Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 3 | Page No. 2784-2794
Date of Publication: 30-09-2016
ANALYSIS OF ESTHETIC COMPONENTS OF SMILE IN NORTH INDIAN FEMALES
Archana Goel *1, Patnaik VVG 2.
*1 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, MMIMSR Mullana, Ambala, India.
2 Professor, Department of Anatomy, MMIMSR Mullana, Ambala, India.
Address: Dr. Archana Goel, Assistant Professor, MMIMSR Mullana, 14-D, Ram Nagar, Ambala, India. Mobile no.- 8059931320
Background: The smile constitutes an important component in the presentation of a human being favoring his or her social acceptance. Both the upper and lower lips have a marked effect on the beauty of the smile.
Aim and Objectives: The aim of the study was to analyze the esthetic components of the smile, evaluating the relationship between the curve formed by the incisal line of the anterior superior teeth and the curve of the inferior lip, the touch of this incisal line on the inferior lip, the teeth displayed during smile, the relationship between the facial midline with the arch midline and compared the data with the previous studies.
Materials and Methods: This cross sectional study was conducted on 300 North Indian females age group 18-40 years in MM Institute of medical sciences and research Mullana. Prior informed written consent for this study was obtained from all the subjects. The exclusion and inclusion criteria for the subjects were predefined. Photographs were taken both in rest position as well as Smile position using digital camera with high resolution.
Results: Showed that in north Indian females the alignment of upper incisal edge to lower lip was convex in 166 (55.3%), Position of upper lip while smile was average type in 159(53%), 93(32.3%) showed touching of incisal line to lower lip, 8 teeth (six anterior and first premolars) were displayed during a full smile in 210 (70%) females, midline through philtrum was seen to pass most commonly through the centre of two central incisors in 226 (75.3%) females, Normal space was seen in 281(93.7%) female subjects. This standard may serve as a guideline for restoration or enhancement of esthetic and plastic surgery for smile of north Indian females which will enable the surgeon to offer a better cosmetic result.
Key words: Esthetic, Smile, North Indian females, plastic surgery, lip.
- Grove PB. Webster’s third new international dictionary of the English language. Springfield: G and C Merriam Company; 1961.
- Mathews TG. The anatomy of a smile. J Prosthet Dent. 1978 Feb;39(2):128-34.
- Tarantili VV, Halazonetis DJ, Spyropoulos MN. The spontaneous smile in dynamic motion. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. ;128(1):8-15.
- Ackerman, J.L.; Ackerman, M.B.; Brensinger, C.M.; and Landis, J.R.:A morphometric analysis of the posed smile, Clin. Orth. Res. 1998;1:2-11.
- Cosendey V L. Avaliação do relacionamento entre o lábiosuperior e incisivos durante a fala e o sorriso. [dissertação]. Rio de Janeiro (RJ): Universidade do Estado do Rio de Janeiro;2008.
- Solomon EGR. Esthetic consideration of smile. J Indian prosthodont soc 1999;10(3,4):41-6.
- Sarver DM. The importance of incisor positioning in the esthetic smile: The smile arc. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2001;120(2):98-111.
- Ekstrand KR, Christiansen J, Christiansen MEC. Time and duration of eruption of first and second permanent molars: a longitudinal investigation. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 2003 Oct;31(5):344-50.
- Patnaik VVG, Singla RK, Bala S. Anatomy of ‘a beautiful face and smile’. J Anat Soc India 2003;52(1):74-80.
- Tjan AHL, Miller GD, The JGP. Some esthetic factors in a smile. J Prosthet Dent 1984 Jan;51(1):24-28.
- Zachrisson BU. Esthetic factors involved in anterior tooth display and smile: vertical dimension. J Clin Orthod 1998;32(7):432-45.
- Al-johany SS, Alqahtani AS, Alqahtani FY, Alzahrani AH. Evaluation of different esthetic smile criteria. Int J Prosthodont 2011;24(1):64-70.
- Dong JK, Jin TH, Cho HW, OH SC. The Esthetics of the Smile: A Review of Some Recent Studies.Int J Prosthodont 1999;12(1):9-19.
- Goel A, Patnaik VVG. Dentofacial analysis in North Indian females. Int. J. Pure App. Biosci. 2013;1(3):28-33.
- Kaur G, Patnaik VVG, Kaushal S. The anatomy of smile. Journal of Medical College Chandigarh 2011;1(1):20-3.
- Câmara CA. Aesthetics in Orthodontics: Six horizontal smile lines. Dental Press J. Orthod. 2010;15(1):118-131.
- Patnaik VVG, Goel A. lip morphometery and dentofacial analysis – base data for personal identification and forensic significance – a study done in 250 north Indian adults. J Indo Pacific Acad Forensic Odontol. 2010;1(1):5-11.
- Murakami Y., Deguchi T., Kageyama T., Miyazawa H., Foong K.W.C., Assessment of the esthetic smile in young Japnese women. Orthodontic waves 2008;67:104-112.
- Sarver DM, JL Ackerman. Orthodontics about face: The re-emergence of the esthetic paradigm. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2000;117(5):575-6.
Archana Goel, Patnaik VVG. ANALYSIS OF ESTHETIC COMPONENTS OF SMILE IN NORTH INDIAN FEMALES. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(3):2789-2794. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.333