Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 3 | Page No. 2750-2756
Date of Publication: 31-08-2016
A STUDY OF MORPHOMETRY OF SUPERIOR ARTICULAR FACET OF ATLAS AND ITS CLINICAL IMPLICATION IN CENTRAL INDIA
Ashita Kaore *1, Ashish U Kamdi 2, A.P. Kasote 3, N.Y.Kamdi 4, M.P.Fulpatil 5.
*1 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India.
2 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Chandulal Chandrakar Memorial Medical college, Durg, Chattisgarh, India.
3 Professor, Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India.
4 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India.
5 Professor & Head, Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India.
Address: Dr. Ashita Kaore, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Nagpur, Maharashtra, India. Mobile no 9096609763
Introduction: The dimensions of superior articular facet of atlas are important in understanding kinematics of craniovertebral joint and also for any kind of surgery in this region. The aims of the present study are to report the metric parameters of superior articular facet and also to study the morphological variations in shape, constrictions and separation of facets.
Material and Methods: 50 adult human dry atlas vertebra from central India were studied.
Results: The anteroposterior diameter of superior articular facet was found to be 21.33mm 0n right side and 21.37mm on left side, the Transverse diameter was found to be 11.53mm on right side and 11.72mm on left side. Surface area of Superior articular facet was found to be 164.34mm on right side and 165.28mm on left side. Tendency of complete separation of the facets was seen in 2(4%) cases. Oval shape was found to be the dominant shape in 31(31%) cases followed by dumb-bell shape in 24(24%) cases, kidney shape in18(18%) cases and figure of 8 shape in 13(13%) cases.
Conclusion: The detail study of dimensions, shape , surface area of superior articular facet of atlas are useful in internal fixation techniques for craniovertebral junction abnormalities . The knowledge of the dimensions can help in safe planning of these surgeries. This study will be useful for the anatomists, forensic experts, physical anthropologists, radiologists, neurosurgeons, orthopedic surgeons.
Key words: Superior articular facet, Atlas vertebra, Transarticular screw.
- Lalit M, Piplani S, Kullar JS, Arora AK, Mannan R.The morphological analysis of the superior articular facet of the adult human atlas vertebra. JCDR.2011april;5(2):274-7.
- Pait TG, Arnautovic KI, Borba LA. The anatomy of atlantoaxial complex. Perspect Neurol Surg.1997;7:91-8.
- Shamer Singh. Variations of the superior articular facets of atlas vertebrae.Journal of Anatomy. 1965;99: 565-71.
- Dugailly PM, Sobczak S, Sholukha V, Jan SV, Salvia P, Feipel V, et al. In vitro 3D–kinematics of the upper cervical spine: helical axis and simulation for axial rotation and flexion extension. Surg Radiol Anat. 2010; 32:141-51.
- Schaeffer J.P. Morris’s Human Anatomy, A complete systematic. Treatise. 1942;10th ed: 85
- Manjunath V. Motagi, Vallabhajosyula Ranganath. Morphometric Analysis of Superior Articular Facets of Atlas Vertebra and Its Clinical Applications in Ergonomics of Atlanto-Occipital Joints. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2013 Dec;7(12):2674-2676.
- Miyamoto H, Uno K. Cervical pedicle screw insertion using a computed tomography cutout technique. J Neurosurg Spine. 2009;11:681-7.
- Kaur Jasveen, Grewal Harsimran , Singh Poonam, Kumar Ajay . Morphometric study of the articular facets of atlas and axis vertebrae. Unique Journal of Medical and Dental Sciences. 2014;02(02):83-89.
- Yogesh M, Hemanth Raj M N, Amar Singh, Ravi Shankar Gadagi. Morphometric Study of Atlas Vertebrae in South Indian Population. International Journal of Health Sciences & Research. 2014;4(11):103-110.
- Gupta, C, Radhakrishnan, P., Palimar, V, D’souza, ASand Kiruba NL. A quantitative analysis of atlas vertebrae and its abnormalities. J. Morphol. Sci., 2013;30(2):77-81.
- Konig SA, Goldammer A, Vitzthum HE. Anatomical data on the craniocervical junction and their correlation with degenerative changes in 30 cadaveric specimens. J Neurosurg Spine.2005;3:379-85.
- Sengul G, Kadioglu HH. Morphometric anatomy of the atlas and axis vertebrae. Turk Neurosurg. 2006; 16(2):69-76.
- Gomez-Olivencia A, Carretero JM, Arsuaga JL,Rodriguez-Garcia L, Garcia-Gonzalez R, Martinez I.Metric and morphological study of the upper cervical spine from Sima de los Huesos site(Sierra de Atapuerca, Burgos, Spain. J Hum Evol.2007;53:6-25.
- Shilpa N Gosavi, Vatsalaswamy P. Morphometric Study of the Atlas Vertebra using Manual Method. Malaysian Orthopaedic Journal. 2012; 6 (3):18-20.
- Wood-Jones F.The cervical vertebrae of the Australian native. J.Anat.1938; 72(3): 411-5.
- Mysorekar VR, Nandedkar AN. Surface area of atlantooccipital articulations.Acta Anat(Basel) 1986;126:223-5.
- Newell RL, Collins P. Development of the Back. In Standring S, editor. Gray’s Anatomy, the Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice. 40 th ed. Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008;763-73.
- Paraskevas G, Papaziogas B, Traveas A, Natsis K, Spanidou S, Kitsoulis P. Morphological parameters of the superior articular facets of the atlas and potential clinical significance. Surg Radiol Anat.2008;30:611-7.
Ashita Kaore, Ashish U Kamdi, A.P. Kasote, N.Y.Kamdi, M.P.Fulpatil. A STUDY OF MORPHOMETRY OF SUPERIOR ARTICULAR FACET OF ATLAS AND ITS CLINICAL IMPLICATION IN CENTRAL INDIA. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(3):2750-2756. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.324