Type of Article : Review
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 6 | Page No. 1288-1293
Date of Publication: 11-12-2015
MANAGEMENT OF POSTURAL LOW BACK PAIN AMONG THE INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY PROFESSIONALS: A MULTIPLE THERAPUETIC INTERVENTION APPROACH
Vengata Subramani Manoharan *, Subramanian Ganesh sundaram, Jacob Isaac Jason.
Physiotherapy Department, Faculty of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Universiti Kuala Lumpur- Royal College of Medicine Perak, Malaysia.
Corresponding author: Mr. Vengata Subramani Manoharan, Physiotherapy Department, Faculty of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, Universiti Kuala Lumpur- Royal College of Medicine Perak, Malaysia.
Hand is a vital and inevitable organ for humans. It functions start from a fine to gross motor activities. Many daily functions and sports events require high activity of hands. Hand and forearm muscles are important in grip strength. The American society of hand therapist (ASHT) recommended testing protocol in which the subject is seated upright against the back of a chair with flat on the floor. A literature survey covering the fields of ergonomics, medicine, biology and anthropology was conducted to develop a database. We suggest that a standard method is needed to enable more consistent measurement of grip strength and better assessment.
KEY WORDS: Hand Grip, Strength, Muscles, Hand therapist, Ergonomics, Assessment.
- Cheung CL, Nguyen DT, Eleanor A, Tan KCB, Kung AWC. Association of handgrip strength with chronic diseases and multimorbidity-A cross-sectional study, Age (Dordr). 2013;35:929–41.
- Fess EE. Grip strength. In J.S.Casanova (Ed.), Clinical Assessment Recommendations, American Society of Hand Therapists, Chicago. 1992;2:41-5.
- Richards LG. Posture effects on grip strength, Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1997;78:1154-6.
- Teraoka, T. Studies on peculiarity of grip strength in relation to body positions and aging, Kobe Journal of Medicine Science. 1979;25:4-17.
- Shyam kumar AJ, Parmar V, Ahmed S, Kar S, Harper WM. A study of grip endurance and strength in different elbow positions, J Orthop Traumatol Invest. 2008;9:209-11.
- Balagun JA, Akomolfae CT, Amusa LO. Grip strength: effects of testing posture and elbow position, Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1991;72:280-3.
- Incel NA, Ceceli E, Durukan PB, Erdem HR, Yorgancioglu ZR. Grip strength: effect of hand dominance, Singap. Med. J. 2002;43:234-7.
- Reikeras O. Bilateral difference of normal hand strength, Archv Orthop. Trauma Surgery. 1983;101:223-4.
- Roberts HC, Denison HJ, Martin HJ, Patel HP, Syddall H, Cooper C. A review of grip strength in clinical and epidemiological studies: towards a standard approach, Age Ageing. 2011;40:423-9.
- Shepard RJ. Exercise and training in women, Part I: influence of gender on exercise training Responses, Canad. J. Appl. Physio. 2000;25:19-34.
- Guo CB, Zhang W, Ma DQ, Zhang KH, Huang JQ. Hand grip strength: an indicator of nutritional state and the mix of postoperative complications in patients with oral and maxillofacial cancers, Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1996;34:325-7.
- Kenjle K, Ghurge P, Udipi S. Grip Strength as an Index for Assessment of Nutritional Status of Children Aged 6-10 Years, Journal of Nutrition and Science Vitaminol (Tokyo). 2005;51:87-92.
- Wang AY, Sea MM, Ho ZS, Lui SF, Li P, Woo J. Evaluation of handgrip strength as a nutritional marker and prognostic indicator in peritoneal dialysis patients, Am J Clin Nutr. 2005;81:79-86.
- Davido S, David C. wrist position affects hand grip strength in tennis players. ISBS 2009, ISSN 1999-4168.
- Su C, Lin JH, Chein TH, Cheng KF, Sung YT. Grip strength in different position of elbow and shoulder, Arch Phys Med Rehabi. 1994;21:812-5.
- Swanson S, Alfred B, Ivan BM, Groot D. “The strength of hand”, JACPOC. 1974;13:1-8.
- Kamarul T, Ahmad TS, Loh WY. A novel and improved method of predicting hand grip strength in the adult population, Med J Malaysia. 2006;61:37-44.
- Martin S, Neale G, Elia M. Factors affecting momentary grip strength. Human Nutrition: Clinical Nutrition. 1985;39C:137-47.
- Anakwe RE, Huntley JS, Mc Eachan JE. Grip strength and forearm circumference in a healthy population, J Hand Surg Eur. 2007;32:203-9.
