Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 1 | Page No. 1345-1351
Date of Publication: 11-02-2016
EFFECTIVENESS OF OPEN KINEMATIC CHAIN EXERCISES VERSUS CLOSED KINEMATIC CHAIN EXERCISES OF KNEE IN MENISCAL INSTABILITY ATHLETES
M.Seshagirirao * 1, Sudesh Thalathoti 2, Sumaiya Kauser Shaik 3.
*1 M.P.T., Sports Medicine, Assistant Professor, SIMS College of Physiotherapy, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India.
2 M.P.T., Sports Medicine, SIMS College of Physiotherapy, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India.
3 B.P.T., SIMS College of Physiotherapy, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Corresponding author: Dr.M.Seshagirirao, M.P.T. Sports Medicine, Assistant Professor, SIMS College of Physiotherapy, Mangaldasnagar, Guntur-522001, Andhra Pradesh, India. Phone: +917799434608.
Background and Purpose: The most common form of meniscal injury is mechanical failure of the tissue due to degeneration or trauma resulting in a tear. In a recent study by Shaji et al (2013) states that OKC and CKC are used often in clinical settings to treat patient’s lower extremity injuries. No study is there on effect of OKC and CKC on strength and stability of knee in meniscal instability.
Materials and Methods: Thirty athletes were randomly selected into two groups of fifteen each based on inclusion and exclusion criteria and were given OKC exercises in one group, CKC exercises in another for one month. Pre-treatment and post-treatment values of hamstrings and quadriceps muscle strength and knee function score were measured and analysed statistically.
Results: Results showed that P value is < 0.0001 for strength in hamstrings (OKC) extremely significant and P value is 0.0080 for quadriceps (OKC) very significant and P value is 0.0004 for stability in both groups is extremely significant.
Conclusion: OKC and CKC exercises both were effective in improving knee strength and stability, but in OKC strength improvement is better than CKC and in CKC stability is better improved.
Key words: OKC, CKC, Knee Strength, Lysholm knee scoring system, Meniscal instability.
- Athanasiou KA, Sanchez-Adams J: Structure-function relationships of the knee meniscus, in: Synthesis Lectures on Tissue Engineering: Engineering the Knee Meniscus. Morgan & Claypool, 2009, pp 1-27.
- Arnoczky SP, Warren RF. Microvasculature of the human meniscus. Am J Sports Med 1982;90-95.
- Rodeo SA, Warren RF. Meniscal repair using the outside-to-inside technique, Clin Sports Med 1996;15:469-481.
- Fairbank TJ. Knee joint changes after menisectomy. J Bone Surg Br 1948;30(4):664-670.
- Kawamura S, Lotito K, Rodeo SA. Biomechanics and healing response of the meniscus. Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine 2003;11(2):68-76.
- Hough AJ, Webber RJ. Pathology of the meniscus. Clin Orthop Relat Res 1990:32-40.
- Berthiaume MJ, Raynauld JP, Martel-Pelletier J, Labonte F, Beaudoin G, Bloch DA, Choquette D, Haraoui B, Altman RD, Hochberg M, Meyer JM, Cline GA, Pelletier JP. Meniscal tear and extrusion are strongly associated with progression of symptomatic knee osteoarthritis as assessed by quantitative magnetic resonance imaging. Ann Rheum Dis 2005;64:556-563.
- Lange AK, Singh MAF, Smith RM, Foroughi N, Baker MK, Shnier R, Vanwanseele B. Degenerative meniscus tears and mobility impairment in women with knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis Cartilage 2007;15:701-708.
- Bamac B, Ozdemir S, Sarisoy HT, Colak T, Ozbek A, Akansel G. Evaluation of medial and lateral meniscus thicknesses in early osteoarthritis of the knee with magnetic resonance imaging. Saudi Med J 2006;27:854-857.
- Adams ME, Billingham MEJ, Muir H. The glycosaminoglycans in menisci in experimental and natural osteoarthritis. Arthritis Rheumat 1983;26:69–76.
- Sugita T, Kawamata T, Ohnuma M, Yoshizumi Y, Sato K. Radial displacement of the medial meniscus in varus osteoarthritis of the knee. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2001:171-177.
