Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 2 | Page No. 1429-1435
Date of Publication: 11-04-2016
COMPARISON OF 3 STRETCHING PROTOCOLS FOR POSTERIOR SHOULDER TIGHTNESS IN THROWERS
M. Seshagiri Rao *, Swathi Tejitha.
MPT (Sports Medicine), Associate Professor, SIMS College Of Physiotherapy, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Corresponding author: Dr. M. Seshagiri Rao, MPT (Sports Medicine), Associate Professor, SIMS College of Physiotherapy, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh-522001, India.
Background and Purpose: Posterior shoulder tightness (PST) can result due to abnormal humeral head motion which decreases subacromial space during overhead activities leading to compression of tissues causing limited shoulder flexion, internal rotation and horizontal adduction. Recently, some authors have expressed belief about cross body stretch and sleeper stretch. The need of this study is to know the effectiveness between three stretching protocols in PST.
Materials and Methods: 45 PST throwers were randomly selected into three groups, A Modified cross-body stretch (MCBS; n=15), B Modified sleeper stretch (MSS; n=15), and C Horizontal adduction stretch (HAS; n=15) and three stretching’s were given in respective groups for 4 weeks, 5 repetitions once daily. Pre and post-treatment values of Range of motion (ROM) with goniometry and actively moving the thumb up the back(TUB), shoulder disability with PENN Shoulder score were noted and statistically analyzed.
Results: The difference between three groups was significant. ROM (0.0003), TUB (0.0085), PENN Shoulder score (P<0.0001) which is considered significant in Modified cross-body stretch.
Conclusion: Results concluded that Modified cross-body stretch was beneficial in increasing Range of motion (ROM), decreasing pain, improving functional ability, and satisfaction levels.
Key Words: Modified cross-body stretch, Modified sleeper stretch, Horizontal adduction stretch, Range of motion, Posterior shoulder tightness.
- Myers JB, Laudner KG, Pasquale MR, Bradley JP, Lephart SM. Glenohumeral range of motion deficits and posterior shoulder tightness in throwers with pathologic internal impingement. Am J Sports Med.2006;34(3):385-391.
- Tyler TF, Roy T, Nicholas SJ, Gleim GW. Reliability and validity of a new method of measuring posterior shoulder tightness. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther.1999;29(5):262-269; discussion 270-264.
- Pappas AM, Zawacki RM, McCarthy CF. Rehabilitation of the pitching shoulder. Am J Sports Med.1985;13(4):223-235.
- Tyler TF, Nicholas SJ, Roy T, Gleim GW. Quantification of posterior capsule tightness and motion loss in patients with shoulder impingement. Am J Sports Med.2000;28(5):668-673.
- Awan R, Smith J, Boon AJ. Measuring shoulder internal rotation range of motion: a comparison of 3 techniques. Arch Phys Med Rehabil.2002;83(9):1229-1234.
- Burkhart SS, Morgan CD, Kibler WB. The disabled throwing shoulder: spectrum of pathology Part I: pathoanatomy and biomechanics. Arthroscopy.2003;19(4):404-420.
- Brown LP, Niehues SL, Harrah A, Yavorsky P, Hirshman HP. Upper extremity range of motion and isokinetic strength of the internal and external shoulder rotators in major league baseball players. Am J Sports Med.1988;16(6):577-585.
- Wilk KE, Meister K, Andrews JR. Current concepts in the rehabilitation of the overhead throwing athlete. Am J Sports Med.2002;30(1):136-151.
- Meister K, Day T, Horodyski M, Kaminski TW, Wasik MP, Tillman S. Rotational motion changes in the glenohumeral joint of the adolescent/Little League baseball player. Am J Sports Med.2005;33(5):693-698.
- Borsa PA, Wilk KE, Jacobson JA, et al. Correlation of range of motion and glenohumeral translation in professional baseball pitchers. Am J Sports Med.2005;33(9):1392-1399.
- Borsa PA, Dover GC, Wilk KE, Reinold MM. Glenohumeral range of motion and stiffness in professional baseball pitchers. Med Sci Sports Exerc.2006;38(1):21-26.
- Lorenz D. The Importance of the Posterior Capsule of the Shoulder in Overhead Athletes. National Strength and Conditioning Association.2005;27(4):60-62.
- Bigliani LU, Codd TP, Connor PM, Levine WN, Littlefield MA, Hershon SJ. Shoulder motion and laxity in the professional baseball player. Am J Sports Med.1997;25(5):609-613.
- Osbahr DC, Cannon DL, Speer KP. Retroversion of the humerus in the throwing shoulder of college baseball pitchers. Am J Sports Med.2002;30(3):347-353.
- Crawford SD, Sauers EL. Glenohumeral joint laxity and stiffness in the functional throwing position of high school baseball pitchers. J Athl Train.2006;41(1):52-59.
- Crockett HC, Gross LB, Wilk KE, et al. Osseous adaptation and range of motion at the glenohumeral joint in professional baseball pitchers. Am J Sports Med.2002;30(1):20-26.