- Vikram M, Noor Shafiqah S, Muhammad J, Nor Y, Leonard JH, Ida O. Forearm circumference and hand length predict maximal hand grip strength among Malaysian population, Middle-East J. Sci. Res. 2014;21:634-9.
- Fraser A, Vallow J, Preston A, Cooper RG. Predicting 'normal' grip strength for rheumatoid arthritis patients, Rheumatology (Oxford). 1999;38:521-8.
- Mohamed SS, Umama NS, Padmakumar S, Naajil M, Manjula S. Correlation between Grip Strength and Physical Factors in Men, Int J Health Rehabil Sci. 2012;1:58-63.
- Hadfield JA. The psychology of power. New York, Macmillan Company, 1923;9-18.
- Watson J, Ring D. Influence of psychological factors on grip strength, J Hand Surg Am, 2008;33:1791-5.
- Jung EL, Ki WK, Nam-Jong P, Hak C J, Chong BC, Goo HB, Young HL, Hyun S. Evaluation of Factors Influencing Grip Strength in Elderly Koreans, J Bone Metab. 2012;19:103–10.
- Mark WC. Effect of temperature on muscle force and rate of muscle force production in men and women, JOSPT. 1994;20:74-80.
- Deepak BA, Tejashree B, Ashish JP. Effect of cold & hot temperature on hand grip strength in normal individuals: Cross sectional study, VIMS Health Sci Journal. 2015;2:13-15.
- Barter TJ, Freer PC. Effect of temperature on handgrip holding time. Br J Sports Med, 1984;18:91–5.
- Ruff S, Hubertus S. Compendium of aviation medicine, Alien property custodian. 1942;32-4:67-9.
- Consolazio WV. The effect on personnel of various concentrations of carbon dioxide and oxygen under conditions of submarine operations. Research project X1945-349.
- Sokran SN, Mohan V, Kamaruddin K, Sulaiman MD, Awang Y, Othman IR, Victor SJ. Hand Grip Strength and Myocardial Oxygen Consumption Index among Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Patients, Iran J Med Sci. 2015;40:335-40.
- Cortopassi F, Celli B, Divo M, Pinto-Plata V. (). Longitudinal changes in hand grip strength, hyperinflation and 6-minute walk distance in COPD patients and a control group, Chest. 2015 May 21. doi: 10.1378/chest.14-2878.
- Burke W. The relation of grip strength and grip strength endurance to age, Journal of Applied Physiology. 1953;5:628-30.
- Fernandes A, Brito J, Vieira C, Marins J. Effect of peripheral muscle fatigue during the testing of handgrip strength, Fisioter Mov. 2014;27:407-12.
- Flood A, Chung A, Parker H, Kearns V, O'Sullivan TA. The use of hand grip strength as a predictor of nutrition status in hospital patients, Clin Nutr. 2014;33:106-14.
- Chilima DM, Ismail SJ. Nutrition and handgrip strength of older adults in rural Malawi, Public Health Nutr. 2001;4:11-7.
- Navdeep K, Shyamal K. An Association of Nutritional Status and Hand Grip Strength in Female Labourers of North India, Anthropologist. 2010;12:237-43.
- Saud O, Nowall S, Mohammed N. Smoking Impact on Grip Strength and Fatigue Resistance: Implications for Exercise and Hand Therapy Practice, JPAH. 2014;11:1025-31.
- Kozir LP. ACSM Current Comment: Alcohol and Athletic Performance.2014.
- Shih YC, Chen WL, Chi C. The Effects of Gender, Exerting type, and Temperature on Hand grip/pinch strength under the Muscular Fatigue, ISTASC'09. 2009; 50-55.
- Armstrong CA, Oldham JA. A comparison of dominant and non-dominant hand strengths, J Hand Surg Br. 1999;24:421-5.
- Josty IC, Tyler M, Shewell PC, Roberts A. Grip and pinch strength variations in different types of workers, J Hand Surg. 1997;22B: 266–9.
- Crosby CA, Marwan AW, Mabr W. Hand strength: Normative values, The Journal of Hand Surger. 1994;19:665-70.
Vengata Subramani Manoharan, Subramanian Ganesh sundaram, Jacob Isaac Jason. FACTORS AFFECTING HAND GRIP STRENGTH AND ITS EVALUATION: A SYSTEMIC REVIEW. Int J Physiother Res 2015;3(6):1288-1293. DOI: 10.16965/ijpr.2015.193