Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 3 | Page No. 2674-2676
Date of Publication: 31-08-2016
STUDY OF METOPIC SUTURES IN ADULT SKULLS IN KARNATAKA REGION
V. Ravi kumar * 1, Siri. A. M 2.
*1,2Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, Subbaiah Institute Of Medical Sciences and Research Centre, Purlae, Shimoga, Karnataka, India.
Address: Dr. V. Ravi kumar, Associate Professor, Department Of Anatomy, Subbaiah Institute Of Medical Sciences, Holehonnur Road, Purlae, Shimoga, Karnataka, India.
Ph : 09844427990, 09743491930.
Introduction: The adult human skulls have sutures which are separating the the cranial bones. The larger sutures which are seen are coronal suture, sagittal suture and lamdoid sutures in addition to the smaller sutures separating the smaller bones of the skull. The rare feature in the adult human skull is a complete metopic suture separating the 2 halves of frontal bone, the condition is termed as metopism.
Materials and Methods: The present study was done on adult human skulls in the department of Anatomy S.I.M.S. & R.C. Shimoga where metopic suture was seen in 6 out of 115 skulls and were of linear variety. Some skulls were had sutural bones at coronal suture.
Results and Discussion: The occurrence of metopic sutures in our study was 5 % of the skulls studied. Metopic sutures incidence varies from region to region and also racially. This can simulate a fracture in frontal bone. The knowledge of such type of sutures is helpful for anatomists, radiologists and is of medicolegal help also.
Key words: Metopic suture, metopism, frontal bone.
- Ajmani.M.L., Mittal.R.K., Jain.S.P. Incidence of metopic suture in adult nigerian skulls,Journal of Anatomy 1983;137(1):177-183.
- Neelima Pillai, Ragam Ravi Sunder, Persistent metopic suture in various forms in South Indian adult skulls – A Study. International journal of Sccientific and Research Publications 2013;3(5).
- Gray’s Anatomy 40th Edn – The Anatomical basis of Clinical Practice, Churchill Livingstone, elsevier PP 409,472.
- A.K.Dutta, Essentials of Human anatomy, Head & Neck, 5th edn Current books International pp 14.
- Romanes G.J.Cunninghams Textbook of Anatomy 11th edn London, Oxford University Press, pp 133.
- Breathnach A.S. Frazer’s Anatomy of Human Skeleton, 5TH edn, London, Churchill Livingstone.
- Wood –Jones The nonmetrical morphological charecters of the skull as criteria for racial diagnosis: Part IV The nonmetrical morphological charecters of Northen Chineese Skull. J.Anat, 1933;68(1):96-108.
- Bryce T.H. Osteology & Arthrology.In Quain’s Elements of Anatomy,11th ednVol 4, London Longmann Green pp 177.
- Das.A.C, Saxena.R.C, Beg M.A.Q. Incidence of metopic suture in U.P.subjects,Journal Of Anatomical Society of India 1973;22:140.
- Jit .I.& Shah .M.A. Incidence of frontal or metopic suture amongst Punjabi adults, Indian Medical Gazette 1948;83;507
- Gupta Rakesh,Usman Neema, Zaidi.S.H.H. A Study of Metopic suture in Adult North Indian Skulls, NJIRM 2012;3:82-83.
- Anjoo Yadav, Vinod Kumar, R.K.Srivastava,Study of metopic suture in Adult Human Skulls of North India, J. Anat. Soc. India. 2010;59(2):232-236.
V. Ravi kumar, Siri. A. M. STUDY OF METOPIC SUTURES IN ADULT SKULLS IN KARNATAKA REGION. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(3):2674-2676. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.299