2012;5(1).
  5. Shier D, Butler J, Lewis R. Hole’s essentials of human anatomy & physiology: McGraw-Hill Education New York; 2015.
  6. Tiwari S, Roopashree R, Padmavathi G, Varalakshmi K, Sangeeta M. STUDY OF ABERRANT LEFT HEPATIC ARTERY FROM LEFT GASTRIC ARTERY AND ITS CLINICAL IMPORTANCE. International Journal of Current Research and Review. 2014;6(17):25.
  7. Zagga A, Usman J, Abubakar B, Tadros A. Accessory right hepatic artery originating from the superior mesenteric artery: report on three cadaveric cases from Sokoto, North-Western Nigeria and review of literature. Orient Journal of Medicine. 2010;22(1-4).
  8. Tharao M, Saidi H, Kitunguu P, Julius OA. Variant anatomy of the hepatic artery in adult Kenyans. European Journal of Anatomy. 2019;11(3):155-61.
  9. Ibingira C. Gross Anatomical Variations and Congenital Anomalies of Surgical Importance in Hepatobiliary Surgery in Uganda. East and Central African Journal of Surgery. 2007;12(1):93-8.
  10. Hiatt JR, Gabbay J, Busuttil RW. Surgical anatomy of the hepatic arteries in 1000 cases. Annals of surgery. 1994;220(1):50.
  11. Sebben GA, Rocha SL, Sebben MA, Parussolo Filho PR, Gonçalves BHH. Variations of hepatic artery: anatomical study on cadavers. Revista do Colégio Brasileiro de Cirurgiões. 2013;40(3):221-6.
  12. Rachana K, Madhyastha S, Saralaya V, Joy T, Premchandran D, Rai S. Rare variation in arterial branching of celiac trunk with three aberrant hepatic arteries-Case report. Journal of Morphological Sciences. 2014;31(02):114-7.

Cite this article: Mutaz Ogeal Osman, Ali Yasen Yasen Mohamedahmed, Mawadda Farah Ismail, Ahmed Mohammad Atiaallah Mohammad Kkair, Khalid Elamin Awad. SURGICAL ANATOMY OF THE COMMON HEPATIC ARTERY: A CADAVERIC STUDY. Int J Anat Res 2019;7(4.1):7007-7009. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2019.286