- Boyd KT, Myers PT. Meniscus preservation; rationale, repair techniques and results. Knee 2003;10:1-11.
- Greis PE, Bardana DD, Holmstrom MC, Burks RT. Meniscal injury:I. Basic science and evaluation. J Am Acad Orthop Surg 2002;10:168-176.
- Schlossberg S, Umans H, Flusser G, DiFelice GS, Lerer DB. Bucket handle tears of the medial meniscus: Meniscal intrusion rather than meniscal extrusion. Skeletal Radiol 2007;36:29-34.
- Smillie IS. Current pattern of pathology of meniscus tears. Proc R Soc Med 1968;61:44.
- Choi NH, Victoroff BN. Anterior horn tears of the lateral meniscus in soccer players. Arthroscopy 2006;22:484-488.
- Dandy DJ. The Arthroscopic anatomy of the symptomatic meniscal lesions. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1990;72:628-633.
- Campbell SE, Sanders TG, Morrison WB. MR imaging of meniscal cysts: Incidence, location, and clinical significance. Am J Roentgenol 2001;177:409-413.
- Allen CR, Wong EK, Livesay GA, Sakane M, Fu FH, Woo SLY. Importance of the medial meniscus in the anterior cruciate ligament-deficient knee. J Orthop Res 2000;18:109-115.
- Noyes FR, Paulos L, Mooar LA, Signer B. Knee sprains and acute knee hemiarthrosis-Mis-diagnosis of anterior cruciate ligament tears. Phys Ther 1980;60:1596-1601.
- Vervest AM, Maurer CA, Schambergen TG, de Bie RA, Bulstra SK. Effectiveness of physiotherapy after meniscectomy. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 1999;7:360-364.
- Ericsson YB, Dahlberg LE, Roos EM. Effects of functional exercise training on performance and muscle strength after meniscectomy: a randomized trial. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2009;19:156-165.
- Kelln BM, Ingersoll CD, Saliba S, Miller MD, Hertel J. Effect of early active range of motion rehabilitation on outcome measures after partial meniscectomy. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2009;17:607-616. http:// dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00167-009-0723-2.
- Heckmann TP, Barber-Westin SD, Noyes FR. Meniscal repair and transplantation: indications, techniques, rehabilitation, and clinical outcome. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2006;36:795-814. http://dx.doi.org/10.2519/jospt.2006.2177
- Rodrigo JJ, Steadman JR, Silliman JF, Fulstone HA. Improvement of fullthickness chondral defect healing in the human knee after debridement and microfracture using continuous passive motion. Am J Knee Surg. 1994;7:109-116.
- Barber FA. Accelerated rehabilitation for meniscus repairs. Arthroscopy. 1994;10:206-210.
- Irrgang JJ, Pezzullo D. Rehabilitation following surgical procedures to address articular cartilage lesions in the knee. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1998;28:232-240.
- Shelbourne KD, Patel DV, Adsit WS, Porter DA. Rehabilitation after meniscal repair. Clin Sports Med. 1996;15:595-612.
- Matthews P, St-Pierre DM. Recovery of muscle strength following arthroscopic meniscectomy. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1996;23:18-26.
- Jokl P, Stull PA, Lynch JK, Vaughan V. Independent home versus supervised rehabilitation following arthroscopic knee surgery--a prospective randomized trial. Arthroscopy. 1989;5:298-305.
- Bax L, Staes F, Verhagen A. Does neuromuscular electrical stimulation strengthen the quadriceps femoris? A systematic review of randomised controlled trials. Sports Med. 2005;35:191-212.
- Delitto A, Rose SJ, McKowen JM, Lehman RC, Thomas JA, Shively RA. Electrical stimulation versus voluntary exercise in strengthening thigh musculature after anterior cruciate ligament surgery. Phys Ther. 1988;68:660-663.
- Snyder-Mackler L, Delitto A, Bailey SL, Stralka SW. Strength of the quadriceps femoris muscle and functional recovery after reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament. A prospective, randomized clinical trial of electrical stimulation. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995;77:1166-1173.
- Wright RW, Preston E, Fleming BC, et al. A systematic review of anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction rehabilitation: part II: open versus closed kinetic chain exercises, neuromuscular electrical stimulation, accelerated rehabilitation, and miscellaneous topics. JKnee Surg. 2008;21:225-234.