- Downar JM, Sauers EL. Clinical Measures of Shoulder Mobility in the Professional Baseball Player. J Athl Train.2005;40(1):23-29.
- Boon AJ, Smith J. Manual scapular stabilization: its effect on shoulder rotational range of motion. Arch Phys Med Rehabil.2000;81(7):978-983.
- Kibler WB, McQueen C, Uhl T. Fitness Evaluations and Fitness Findings in Competitive Junior Tennis Players. Clin Sports Med.1988;7:403-416.
- Litchfield R, Hawkins R, Dillman CJ, Atkins J, Hagerman G. Rehabilitation for the overhead athlete. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther.1993;18(2):433-441.
- Knudson D, Bennett K, Corn R, Leick D, Smith C. Acute Effects of Stretching are not Evident in the Kinematics of the Vertical Jump. J Strength Cond Res.2001;15(1):98-101.
- Smith CA. The warm-up procedure: to stretch or not to stretch. A brief review. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther.1994;19(1):12-17.
- Weijer VC, Gorniak GC, Shamus E. The effect of static stretch and warm-up exercise on hamstring length over the course of 24 hours. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther.2003;33(12):727-733.
- Williford HN, East JB, Smith FH, Burry LA. Evaluation of warm-up for improvement in flexibility. Am J Sports Med.1986;14(4):316-319.
- Cramer JT, Housh TJ, Johnson GO, Miller JM, Coburn JW, Beck TW. Acute effects of static stretching on peak torque in women. J Strength Cond Res.2004;18(2):236-241.
- Halbertsma JP, van Bolhuis AI, Goeken LN. Sport stretching: effect on passive muscle stiffness of short hamstrings. Arch Phys Med Rehabil.1996;77(7):688-692.
- Andersen JC. Stretching Before and After Exercise: Effect on Muscle Sorenes and Injury Risk. J Athl Train.2005;40(3):218-220.
- Evetovich TK, Nauman NJ, Conley DS, Todd JB. Effect of static stretching of the biceps brachii on torque, electromyography, and mechanomyography during concentric isokinetic muscle actions. J Strength Cond Res.2003;17(3):484-488.
- Kevin E. Wilk, Pt, Dpt, Fapta Todd R. Hooks, Pt, Ocs, Scs, Atc, Momt, Mtc, Cscs, Faaom pt, Leonard C. Macrina, Mspt, Scs, Cscs, The Modified Sleeper Stretch and Modified Cross-body Stretch to, Increase Shoulder Internal Rotation Range of Motion in the Overhead Throwing Athlete. journal of orthopaedic & sports physical therapy 2013;43:12. |
- S. Laxmi narayanan; Textbook of Therapeutic Exercises;Pg no-44.
- Edwards TB, Bostick RD, Greene CC, Baratta RV, Drez D. Interobserver and intraobserver reliability of the measurement of shoulder internal rotation by vertebral level. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2002;11:40-42.
- Brian G. Leggin, PT, MS, OCS1; Lori A. Michener, PT, PhD, ATC, SCS2; Michael A.Shaffer, PT, MS, ATC, OCS3; Susan K. Brenneman, PT, PhD4; Joseph P. Iannotti, MD, PhD5; Gerald R. Williams Jr, MD6; The Penn Shoulder Score: Reliability and Validity. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther 2006;36(3).
- Riemann BL, Lephart SM. The Sensorimotor System, Part II: The Role of Proprioception in Motor Control and Functional Joint Stability. J Athl Train.2002;37(1):80-84.
- Kubo K, Kanehisa H, Kawakami Y, Fukunaga T. Influence of static stretching on viscoelastic properties of human tendon structures in vivo. J Appl Physiol.2001; 902):520-527.
- Muraki T, Yamamoto N, Zhao KD, et al. Effect of posteroinferior capsule tightness on contact pressure and area beneath the coracoacromial arch during pitching motion. Am J Sports Med. 2010;38:600-607.
- PhilipMcClure, PT, PhD, Jenna Balaicuis, DPT. A Randomized Controlled Comparison of Stretching Procedures for Posterior Shoulder Tightness. journal of orthopaedic & sports physical therapy. March 2007;37(3).
- Borstad JD, Dashottar A. Quantifying strain on posterior shoulder tissues during 5 simulated clinical tests: a cadaver study. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2011;41:90-99.
- Ann M. Cools, Fredrik R. Johansson, Barbara Cagnie, Dirk C. Cambier, Erik E. Witvrouw. Stretching the Posterior Shoulder Structures in Subjects with internal rotation Deficit: Comparison of Tow Stretching Techniques. Shoulder & Elbow @sage journals, January 2012;4(1):56-63.
M. Seshagiri Rao, Swathi Tejitha. COMPARISON OF 3 STRETCHING PROTOCOLS FOR POSTERIOR SHOULDER TIGHTNESS IN THROWERS. Int J Physiother Res 2016;4(2):1429-1435. DOI: 10.16965/ijpr.2016.112