Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 4 | Page No. 1184-1187
Date of Publication: 11-08-2015
CORRELATION OF ANKLE DORSIFLEXION RANGE OF MOTION WITH DYNAMIC BALANCE IN YOUNG NORMAL INDIVIDUALS
Pranali Suryavanshi 1, Ajay kumar 2, Parag Kulkarni 3,Prakash Patel*4.
1 Intern, DPO's NETT college of Physiotherapy, Thane (W), Maharashtra, India.
2 Principal, DPO's NETT College of Physiotherapy, Thane (W), Maharashtra, India.
3 Associate professor, DPO's NETT College of Physiotherapy, Thane (W), Maharashtra, India.
*4 Lecturer, SPB Physiotherapy College, Surat, Gujarat, India.
Corresponding author: Dr. Prakash Patel, Lecturer, SPB Physiotherapy College, Ugat bhesan road, Surat, Gujarat, India. Mobile no.: +91 7874512423
This study was to examine correlation of ankle dorsiflexion range of motion with dynamic balance in young normal individuals. A cross sectional study has been done on 60 females by convenient sampling. The study was to examine dorsiflexion ROM by using star excursion balance test. It was performed in all directions for three trials. Distance was recorded with measure tape. Ankle ROM was performed by weight bearing lunge. Individuals who demonstrate impairments in dorsiflexion ROM may also demonstrate difficulty with portions of the SEBT. There is significant positive correlation in between dorsiflexion range of motion and star excursion balance test in anterior and postero lateral direction.
KEY WORDS: Star Excursion Balance Test (SEBT), Dorsiflexion range of motion (DROM), WBLT, Dynamic balance.
- Winter, D. A., Patla, A. E., Frank, J. S. Assessment of balance control in humans. Medical Progress Through Technology, 1990;16(1):31–51.
- Guskiewicz, K. M., & Perrin, D. H. Research and clinical applications of assessing balance. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation 1996;5(1):45–63.
- Freeman, M. A. R., Dean, M. R. E., & Hanham, I. W. F. (1965). The etiology and prevention of functional instability of the foot. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 1965;47B:669–677.
- Riemann BL. Is there a link between chronic ankle instability and postural instability? J Athl Train. 2002;37(4):386–393.
- Donahoe, B., Turner, D., Worrell, T. The use of functional reach as a measurement of balance in boys and girls without disabilities age 5 to 15 years. Pediatric Physical Therapy 1994;6:189–193.
- Berg, K., Wood-Dauphinee, S., Williams, J. I., & Maki, B. Measuring balance in the elderly: Validation of an instrument. Canadian Journal of Public Health 1992;83(Supp-2):S7–S11.
- Rossiter-Fornoff, J. E.,Wolf, S. L.,Wolfson, S. L., & Buchner, D.M. A cross-sectional validation study of the FICSIT common data base static balance measures. Frailty and injuries: Cooperative studies of intervention techniques. Journal of Gerontology 1995;50a:291–297.
- Kinzey SJ, Armstrong CW. The reliability of the Star Excursion Balance Test in assessing dynamic balance. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 1998;27(5):356–360.
- Hertel, J., Miller, S., Denegar, C. Intratester and intertester reliability during the Star Excursion Balance Test. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation 2000;9(2):104–116.
- Miller, J. Biomechanical analysis of the anterior balance reach test. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Pennsylvania State University, University Park. 2001.
- Gribble PA, Hertel J, Denegar CR, Buckley WE. The effects of fatigue and chronic ankle instability on dynamic postural control. J Athl Train. 2004;39(4):321–329.
- Hoch MC, Staton GS, Medina McKeon JM, Mattacola CG, McKeon PO. Dorsiflexion and dynamic postural control deficits are present in those with chronic ankle instability. J Sci Med Sportt. 2012;15(6):574–579.
- Olmsted, L. C., Carcia, C. R., Hertel, J., Shultz, S. J. Efficacy of the Star Excursion Balance Test in detecting reach deficits in subjects with chronic ankle instability. Journal of Athletic Training 2002;37(4):501–506.
- Earl, J. Relationships among dynamic malalignment, neuromuscular rehabilitation, and patellofemoral pain syndrome. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Pennsylvania State University, University Park. 2002.
Pranali Suryavanshi, Ajay kumar, Parag Kulkarni, Prakash Patel. CORRELATION OF ANKLE DORSIFLEXION RANGE OF MOTION WITH DYNAMIC BALANCE IN YOUNG NORMAL INDIVIDUALS. Int J Physiother Res 2015;3(4):1184-1187. DOI: 10.16965/ijpr.2015.166