- Moffet H, Richards CL, Malouin F, Bravo G, Paradis G. Early and intensive physiotherapy accelerates recovery postarthroscopic meniscectomy: results of a randomized controlled study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1994;75:415-426.
- Shaji John Kachanath , Herlin Kaur, Mohan Natho, Shibili Nuhmani. The effect of open and closed kinematics chain exercises in the management of meniscal injuries. JSIR 2013;2(5):927-931.
- Edelman RR, Hesselink J. Clinical Magnetic Resonance Imaging, Philadelphia, WB Saunders, Publishing Co 1990.
- Scott C Cuthbert and George J Goodheart Jr. On the reliability and validity of manual muscle testing: a literature review Chiropractic & Osteopathy 2007;15:4.
- Robert G Marx, MD, MSC, FRCS(C), Edwards C. Jones, MD, MA, Answorth A. Allen MD, David W. Altchek, MD, Scoot A. Rodeo, MD, Riley J. Williams, MD, Russell F. Warren, MD, AND Thomas L. Wickiewicz, MD. Reliability, Validity and Responsiveness Of Four Knee Outcome Scores For Athletic Patients, The journal of bone and surgery 2001;83-A(10).
- Rafael F. Escamilla. Glenn S. Fleisig. Nigel Zheng. Steven W. Barrentine. Kevin E. Wilk. And James R. Andrews. Biomechanics of the knee during closed kinetic. chain and open kinetic chain exercises. Medicine & Science In Sports & Exercise0195-9131/98/3004-0556.
- Ninos JC, Irrgang JJ, Burdett R, Weiss JR. Electromyographic analysis of the squat performed in self-selected lower extremity neutral rotation and 30 degrees of lower extremity turn-out from the self-selected neutral position. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1997 May;25(5):307-15.
- Arms SW, Pope MH, Johnson RJ, Fischer RA, Arvidsson I, Eriksson E. The biomechanics of anterior cruciate ligament rehabilitation and reconstruction. Am J Sports Med. 1984;12:8‐18.
- Witvrouw E, Danneels L, Van Tiggelen D, Willems TM, Cambier D. Open versus closed kinetic chain exercises in patellofemoral pain: a 5-year prospective randomized study. Am J Sports Med. 2004 Jul-Aug;32(5):1122-30. Epub 2004 May 18.
- DeCarlo, Mark, Porter, David A., Gehlsen, Gale, Bahamonde, Rafael. Electromyographic and Cinematographic Analysis of the Lower Extremity During Closed and Open Kinetic Chain Exercise: Isokinetics and Exercise Science 1992;2(1):24-29.
- Beynnon BD, Fleming BC. Anterior cruciate ligament strain in‐vivo: a review of previous work. J Biomech. 1998;31:519‐525.
- Bynum EB, Barrack RL, Alexander AH. Open versus closed chain kinetic exercises after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. A prospective randomized study. Am J Sports Med. 1995;23:401‐406.
- Henriksson M, Rockborn P, Good L. Range of motion training in brace vs. plaster immobilization after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction: a prospective randomized comparison with a 2‐year follow‐up. Scand J Med Sci Sports. 2002;12:73‐80.
- Shelbourne KD, Nitz P. Accelerated rehabilitation after anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction. Am J Sports Med. 1990;18:292‐299.
- Van Grinsven S, van Cingel RE, Holla CJ, van Loon CJ Evidence-based rehabilitation following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2010 Aug;18(8):1128-44.
- Kvist J, Gillquist J. Sagittal plane knee translation and electromyographic activity during closed and open kinetic chain exercises in anterior cruciate ligament-deficient patients and control subjects. Am J Sports Med. 2001 Jan-Feb;29(1):72-82.
M.Seshagirirao, Sudesh Thalathoti, Sumaiya Kauser Shaik. EFFECTIVENESS OF OPEN KINEMATIC CHAIN EXERCISES VERSUS CLOSED KINEMATIC CHAIN EXERCISES OF KNEE IN MENISCAL INSTABILITY ATHLETES. Int J Physiother Res 2016;4(1):1345-1351. DOI: 10.16965/ijpr.2015.188