Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 3 | Page No. 2677-2683
Date of Publication: 31-08-2016
MEASUREMENT AND ANALYSIS OF ANTHROPOMETRIC MEASUREMENTS OF THE HUMAN SCAPULA IN TELANGANA REGION, INDIA
Peter Ericson Lingamdenne * 1, Pavani Marapaka 2.
*1 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Kamineni Academy of Medical sciences and research center, Hyderabad,Telangana, India.
2 Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, Kamineni Academy of Medical sciences and research center, Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
Address: Peter Ericson Lingamdenne, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Kamineni Academy of Medical sciences and research center, L.B Nagar, Hyderabad,Telangana, India.
Background: Several shoulder pathologies have an anatomical basis. The scapula presents several variations, based on race, sex, and region. The osteometric measurements and morphometric knowledge of the scapula is essential to understand and treat different shoulder disorders.
Objective: The aim of this study was to measure and record the osteometric data of the Human scapulae in Telangana region, India. The clinical importance of these parameters, comparison with anthropometric studies from other regions and review of literature are presented in this paper.
Materials and methods: 50 dry intact scapulae were examined. The maximum length and width of the scapula, angles of the scapula, measurements of the different parameters of glenoid, acromion, coracoid, spine of the scapula were taken .Statistical analysis of the recorded measurements was done and the results tabulated.
Results and Conclusion: The anthropometric measurements of the adult scapula in the Telangana region are reported in this paper. This data could be helpful to understand the normal anatomy, of scapula, play an important role in the management of different shoulder pathologies, rehabilitation of shoulder injuries, contribute to demographic studies, and assist in forensic cases.
Key words: Scapula, Glenoid Cavity, Acromion Process, Floating Shoulder.
- Standring.S. Gray’s Anatomy. The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice 39th ed. New York: Churchill Livingstone 2008;819-21.
- Anetzberger H, Putz R. The scapula: principles of construction and Stress. Acta Anat (Basel) 1996;156:70-80.
- Dirk P.H. Van Oostveen, Olivier P.P. Temmerman, Bart J. Burger, Arthur Van Noort, Mike Robinson. Glenoid fractures. A review of pathology, classification, treatment and results.Acta Orthop. Belg., 2014;80:88-98.
- Grondin Philippe, Leith Jordan. Combined large Hill–Sachs and bony Bankart lesions treated by Latarjet and partial humeral head resurfacing: a report of 2 cases. Can J Surg. 2009 Jun;52(3):249-254.
- Pandeya Vivek, W. Willems Jaap.Rotator cuff tear: A detailed update. Asia-Pacific Journal of Sports Medicine, Arthroscopy, Rehabilitation and Technology. 2015 Jan;2(1):1-14.
- David M Dines, Russell F. Warren, Allan E. Inglis, Helene Pavlov. The coracoid impingement syndrome. The journal of bone and joint surgery. 1990;72-B:314-6.
- Jacob PJ, Arun K, Binoj R.Suprascapular Nerve Entrapment Syndrome. Kerala journal of orthopaedics 2012;25:21-24.
- Polguj M, Jedrzejewski KS, Podgórski M, Topol M. Correlation between morphometry of the suprascapular notch and anthropometric measurements of the scapula. Folia Morphol. 2011;70(2):109–15.
- Sharma R, Singla RK, Kullar JS, Sharma R, Sharma R. A cadaveric study of different angles of scapula and their role in kinesiometrics and muscle morphology.JNMA J Nepal Med Assoc. 2013 Jul-Sep;52(191):494-9.
- Kim KC, Rhee KJ, Shin HD, Yang JY. Can the glenopolar angle be used to predict outcome and treatment of the floating shoulder? J Trauma. 2008 Jan; 64(1):174-8.
- Robert Hahn Cofield, John W. Sperling. Glenoid inclination angle Revision and Complex Shoulder Arthroplasty. 10:97.
- Kavita P, Jaskaran S, Geeta. Morphology of coracoid process and glenoid cavity in adult humanScapulae. International Journal of Analytical, Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences. April-June-2013;2(2):19-22.
- Wael Amin NE, Mona HMA.A Morphometric Study of the Patterns and Variations of the Acromion and Glenoid Cavity of the Scapulae in Egyptian Population. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2015 Aug;9(8): AC08-AC11.
- Paraskevas G, Tzaveas A, Papaziogas B, Kitsoulis P, Natsis K, Spanidou1 S. Morphological parameters of the acromion. Folia Morphol. 2008; 67:255–60.
- Sitha P, Nopparatn S, Aporn CD. The Scapula: Osseous Dimensions and Gender Dimorphismin. Thais Siriraj Hsop. 2004;56(7):356–65.
- Mamatha T, Pai SR, Murlimanju BV, Kalthur SG, Pai MM, Kumar B. Morphometry of glenoid cavity. Online J Health Allied Scs. 2011; 10(3):7.
- Coskun N, Karaali K, Cevikol C, Bahadir M, Demirel BM, Sindel M. Anatomical basics and variations of the scapula in Turkish adults. Saudi Med J. 2006; 27(9):1320–25.
- Singh J, Pahuja K, Agarwal R. Morphometric parameters of the acromion process in adult human scapulae. Indian J Bas Appl Med Res. 2013;8(2):1165-70.
- Cezayir E, Ates Y, Ersoy M, Tekdemir I. Morphometric anatomy of the acromion and the coracoacromial arch. Acta.Orthop Traumatol Turc.1995; 29:224-226.
- Rengachary SS, Burr D, Lucas S, Hassanein KM, Mohn MP, Matzke H. Suprascapular entrapment neuropathy:a clinical, anatomical, and comparative study. Part 2: Anatomical study. Neurosurgery, 1979;5:447-451.
- Hughes RE, Bryant CR, Hall JM, Wening J, Hutson LJ, Kuhn JE. Glenoid inclination is associated with full thickness rotator cuff tears. Clinorthop related res. 2003; 407:86–91.
Peter Ericson Lingamdenne, Pavani Marapaka. MEASUREMENT AND ANALYSIS OF ANTHROPOMETRIC MEASUREMENTS OF THE HUMAN SCAPULA IN TELANGANA REGION, INDIA. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(3):2677-2683. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.302