Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 6 | Page No. 1294-1300
Date of Publication: 11-12-2015
MANAGEMENT OF POSTURAL LOW BACK PAIN AMONG THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY PROFESSIONALS: A MULTIPLE THERAPUETIC INTERVENTION APPROACH
Santosh Metgud *1, B.B. Putti 2.
*1 Associate Professor, Department of Orthopedic Manual Therapy, KLE University's Institute of Physiotherapy, Belagavi. Karnataka, India.
2 Professor, Department of Orthopedics, KLE'S University, JNMC, Belagavi. Karnataka, India.
Corresponding author: Dr. Santosh Metgud. PT., Associate Professor, Department of Orthopedic Manual Therapy, KLE University's Institute of Physiotherapy, Belagavi, Karnataka, India.
Background: Osteoarthritis is a degenerative joint disease involving thinning or destruction of the smooth cartilage that covers the ends of bones and changes to the bone. Joint arthroplasty is an intervention for those patients who have severe disease, with severe pain and radiographic evidence.
Objective: To compare the effect of proprioceptive exercises in osteoarthritic and total replaced knees using the Knee Society Score and Joint Position Sense.
Design: A randomised clinical trial.
Subjects: A total of 95 subjects were selected based on the inclusion and exclusion criteria.
Intervention: Participants were divided into two groups; Group A comprised of the Total Knee Replacement and Group B was the osteoarthritic group. Group A was given exercises along with ambulation and static and resistance cycling and training of functional activities. Group B was given exercises and seven proprioceptive exercises followed by continuous short wave diathermy cross-fire method for 15 minutes.
Outcome measure: Pain Intensity, Functional Outcome and Joint Position Sense (JPS) were measured by using Visual Analog Scale (VAS), Knee Society Score (KSS) and Absolute angle of error, respectively.
Results: The results show a significant difference between the two groups using VAS and JPS whereas showed no significant difference between the two groups on using the KSS.
Conclusion: Based on the results of this study, it was observed that proprioceptive exercises are beneficial in improving the joint position sense in patients with osteoarthritis as well as total knee replacements.
KEY WORDS: Joint Position Sense, Total Knee Athroplasty, Ostoearthritic Knee, Knee Society Score, Proprioception.
- Altman R, Asch E, Bloch D, Bole G, Borenstein D, Brandt K. Development of criteria for the classification and reporting of osteoarthritis. Classification of osteoarthritis of the knee. Diagnostic and Therapeutic Criteria Committee of the American Rheumatism Association. Arthritis & Rheumatism 1986; Aug; 29(8):1039-1049.
- Osteoarthritis" at Dorland's Medical Dictionary.
- Mazzuca SA, Brandt KD. Is knee radiography useful for studying the efficacy of a disease-modifying osteoarthritis drug in humans? Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2003;29(4):819-830.
- Hochberg MC, Altman RD. Guidelines for the medical management of osteoarthritis. Arthritis and Rheumatism. 1995 Nov;38(11):1541-1546.
- Joshi VL, Chopra A. is there an urban-rural divide? Population surveys of rheumatic musculoskeletal disorders in the pune region of india using the COPCORD Bhigwan Model. J Rheumatol.2009 Mar;36(3):614-22.
- SymmonsD, Mathers, Pfleger. Global burden of osteoarthritis in the year 2000. WHO Geneva.
- Barret, D.S., Cobb, A.G. and Bentley, G. Joint proprioception in normal, osteoarthritic and replaced knees. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (British Volume). Jan 1991;53-56.
- Ashish P, Vijay K. Joint Proprioception in Normal and Osteoarthritic Knees. J Yoga PhysTher.2012:2-4.
- Klotis LC, Ziskir MC. Diathermy and pulsed electromagnetic fields. In Micholovitz SL: Thermal agents in rehabilitation. Philadelphia, F.A Davis Company 1986; 2nd edition: 170-197.
- Jordan, K. M., et al. EULAR recommendations 2003: an evidence based approach to the management of knee osteoarthritis: report of a task force of the standing committee for international clinical studies including therapeutic trials (ESCISIT). Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 2003;62:1145-1155.
- Stewart, R. DHSSPSNI. Re: total knee replacement statistics. Email Personal communication to C. Minns Lowe. 42. Ben Cornell PT, Joe Godges PT Loma Linda U DPT Program KPSoCal Ortho PT Residency. 6 January 2009
- (National Center for Health Statistics.). American Academy and American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons Bulletin 1999; 47(3):14.
- Walla DJ et., al. Hamstring control and their unstable anterior cruciate ligament- deficient knee. Am J Sports Med 1985;13:34.
- Westby, M.D., Kennedy, D., Jones, D.L., Jones, A., Doyle-Waters, M., Backman, C. Post-acute physiotherapy for primary total knee arthroplasty. (Protocol) Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008;2:CD007099. DOI:10.1002/14651858. CD007099
- Naylor, J. M., Harmer, A. R., Heard, R. C. Severe other joint disease and obesity independently influence recovery after joint recovery after joint replacement surgery: an observational study. Australian Journal of Physiotherapy2008;54:57-64.
