Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 3 | Page No. 2720-2724
Date of Publication: 31-08-2016
MORPHOMETRY OF GLENOID USING DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHS AND IMAGE PROCESSING SOFTWARE
Uma S V *1, Balasubramanyam V 2.
*1 Assistant professor, Department of Anatomy, Sapthagiri institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
2 Professor, Department of Anatomy, St. Johnís Medical College, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
Address: Dr. Uma S.V, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Sapthagiri institute of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, No.15,chikkasandra,Hesarghatta main road, Bangalore-560090, Karnataka, India.
Background: A good understanding of morphometry of glenoid cavity of the scapulae is essential for proper designing of glenoid prosthesis. Moreover the anatomical basis and variations of shape and size of glenoid cavity of scapula is of fundamental importance in understanding of rotator cuff disease, shoulder dislocation and to decide the proper size of the glenoid component in the shoulder arthroplasty. Digital photography has become an essential tool in modern medicine which has great potential for medical researches. In medical field technology has grown so much that computer based measurement are highly accurate and important for designing various prosthesis.With this background our aim was to do the study of measurements of the glenoid cavity by using digital photographs, Microsoft powerpoint 2007 and Image J, an image processing and analysing software.
Materials and Methods: Glenoid cavity of two hundred scapulae (100-right and 100-left), were photographed along with scale using digital camera. These photos were transferred to the computer and required lines were drawn using Microsoft ppt for measurements of length and width of the glenoid. Image J software was used for measuring the parameters and analysis done by SPSSversion 16.
Results: The mean length of glenoid on the right side was 3.55 cm and the width was 2.30 cm whereas the mean length of glenoid on the left was 3.59 and the width was 2.41cm. The mean value of glenoid index on right side was 66.89±9.71 and on the left side was 67.99±8.03. On comparing the right and left side there was a significant difference in the width (p<0.05) but no significant difference in the length and glenoid index
Conclusion: In our study, we conclude that the values of glenoid parameters can be easily obtained by using photos and Image J which are comparable to other studies where measurements were done routinely with vernier calipers. There was significant difference between right and left side in the width of the glenoid The digital photographs and software technologies can be used in other anthropometric researches which make them faster and easier .
Key words: Glenoid Morphometry, Imaje j, Glenoid fossa, Glenoid index.
- Gulshan Baldev Sharma. Glenoid structural analysis: relevance to arthroplasty. Bioengineering , thesis.University of Pittsburgh; 2002.
- Uma SV. Morphometric analysis of glenoid cavity of Dry scapulae. Anatomy thesis. Rajiv Gandhi University of health sciences.2013
- Marie Burke. Can we estimate stature from the scapula?a test considering sex and ancestry. Anthropology thesis. University of Idaho; 2008
- Eric J. Strauss, Chris Roche, Pierre-Henri Flurin, Thomas Wright,, Joseph D. Zuckerman. The glenoid in shoulder arthroplasty. J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 2009; 18, 819-833
- Hema L, R MV. Morpmometric orpmometric patterns of gleno glenoid id cavity in coastal region of Andhra P Pradesh. 2015;14(February):225–7.
- Creighton S, Alderson J, Brown S, Minto CL. Medical photography: Ethics, consent and the intersex patient. BJU International. 2002;89(1):67-72.
- Burns K. Digital photography and the medical selfie. J Participat Med. 2015 Feb 11; 7:e3.)
- Hubbard VG, Goddard DJ, Walker SL. An online survey of the use of digital cameras by members of the British Association of Dermatologists. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2009;34(4):492–494.
- Harting MT, DeWees JM, Vela KM, Khirallah RT. Medical photography: current technology, evolving issues and legal perspectives. Int J Clin Pract. 2015;69(4):401–409
- Rachel Kornhaber, Vasiliki Betihavas, Rodney J Baber.Ethical implications of digital images for teaching and learning purposes: an integrative review . Journal of Multidisciplinary Healthcare.2015;8: 299—305
- Hassanein GHE-S. Morphometry of Glenoid Fossa in Adult Egyptian Scapulae. Int J Anat Res [Internet]. 2015;3(2):1138–42.
- Chhabra N, Prakash S, Mishra BK. an Anatomical Study of Glenoid Cavity: Its Importance in Shoulder Prosthesis. Int J Anat Res. 2015;3(3):1419-24.
- Dr. Gosavi S.N. Morphometric study of Scapular glenoid cavity in Indian population\n. IOSR J Dent Med Sci [Internet]. 2014;13(9):67–9
- Mamatha T, Pai S R, Murlimanju BV, Kalthur SG, Pai MM, Kumar B. Morphometry of glenoid cavity. Online J Health Allied Scs. 2011; 10(3):7.
- Patil G V, Kolagi SI, Ramdurg U. Morphometrical Study of Scapular Glenoid. 2014;14(2).
- Churchill R.S., Brems J.J., Kotschi H. Glenoid size, inclination, and version: An anatomic study. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2001; 10:327-32.
- Coskun N, Karaali K, Cevicol C, Demirel BM, Sindel M. Anatomical basics and variations of the scapula in Turkish adults. Saudi Med J. 2006; 27(9):1320-5.
- Hoenecke HR Jr, Hermida JC, Dembitsky N, Patil S, D’Lima DD.Optimizing glenoid component position using three-dimensional computed tomography reconstruction. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008 ; 17:637-41.
- Gilles Walch, Roger Badet , Aziz Boulahia, Alfred Khoury. Morphologic Study of the Glenoid in Primary Glenohumeral Osteoarthritis. The Journal of Arthroplasty .1999; 14(6):756-760
- Dhindsa GS, Singh Z. a Study of Morphology of the Glenoid Cavity. J Evol Med Dent Sci [Internet]. 2014;3(25):7036–46.
- Polguj M, Jêdrzejewski KS, Podgórski M, Topol M .Correlation between morphometry of the suprascapular notch and anthropometric measurements of the scapula. Folia Morphol,2011;70: 109-115.
- Mahto AK, Omar S. Dimensions of Glenoid Fossa of Scapula : Implications in the Biomechanics of an Implant Design. 2015;3(4):146–8.
- Pahuja Kavita ,Singh Jaskaran, Geeta. Morphology of coracoid process and glenoid cavity in adult human. IJAPBS.2013;(2):62–5.
Uma S V, Balasubramanyam V. MORPHOMETRY OF GLENOID USING DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHS AND IMAGE PROCESSING SOFTWARE. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(3):2720-2724. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.316