Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 5 | Page No. 1239-1243
Date of Publication: 11-10-2015
EFFECTIVENESS OF ICE PACK VERSUS COLD WATER IMMERSION ON STATIC AND DYNAMIC BALANCE IN ANKLE SPRAIN
T. M. Seshagiri Rao *1, Divya Vemali 2.
*1 Assistant Professor, SIMS College of Physiotherapy, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India.
2 Post Graduate, SIMS College of Physiotherapy, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Corresponding author: Dr. M.Seshagirirao. PT., M.P.T. Sports Medicine, Assistant Professor, SIMS College of Physiotherapy, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India.
Background: Cryotherapy is commonly used in physical therapy with many known benefits; however several investigations reported decreased functional performance, there is lack of evidence detailing the effects of Cryotherapy in ankle sprain individuals. Therefore, the purpose of the present study is to know the effectiveness of ice pack versus cold water immersion on static and dynamic balance in ankle sprain.
Materials and Methods: 30 subjects with ankle sprain were participated and randomly divided into two groups 15 each. Group A received ice pack application, group B cold water immersion for 20 minutes duration of 10 days. Static balance (balance error scoring system), dynamic balance (star excursion balance test) were recorded before and after the interventions, were analyzed by using students ‘t’ test.
Results: The static balance for both the groups showed a decrease number of errors in tandem stance and double limb stance after ice pack application, Whereas there is no difference found in single limb stance. Dynamic balance increased in ice pack application compared to ice water immersion.
Conclusion: Results after 10 days showed marked variation suggesting better improvements in both static and dynamic balance by ice pack application than cold water immersion for ankle sprain athletes.
KEY WORDS: Ice Pack, Cold water immersion, Static Balance, Dynamic Balance, Ankle Sprain.
- Brooks SC , Potter BT , Rainey JB. Treatment for partial tears of the lateral ligament of the ankle ; a prospective trail . Br Med J (Clin Res Ed)1981;282:606-607.
- Mc Culloch PG , Holden P , Robson DJ , Rowley DJ , Norcin SH. The value of mobilization and non –steroidal anti- inflammatory analgesia in the management of inversion injuries of the ankle . Br J Clin Pract 1985;2:69-72.
- Ruth C . The surgical treatment of injuries of the fibular collateral ligaments of the ankle. J Bone Joint Surge Am. 1961;43:229-239.
- Lassiter TE Jr, Malone TR, Garrett WE Jr. Injury to the lateral ligaments of the ankle orthope clin North Am. 1989;20:629-640 .
- Mc Conkey JP. Ankle sprains, consequences and minics Med Sport Sci. 1987;23:39-55.
- Mac Auley D. Ankle injuries; same joint, different sports. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 1999;31 (7 Suppl):409-411 .
- Viljakka T, Rokkanen P. The treatment of ankle sprain by bandaging and anti phlogistic drugs. Ann Chir Gynaecol. 1988;72:66-70.
- Bleakley CM, Mc Donough SM, M ac Auley DC. The use of ice in the treatment of acute soft tissue injuries. A systematic review of randomised controlled trails. Am J Sports Med 2004;32:251-61.
- Bleakley CM, Mac Auley DC Mc Donough SM. How good is ice in the treatment of acute soft tissue injuries? In Mac Auley D, Best T, eds. Evidence based sports medicine, 2nd ed. Oxford : Blackwell BMJ books;2006
- Bleakley CM , Costello JT , Glasgow PD . Should athelets Return to sport after applying ice ? Sports Med . 2012;42(1):69-87.
- Ruiz DH, Myrer JW, Durrant E, Fellingham GW. Cryotherapy and sequential exercise bouts following cryotherapy on concentric and eccentric strength in the quadriceps. J Athl Train. 1993;Winter;28(4):320-3.
- Richendollar ML, Darby LA, Brown TM. Ice bag application, active warm –up and 3 measure functional performance. J Athl train 2006;41(4):364.
- Cross KM, Wilson RW, Perrin DH. Functional performance following on ice immersion to the lower extremity. J Athl Train. 1996;31(2):113-116.
- Bergh U, Ekblom B. Influence of muscle temperature on maximal muscle strength and power output in human skeletal muscles. Acta Physiological scandinavica. 1979;107(1):33-37.
- Pereria LG, Pereria R, Neto OP, Magini M. The short and long term effects of tibialis anterior local cooling on dorsiflexion force. J human kinet 2010;26(1):65-71.
- Kernozek TW, Greany JE, Anderson DR, et al. The effects of immersion cryotherapy on medial lateral postural sway variability in individuals with a lateral ankle sprain. Physiother Res Int 2008;13(2):107-118.
- Algafly AA, George KP. The effects of cryotherapy on nerve conduction velocity, pain threshold and pain tolerance. Br J Sport Med.2007;41:365-369.
- Bleakley C, MC Donough S, Mac Auley D. The use of ice in the treatment of acute soft tissue injury. A systemic review of randomised controlled trails. Am J Sports Med .2004; 32(1) : 251-261.
- Costello JT, Donnelly AE. Cryotherapy and joint position sense in healthy participants : a systemic review. J Athl Train. 2010; 45(3): 306-316.
- Wassinger CA, JB Myers, gatti JM, Conley KM, Lephart SM. Proprioception and throwing accuracy in the dominant shoulder after cryotherapy. J Athl Train.2007; 47:84-89.
- Lephart SM, Pincivero DM, JK JKG, FU FH. The role of proprioception in the management and rehabilitation of athletic injuries. Am J Sports Med 1997; 25 :130-137.
- Mathew Douglas, DPT, serene bivens, DPT: Immediate effects of cryotherapy on static and dynamic balance international journal of sports physical therapy, vol8, number 1, feb 2013.
- Gribble PA, Hertel J. Considerations for normalizing measures of the Star Excursion Balance Test. Measure Phys Educ Exerc Sci. 2003;7:89–100.
- Riemann BL, Guskiewicz KM, Shields EW. Relationship between clinical and forceplate measures of postural stability. J Sport Rehabil. 1999;8:71–82.
- Hertel J,Miller JS, Denegar CR. Intratester and intertester reliability during the star excursion balance Tests. J Sport Rehabil. 2000;9:104-116.
- Olmsted LC, Carcia CR, Hertel J, Shultz SJ. Efficacy of the star excursion balance tests in detecting reach deficits in subjects with chronic ankle instability. J Athl Train. 2002;37:501-506.
- Wolf SL, Basmajian JV. Intramuscular temperature changes deep to localized cutaneous cold stimulation. Phys Ther. 1973;53:1284-88.
- Rupp KA, Herman DC, Hertel J, Saliba SA. Intramusclar temperature changes during and after 2 different cryotherapy interventions in healthy individuals. J orthop sports Phys Ther. 2012;42:731-37.
- Surenkok O, Aytar A, Tüzün EH, et al. Cryotherapy impairs knee joint position sense and balance. Isokinet Exerc Sci. 2008;37:71–9.
- Hopper D, Whittington D, Davies J. Does ice immersion influence ankle position sense? Physiother Res Int. 1997;2:223-236.
M. Seshagiri Rao, Divya Vemali. EFFECTIVENESS OF ICE PACK VERSUS COLD WATER IMMERSION ON STATIC AND DYNAMIC BALANCE IN ANKLE SPRAIN. Int J Physiother Res 2015;3(5):1239-1243. DOI: 10.16965/ijpr.2015.183