Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 3 | Page No. 1540-1545
Date of Publication: 11-06-2016
EFFECT OF FOOT POSTURE INDEX ASSOCIATED WITH BODY MASS INDEX AND STANDING BALANCE IN HEALTHY POPULATION: AN OBSERVATIONAL STUDY
Anand Heggannavar 1, Preeti Ramannavar *2, Santosh Metgud 3.
1 Assistant Professor, Orthopedic Manual Therapy, KLE University, Institute of Physiotherapy, Belagavi, Karnataka, India.
*2 (MPT), Post-Graduate, KLE University, Institute of Physiotherapy, Belagavi, Karnataka, India.
3 Associated Professor, HOD of Orthopedic Manual Therapy, KLE University, Institute of Physiotherapy, Belagavi, Karnataka, India.
Corresponding author: Dr. Preeti Ramannavar (MPT), Post-Graduate, KLE University, Institute of Physiotherapy, Belagavi, Karnataka, India.
Background: The ankle and foot complex play a critical role in maintaining erect posture, as also in adaptation to supporting surfaces, The Foot Posture Index (FPI), which was developed by Redmond AC in 1998. FPI provides quantitative measurements of the typical deviations of foot posture and is sensitive enough to detect any structural dysfunction in the foot. The BMI is defined as the body mass divided by the square of the body height, and is universally expressed in units of kg/m2, resulting from mass in kilograms and height in meters. Commonly accepted BMI ranges are underweight: under 18.5, normal weight: 18.5 to 25, overweight: 25 to30, obese: over 30.
Purpose: To find the effect of foot posture index associated with body mass index and standing balance in healthy population
Materials and Methods: An observational study with 30 participants age between 18 to 30 were recruited in the study, where body mass index, foot posture index and standing balance was noted using the balance master.
Results: The study revealed that no statistically significant difference between the foot posture index, body mass index and standing balance
Conclusion: There is no effect of foot posture index associated with body mass index and standing balance in healthy population .
Key Words: Foot posture index, BMI, Balance.
- Mueller MJ. The ankle and foot complex. IN: Levangie PK, Norkin CC. Joint structure andfunction, a comprehensive analysis. 4th ed. Philadelphia: F. A. Davis Company; 2005. p. 437-77.
- Hertel J, Gay MR, Denegar CR. Differences in postural control during single-leg stance among healthy individuals with different foot types. J AthlTrain 2002; 37:129-32.
- Franco AH. Pes cavus and pes planus: analysis and treatment. Phys Ther 1987; 67:688-94.
- Bernier JN, Perrin DH. Effect of coordination training on proprioception of the functionally unstable ankle. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 1998; 27:264-75.
- Cote KP, Brunet ME, Gansneder BM, Shultz SJ. Effects of pronated and supinated foot postures on static and dynamic postural stability. J Athl Train.2005; 40:41-46.
- Murley GS, Menz HB, Landorf KB. Foot posture influences the electromyographic activity of Selected lower limb muscles during gait. J Foot Ankle Res 2009; 2(35):1-9.
- Kaufman K, Brodine S, Shaffer R, Johnson C, Cullison T. The effect of foot structure and range of motion on musculoskeletal overuse injuries. Am J Sports Med 1999; 27:585-93.
- Murphy D, Connolly D, Beynnon B. Risk factors for lower extremity injury: a review of the literature. Br J Sports Med 2003; 37(1):13-29.
- Redmond AC, Crosbie J, Ouvrier RA: Development and validation of a novel rating System for scoring standing foot posture: The Foot Posture Index. Clin Biomech 2006;21:89-98.
- Redmond AC, Crane YZ, Menz HB. Normative values for the foot posture index. J Foot Ankle Res 2008;
- Keenan AM, Redmond AC, Horton M, Conaghan PG, Tennant A. The Foot Posture Index: Rasch analysis of a novel, foot-specific outcome measure. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 2007;88:88-93.
- Morrison SC, Ferrari J. Inter-rater reliability of the foot posture index (FPI-6) in the assessment of The paediatric foot. J Foot Ankle Res 2009; 2:1-5.
- Dahle LK, Mueller M, Delitto JE. Visual assessment of foot type and relationship of foot type to lower extremity injury. Journa of orthopaedic and sports physical therapy.
- Sun, Albert (August 28, 2015). How Often Is B.M.I. Misleading?. New York Times. Retrieved August 31,2015.
- Korevaar, Nick (July 2003). "Notes on Balance and actual national data" (PDF).[self-published source].
- Staheli LT, Chew DE, Corbett MA. The longitudinal arch. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1987 Mar;69(3):426-8.
- Target R, Mathieson I. Evaluation of foot posture development in children between three and eleven years of age using the foot posture index. J Foot Ankle Res 2010; 3(Sl 1):17.
- Redmond AC, Crane YZ, Menz HB. Normative values for the foot posture index. J Foot Ankle Res 2008; 1(6):1-9.
- Al Abdulwahab SS, Kachanathu SJ. The effect of various degrees of foot posture on standing balance in a healthy adult population. Somatosensory & Motor Research. 2015 Jul 3;32(3):172-6.
Anand Heggannavar, Preeti Ramannavar, Santosh Metgud. EFFECT OF FOOT POSTURE INDEX ASSOCIATED WITH BODY MASS INDEX AND STANDING BALANCE IN HEALTHY POPULATION: AN OBSERVATIONAL STUDY. Int J Physiother Res 2016;4(3):1540-1545. DOI: 10.16965/ijpr.2016.127