Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 3 | Page No. 2757-2759
Date of Publication: 31-08-2016
A STUDY OF MORPHOLOGICAL VARIATION OF ANTERIOR CHEST WALL MUSCULATURE: RECTUS THORACIS BIFERCALIS
Assistant Professor, Department Of Anatomy, Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College, Salem, Tamilnadu, India.
Address: Dr. Prabavathi P. Assistant Professor, Department Of Anatomy, Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College, Salem -636030, Tamilnadu, India. E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Introduction: The Sternalis muscle (Rectus Sternalis muscle) is an uncommon variant of the human anterior thoracic wall musculature.
Aim: A cadaveric study was conducted to report the incidence and morphological features of sternalis muscle. The rare occurrence of rectus sternalis might be very informative and helpful in various clinical and academic fields.
Materials and Methods: The present study was undertaken in 32 formalin fixed adult human cadavers in the department of anatomy to find out the incidence of sternalis muscle.
Conclusion: The incidence of rectus sternalis in the present study was estimated as 3.2 %. Although a rare muscular variation, because of its resemblance to a soft tissue mass on radiological evaluation, it gained popularity among Anatomists, Radiologists and Surgeons. Hence its presence causes implication during mastectomy, implant reconstruction surgeries of mammary gland and modifying the approach during mammoplasty.
KEY WORDS: Sternalis, Rectus Sternalis, Rectus Thoracis bifurcalis, Unilateral.
- Arráez-aybar la, sobrado-perez j, merida-velasco jr. Left musculus sternalis. clin anat, 2003;16(4):350–354.
- Susan Standring,Gray’s Anatomy,The Anatomical Basis of clinical practice,40th edition;2008, pg 808.
- Seyed Hadi Anjamrooz. Biceps sternalis: a Y-shaped muscle on the anterior chest wall. J Cardiothorac Surg. 2013; 8: 38. Published online 2013 Mar 7. doi: 10.1186/1749-8090-8-38.
- Kida MY, Izumi A, Tanaka S. Sternalis muscle: Topic for debate. Clin Anat 2000;13:138-140.
- Nisha D.Parmar. A study of morphological variation of pectoral region muscle’Rectus Sternalis’ in South Gujarat Region. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(2):2423-28.
- T W Sadler. Langmans Medical Embryology, 9th edition. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore, pp.199-209, 2004.
- Barlow RN. The sternalis muscle in American whites and Negroes. Anat Rec 1935;61: 413-426.
- Cunningham DJ. The musculus sternalis. Journal of Anatomy and Physiology 1888;22: 391-407.
- Last RJ. Textbook of Anatomy, regional and applied. 9th ed. Edinburgh (Scotland): Churchill Livingstone; 1994,pg 54.
- Christian HA, Two instances in which musculus sternalis Existed: one associated with other anomalies, John Hopkins Hosp Bull, 1898;9:235–240.
- Vandana Mehta et al. Rectus thoracis bifurcalis: a new variant in the anterior chest wall musculature.Romanian Journal of Morphology and Embryology2010;51(4):799–801.
- Shah.A.C. The sternalis muscle.Indian J.Med.Sci.1968;22:46-47.
- Bharathi.D et al. Morphology of Rectus Sternalis: A Cadaveric Study, International Journal Of Life Sciences Research.2014;7(2):070-072..
- Sumalatha et al. Morphology of unilateral Rectus Sternalis: A Cadaveric Study. International Journal Of Biomedical Research.2016;2(4):65-67.
- Bailey PM, Tzarnas CD. The sternalis muscle: a normal finding encountered during breast surgery. Plast Reconstr Surg 1999;103:1189-1190.
- Scott-Conner CEH, Al-Jurf AS. The sternalis muscle. Clin Anat. 2002;15:67–69.
- Harish K., Gopinath K.S. Sternalis muscle:importance in surgery of the breast. Surg Radiol Anat 2003;25:311-314.
- Schulman MR, Chun JK. The conjoined sternalis-pectoralis muscle flap in immediate tissue expander reconstruction after mastectomy. Ann Plast Surg. 2005;55(6):672–675.
- Khan UD. Use of the rectus sternalis in augmentation mammoplasty: case report and literature search. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2008;32(1):21–24.
Prabavathi P. A STUDY OF MORPHOLOGICAL VARIATION OF ANTERIOR CHEST WALL MUSCULATURE: RECTUS THORACIS BIFERCALIS. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(3):2757-2759. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.325