Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 6 | Page No. 1301-1306
Date of Publication: 11-12-2015
EFFECTIVENESS OF STRETCHING AND STRENGTHENING EXERCISES (JANDA'S APPROACH) IN SUBJECTS WITH POSTURAL BACKACHE: A RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED TRIAL
Vijay Kage *1, B.B. Putti 2.
*1 Associate Professor, Department of Orthopedic Physiotherapy, KLE University's Institute of Physiotherapy, Belagavi, Karnataka, India.
2 Professor, Department of Orthopedics, KLE'S University, JNMC, Belagavi. Karnataka, India.
Corresponding author: Dr. Vijay Kage, PT., Associate Professor, Department of Orthopedic physiotherapy, KLE University's Institute of Physiotherapy, JNMC University, Belagavi. Karnataka, India.
Background: Chronic low back pain is often associated with imbalances in hip muscle length and strength. Low back pain could result from prolonged overstretching of the innervated soft tissues when poor sitting or standing postures were maintained. These changes in muscular tone create a muscle imbalance, which leads to movement dysfunction.
Objectives: To investigate the effect of Stretching and Strengthening exercises (Janda’s Approach) in subjects with Postural Back Ache.
Study Design: Randomized Controlled Trial
Intervention: 40 participants were divided into two groups; Group A was the control group and Group B was the Janda’s Approach group. Group A was given Shortwave Diathermy with Core Stability exercises and Group B was given SWD with Core Stability exercises followed by Janda’s Approach Exercises.
Outcome Measure: Pain Intensity, Severity of Spinal Malalignment and Muscle Strength and Flexibility were measured using Visual Analogue Scale (VAS), Index of Lumbar Lordosis, Manual Muscle Testing of abdominals and gluteals and Tests for flexibility of iliopsoas, rectus femoris and erector spinae respectively.
Results: The results showed a significant difference between both groups in terms of VAS, index of lumbar lordosis, manual muscle testing of abdominals, gluteals and tests for flexibility of iliopsoas, rectus femoris and erector spinae..
Conclusion: The results concluded that stretching and strengthening exercises are beneficial in reducing pain, normalizing the lumbar lordosis curvature, increasing strength of abdominals and gluteals and increasing flexibility of rectus femoris, iliopsoas and erector spinae.
KEY WORDS: Postural Back Ache, Janda’s Approach, Stretching Exercises and Strengthening Exercises.
- Hoy D, Bain C, Williams G, March L, Brooks T, Blythe F, Woolf A, Vos T, Buchbinder R.A systematic review of the global prevalence of low back pain. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 2012;64(6):2028-2037.
- Christie, H. J., Kumar, S., Warren, S. A. Postural Aberrations in Low Back Pain. Arch Phys Med Rehabil; 1995;76(3):218-24.
- Janda V. Postural and Phasic Muscles in the pathogenesis of low back pain. Proceedings of the 11th congress of international society of rehabilitation of the disabled. 1968, Dublin Ireland. 553-554.
- Janda V. Muscles and motor control in low back pain: Assessment and management. In Twomey LT (ed). Physical therapy of the low back. 1987; Churchill Livingstone: NY; 253-278.
- Umphred D. A., Byl N., Lazaro R T., Roller M. intervention for neurological disabilities.Neurological Rehabilitation, 2001; 4th ed. Mosby: St. Louis; 56-134.
- Phil Phage, Clare C.Frank, The Janda Approach to Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain, 2007.
- S May, D Lomas, Posture, the lumbar spine and back pain, International Encyclopedia of Rehabilitation.
- Phil Phage, Clare C.Frank, Robert Lardner ; Assessment and Treatment of Muscle Imbalance : The Janda Approach.
- Klotis LC, Ziskir MC. Diathermy and pulsed electromagnetic fields. In Micholovitz SL: Thermal agents in rehabilitation. Philadelphia, F.A Davis Company 1986; 2nd edition: 170-197.
- Kisner C, Colby L. A, Therapeutic Exercise, 5th Edition, Jaycee Publications.
- Tomchu D, Companion Guide to Measurement and Evaluation for Kinesiology. 2nd Ed. Jones and Barlett Learning Publication
- Wewers, M.E., Lowe, N. K. A critical review of visual analog scales in the measurement of clinical phenomena. Research in Nursing & health 1990;13(4): 227-236.
- Matthew O.B. Olaogun, Rufus A. Adedoyin, Innocent C. Ikem, and Olubusayo R. Anifaloba, Reliability of rating low back pain with a visual analogue scale and a semantic differential scale, 2004;20(2):135-142.
- Boissiere L, Bourghli A, Vital JM, Gille O, Obeid I. the lumbar lordosis index: a new ratio to detect spinal malalignment with the therapeutic impact for sagittal balance correction decisions in adults scoliosis surgery. Eur Spine J. 2013 Jun;22(6):1339-45. doi: 10.1007/s00586-013-2711-y. Epub 2013 Feb 15.
- David J Maggee, Clinical Orthopaedic Assessment,5th Edition, Jaypee Publications.
- Mens, J. M. A. Vleeming, A, Snijders, C J. Koes, B. W. Stam, H. J. Reliability and Validity of the Active Straight Leg Raise Test in Posterior Pelvic Pain Since Pregnancy. Spine 2001;26(10):1167-1171.
- Maslowski E et al. The diagnostic validity of hip provocation maneuvers to detect intra-articular hip pathology. Am Aca of Phy Med Rehab.2010;2(3):174-181.
- Smith JF, Miller CV. The effect of headposition on sit and reach test performance. Res Q Exerc Sport 1985;56:84-85.
- Peeler J, Anderson J E. Reliability of the Thomas test for assessing rnge of motion about the hip. Phy Ther Sport 2007;8(1):14-21.
- Ferber R, Kendall K D, McElroy L.Normative and Critical Criteria for Iliotibial Band and Iliopsoas Muscle Flexibility. J Athl Train. 2010 Jul-Aug;45(4):344–348.
- Cuthbert S, Goodheart Jr. G J. On the reliability and validity of manual muscle testing: a literature review. Chiropractic and Osteopathy. 2007;15(4):1-23.
- Ahmed, Shakoor. Evaluation of the effects of shortwave diathermy in patients with chronic low back pain, Bangladesh Med Res Counc Bull. 2009 Apr;35(1):18-20.
- Monika Wójcicka, ZbigniewTrzaskoma, Use of strength exercises in rehabilitation process of persons with low back pain syndrome, Advances in Rehabilitation. , August 2013;26(1):59-65.
- Van Tulder, Maurits, Antti Malmivaara, Rosmin Esmail, and Bart Koes. Exercise therapy for low back pain: a systematic review within the framework of the cochrane collaboration back review group. Spine 2000;25(21):2784-2796.
- FP Kendall, EK McCreary, HO Kendall Muscles, Testing and Function: Testing and Function 1983 - Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
- Sherrington C S on reciprocal innervations of antagonist muscles. Proc R Soc Lond (Biol) 1907;79B.
Vijay Kage, B.B. Putti. EFFECTIVENESS OF STRETCHING AND STRENGTHENING EXERCISES (JANDA'S APPROACH) IN SUBJECTS WITH POSTURAL BACKACHE: A RANDOMIZED CONTROLLED TRIAL. Int J Physiother Res 2015;3(6):1301-1306. DOI: 10.16965/ijpr.2015.195