Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 1 | Page No. 894-904
Date of Publication: 11-02-2015
EFFECT OF HIP ABDUCTOR STRENGTHENING AMONG NON-PROFESSIONAL CYCLISTS WITH ILIOTIBIAL BAND FRICTION SYNDROME
PhD Scholar, Department of Orthopaedics (PMRT, GMCH), Padmashree Institute of Physiotherapy, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
Corresponding author: Jayanta Nath, MPT, PhD Scholar, Department of Orthopaedics (PMRT, GMCH), Padmashree Institute of Physiotherapy, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
Background and Objectives: The study was carried out to find out the effect of hip abductor strengthening among non-professional cyclists with iliotibial band friction syndrome.
Subjects: 40 non-professional cyclists with ipsilateral ITBFS subject including male and female age between 18 to 50 with positive ober’s and nobble test were included in this study.
Methods: 40 subject were selected according to the inclusion criteria and they were assessed pre and post for ROM (hip adduction, IR), hip abductor strength and pain using goniometer,sphygmomanometer and VAS. Subject were assign experimental group(group A 20 subject) who received IT band stretching,US,and hip abductor strengthening exercise and control group (group B 20 subject) who received same treatment except hip abductor strengthening.
Data Analysis and Results: Based on statistical analysis using Wilcoxon test to compare the pre and post test pain in both group,Mann- whitney U- test to compare the post test pain scores of between groups ,Paired t - test to compare the pre and post ROM and strength in both groups, Unpaired t – test to compare post test ROM in between groups showed that pre post difference within group A there was significant difference for adduction ROM (p value <.0001),IR (p value <.0001),VAS(p value <.0001),and strength improve pre mean 40.80 to post mean 66.30 (p value <.0001).However in group B adduction ROM and VAS were found to be significant.
In comparision in difference between groups it was found that adduction ROM,IR ROM,VAS and strength all were significant. Baseline data for outcome variable were not statistically significant.
Conclusion: Based on outcome variable there was significant difference of hip abductor strengthening among non-professional cyclist with iliotibial band friction syndrome.
KEYWORDS: Iliotibial band, Iliotibial band friction syndrome, Repetitive stress injury,hip abduction strength,VAS, Cycling injury.
- Michael F, Curtis LC, Ajit MC, Brian CD, Nina O, BS, Shirley AS. Hip abductor weakness in distance runners with iliotibial band syndrome. Clinical journal of sport medicine. 2000 March;10:169-175.
- Barber FA, Sutker AN. Iliotibial band syndrome. Sport med. 1992; 14:144–148.
- Kirk LK, Kuklo T, Klemme W. Iliotibial band friction syndrome. Orthopaedics. 2000;23(11):1209 –1214.
- Orchard JW, Fricker PA, Abud AT, Mason BR. Biomechanics of iliotibial band friction syndrome in runners. Am j sport med. 1996;24(3):375–379.
- Holmes JC, Pruitt AL, Whalen NJ. Iliotibial band syndrome in cyclists. Am Orthop Soc sports med. 1993;21:419 –424.
- Ningthoujam Sandhyarani. Iliotibial band syndrome. Available from URL: http://www.buzzle.com/articles/iliotibial-band-syndrome.html.
- Krivickas LS. Anatomical factors associated with overuse sports injuries. Sport Med. 1997;24:132–146.
- Orava S. Iliotibial tract friction syndrome in athletes-an uncommon exertion syndrome on the lateral side of the knee. Br j sports med. 1978;12:69–73.
- Taunton J, Ryan M, Clement D, McKenzie D, Lloyd-Smith D, Zumbo B. A retrospective case–control analysis of 2002 running injuries. Br j sports med. 2002;36(2):95-101.
- Linenger JMCC. Is iliotibial band syndrome overlooked? Phys sports med. 1992;20:98 108.
- Takaishi T, Yamamoto T, Ono T, Ito T, Moritani T. Neuromuscular, metabolic, and kinetic adaptations for skilled pedalling performance in cyclists. Med sci Sports exercise. 1998;30(3):442 –449.
- Jerold MS, Pietro MT, Timothy DM. Iliotibial Band Syndrome.Available from URL: http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/91129-overview Updated: Jan 4, 2008.
- Reinhardt T, Norbert W, Thomas J, Ronald V. Power measurement in cycling using inductile coupling of energy and data. The engineering of sport. 2008; 1:397-403.
- Steven J K,Cynthia K. Iliotibial band friction syndrome .2009 Available from:URL: http://www.emedicine.medscape.com/article/1250716-overview.
- James C.H, Andrew L.P, Nina J W. Iliotibial band syndrome in cyclist. Am j sport med. 1993 June;21(3):419-424.
- Mac Mahon JM, Chaudhari AM, Andriacchi TP. Biomechanical injury predictors for marathon runners: striding towards iliotibial band syndrome injury prevention. Conference of the international society of biomechanics in Sports. Hong Kong; June 2000.
- Brian N, Irene D, Joseph H. ASB clinical biomechanics award winner 2006 prospective study of the biomechanical factors associated with iliotibial band syndrome.Clinical biomechanics. 2007;22:951-956.
Jayanta Nath. EFFECT OF HIP ABDUCTOR STRENGTHENING AMONG NON-PROFESSIONAL CYCLISTS WITH ILIOTIBIAL BAND FRICTION SYNDROME. Int J Physiother Res 2015;3(1):894-904. DOI: 10.16965/ijpr.2015.105