Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 3 | Page No. 2725-2729
Date of Publication: 31-08-2016
MORPHOMETRIC ANALYSIS OF INFRA ORBITAL FORAMEN IN HUMAN DRY SKULLS
K. Rajeswari * 1, M.Rohinidevi 2, V.Vimala 3, D.Megala 4.
*1,2 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore,Tamil Nadu, India.
3,4Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, India.
Address: Dr. K. Rajeswari, Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore, TamilNadu, India. Mobile no.: +919842229798. E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Background: Knowledge about the morphology of infraorbital foramen (IOF) is important for surgeons, dentists and anesthetists while performing maxillo-facial surgeries.
Materials and Methods: The study was conducted in 52 human dry skulls in Department of Anatomy, Coimbatore Medical College. The location, shape, sagittal and transverse diameter of infra orbital foramen were measured using Vernier calipers. The relation of infraorbital foramen to 1st premolar and presence of accessory foramina were noted.
Results: Out of 52 skulls examined, infra orbital foramen was single in 50 skulls on both sides. The sagittal distance (mean distance between infraorbital margin to superior margin of infraorbital foramen) on the right side was 3.628mm and on left side was 3.822mm. Minimum distance from infra orbital margin to superior margin of infraorbital foramen was 2.5mm and maximum was 6mm. The mean transverse measurement from lateral margin of pyriform aperture to medial margin of infra orbital foramen on right side was 7.451mm and 7.865mm on left side. The minimum distance from lateral margin of pyriform aperture to medial margin of infra orbital foramen was 11mm and maximum was 16mm. In all 52 skulls infraorbital foramen was lateral to 1st premolar except in two skulls with accessory foramen. In skull with accessory foramen, one of the accessory foramina was found to be medial to premolar. Out of 52 skulls studied, shape of the infraorbital foramen was bilaterally vertically oval in 11 skulls, bilaterally transversely oval in 18 skulls and bilaterally circular in 12 skulls, whereas in 9 skulls the infraorbital foramen was vertically oval on one side and transversely oval on the other side. Two skulls had accessory foramen. In one of the two skulls the accessory foramen was unilateral on left side. The shape of both foramina on left side was circular, whereas on right side the shape of the foramen was transversely oval. In the 2nd skull, accessory foramina were present on both sides; the shapes of all foramina were transversely oval.
Conclusion: The findings of our present study will act as a guide for the dentists, surgeons and anaesthetists in localizing infraorbital foramen for infraorbital nerve block in various surgeries.
Key words: Infraorbital foramen, Accessory infraorbital foramen, Pyriform aperture.
- Dutta A K. Essentials of Human Anatomy. The Skull.5th Ed. Current Books International Publishers.2009; pg46-47.
- Macedo VC, Cabrini RR, Faig LH. Infraorbital Foramen Location In Dry Skulls. Braz. J. Morphol. Sci. 2009;26(1):35-38.
- Lokanayaki V. Anatomic Variations of Infra Orbital Foramen. CIBTech Journal of Surgery. 2013;2(2):30-36.
- Ezzeddin E, Weil Fayez N, Amal SI. Anatomical variations of Infra orbital foramen in dry human adult egyptial skulls, Anthropometric measurements and surgical relevant.Int. J. Otolaryngology Clinics. 2013;5(3):125-29.
- Rajani Singh. Morphometric Analysis Of Infra Orbital Foramen In Indian Skulls. Online Journal. (http://creativecommence. Org/ Licenses/ by- nc/3.0/)2011.
- Canan S, Asim OM, Okan B et al. Anatomical variations of the infra orbital foramen. Ann Plastic Surgery.1999;43(6):613-17.
- Shikha S, Anil S, Chetna T et al. Anthropometric measurements of infra orbital foramen and its anatomic variations in dried human skulls. Int. J. Anat. Re. 2015;3(4):1487-90.
- Tilak R, Anshu M, Parmatma M. Morphometric Analysis of Infra Orbital Foramen in North Indian Skulls. Ind. J.of Basic & Applied Medical Research. 2014;4(1):185-92.
- Isurani I, Ganananda N, Nadeeka P. Morphometric Analysis of the Infra Orbital Foramen In Adult Srilankan Skulls. In. J. Morphol. 2010;28(3):777-82.
- Elias MG, Silva RB, Pimental ML et al. Morphometric Analysis of Infra Orbital Foramen And Accessories Foraminas in Brazilian Skulls. Int. J. Morphol. 2004;22(4):273-78.
- Hussain SS, Muralidhar PS, Desai SD. Morphometric Analysis Of Infra Orbital Foramen Position In South Indian Skulls. Indian J. Innovations Dev. 2012(July).
- Gnanagurudasan E, Riyaz AS, Deepalashmi S. A Genderwise Study On The Morphometry Of Infra Orbital Foramen and its Laterally In Dry Adult Skulls Of South Indian Population. Int. J. Med. Sci. Public Health. 2014;3(5):546-48.
- Janghu PK, Samantha PP, Gupta N. Morphometric Analysis of Infra Orbital Foramen In Dry Adult Skulls and its Surgical Relevance. 2011.
K. Rajeswari, M.Rohinidevi, V.Vimala, D.Megala. MORPHOMETRIC ANALYSIS OF INFRA ORBITAL FORAMEN IN HUMAN DRY SKULLS. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(3):2725-2729. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.317