- Wewers, M.E., Lowe, N. K. A critical review of visual analog scales in the measurement of clinical phenomena. Research in Nursing & health 1990; 13(4): 227-236.
- Insall, J.N., Dorr, L.D., Scott, R.D., Scott, W.N. Rationale of the knee society clinical rating system. Clinical Orthopedics and Related Research, 1989;248:13-14.
- Barrack, R.L., Skinner, H.B, Cook, S.D., Haddad Jr., R. J. Effect of articular disease and total knee arthroplasty on knee joint position sense. AJP-JN physiol, 1983;50(3):684-687.
- Lementowski PW, Zelicof SB. Obesity and osteoarthritis. Am J Orthop 2008; 37:148-51.
- Roberts J, Burch TA. Osteoarthritis prevalence in adults by age, sex, race, and geographic area. Vital Health Stat 11. Jun 1966;1-27.
- Pereira D, Peleteiro B, Araújo J, Branco J, Santos RA, Ramos E. The effect of osteoarthritis definition on prevalence and incidence estimates: a systematic review. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. Nov 2011; 19(11):1270-85.
- Slemenda C, Brandt KD, Heilman DK Quadriceps weakness and osteoarthritis of the knee.Ann Intern Med. 1997 Jul 15; 127(2):97-104.
- Hurley MV. The role of muscle weakness in the pathogenesis of osteoarthritis. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. May 1999;25(2):283-98, VI.
- Duman I, Taskaynatan MA Assessment of the impact of proprioceptive exercises on balance and proprioception in patients with advanced knee osteoarthritis. Rheumatol Int. 2012 Dec; 32(12):3793-8.
- Thompson KR, Mikesky AE, Bahamonde RE, Burr DB Effects of physical training on proprioception in older women. J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact. 2003 Sep;3(3):223-31.
- Volga BayrakciTunay, Hospital-based versus home-based proprioceptive and strengthening exercise programs in knee osteoarthritis.ActaOrthopTraumatolTurc 2010; 44(4):270-277
- Rajan, R. A., Pack, Y., Jackson, H., Gillies, DemirhanDıracoglu, ResaAydin, MD, Akin Baskent, PT.Effects of Kinesthesia and Balance Exercises in Knee Osteoarthritis.JCR: Journal of Clinical Rheumatology. December 2005;11(6):303–310.
- Da-HonLIN,Chienhojenice, yeong FWU lin.Efficacy of 2 Non–Weight-Bearing Interventions, Proprioception Training Versus Strength Training, for Patients With Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Clinical Trial. Journal Of Orthopaedic &Sports Physical Therapy, June 2009;39(6):450-457.
- Coutts, F. Total joint replacements. Chapter 8 p. 253-262. In Physiotherapy in orthopaedics a problem solving approach Second Edition (2005) Ed Atkinson, K., Coutts, F., Hassenkamp, A-M. Churchill Livingstone: London.
- Jones, D.L., Westby, M.D., Greidanus, N., Johanson, N.A., Krebs, D.E., Robbins, L., Rooks, D.S., Brander, V. Update on hip and knee arthroplasty: current state of evidence. Arthritis & Rheumatism2005;53(5):772-780.
- Mizner, R.L., Petterson, S.C., Snyder-Mackler, L. Quadriceps strength and the time course of functional recovery after total knee arthroplasty. Journal of Orthopaedic and Sports Physical Therapy 2005;35:424-436.
- Ulrich, S.D., Bhave, A., Marker, D.R., Seyler, T.M., Mont, M.A. Focused rehabilitation treatment of poorly functioning total knee arthroplasties. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2007;464:138-145.
- Bennell, K. L., Hunt, M. A., Wrigley, T. V., Boon-Whatt, L., Hinman, R. S. Role of muscle in the genesis and management of knee osteoarthritis. Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America 2008;34:731-754.
- Barrett, D.S. Proprioception and Function after Anterior Cruciate Ligament. J Bone Joint Surg [Br], 1991;73B:833-837.
- Warren, P.J., Olanlokun, T.K., Cobb, A.G., Bentley, G. Proprioception after knee arthroplasty: the influence of a prosthetic design. Clinical Orthopedics and related research. Dec,1993.
- Skinner, H.B., Barrack, R.L., Cook, S.D., Haddad Jr., R.J. Joint position Sense in total knee arthroplasty. Journal of orthopaedic Research, 1993.
- Ishii, Y., Kazuhiro, T., Terashima, S., Bechtold, J.E., Laskin, R.S. Comparison of joint position sense after total knee arthroplasty.Journal of Arthroplasty, Aug 1997;12(5):541-545.
- Forrest, G., Fuchs, M., Gutierrez, A., Girardy, J. Factors affecting length of stay and need of rehabilitation after hip and knee arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty, Feb 1998;13(2):186-190.
Santosh Metgud, B.B. Putti. EFFECT OF PROPRIOCEPTIVE EXERCISES IN OSTEOARTHRITIC AND REPLACED KNEES. Int J Physiother Res 2015;3(6):1294-1300. DOI: 10.16965/ijpr.2015.194