Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 3 | Page No. 2670-2673
Date of Publication: 31-08-2016
MORPHOMETRIC ANALYSIS OF FORAMEN MAGNUM AND VARIATIONS IN ITS SHAPE IN DRIED HUMAN ADULT SKULLS: AN ORIGINAL ARTICLE
M.Rohinidevi *1, V.Vimala 2.
*1 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India.
2 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India.
Address: Dr. M. Rohinidevi M.S, Associate professor, Department of Anatomy, Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India.
Background: The foramen magnum is an important landmark in posterior part of cranial base formed by occipital bone. The purpose of the study was to measure the antero-posterior and transverse diameters of foramen magnum in dried human skulls. Variation in its shape, area and index of foramen magnum were also studied. The dimensions of foramen magnum are clinically important because vital structures are passing through it may lead to compression such as in cases of brain stem herniation and foramen magnum meningiomas.
Materials and methods: A total of 35 dried human adult skull of unknown age and sex were collected from the Department of Anatomy, Coimbatore Medical College, Coimbatore were used for this study. The antero-posterior diameter, transverse diameter, shape were measured by using digital vernier caliper. The area and index of foramen magnum were also calculated.
Results: In our study the mean antero-posterior diameter was 34.80mm. The maximum antero-posterior diameter was 42.18mm and minimum antero-posterior diameter was 31.10mm. The mean transverse diameter was 28.5mm. The maximum transverse diameter was 32.10mm and minimum transverse diameter was 25.20mm. The most common shape of foramen magnum were rounded in 26%, irregular in 22%, oval shaped in 18%, egg shaped in 14%, tetragonal in 11%, pentagonal in 6%, hexagonal in 6%. The mean area of foramen magnum was 820.53mm2 The mean index for foramen magnum was 82.54. In 6 % the occipital condyles were observed to protrude into the foramen magnum.
Conclusion: Knowledge about the dimensions of foramen magnum is clinically important for neurosurgeons while performing transcondylar and inferior suboccipital approach for foramen magnum meningiomas.
KEY WORDS: Foramen magnum, Antero-posterior diameter, Transverse diameter, Foramen magnum area, Foramen magnum index.
- Standring S, Borley NR, Collins P et al.Gray’s Anatomy: Head and Neck-External Skull. 40th ed.Spain:Churchill Livingstone; 2008: 415-16.
- Shika S, Anil Kumar S, Bhawani S M, Arshad M. Morphometric Evaluation of the Foramen Magnum and Variation in its Shape and Size: A Study on Human Dried Skull. International Journal of Anatomy and Research. 2015;3(3):1399-03.
- Jain S K, Choudhary A K, Mishra P. Morphometric Evaluation of Foramen Magnum For Sex Determination in a Documented North Indian Sample. Juornal of Evolution of Medical Science and Dental Sciences. 2013(oct);2(42):8093-98.
- Murshed K A, Cicekcibasi A E, Tuncer I. Morphometric Evaluation of the foramen magnum and variations in its shape: A study on Computerised Tomographic Images of Normal Adults. Truk J Med Sci. 2003;33:301-06.
- Osunwoke E A, Oladipo G S, Gwunireama I U, Ngaokere J O. Morphometric analysis of the foramen magnum and jugular foramen in adult skulls in southern Nigerian population. American Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research. 2012;3(6):446-48.
- Muralidhar P S, Magi M, Nanjundappa B, Pavan P H, Premalatha G, Hussain SS. Morphometric Analysis of Foramen Magnum. International Journal of Anatomy and Research 2014;2(1):249-55.
M.Rohinidevi, V.Vimala. MORPHOMETRIC ANALYSIS OF FORAMEN MAGNUM AND VARIATIONS IN ITS SHAPE IN DRIED HUMAN ADULT SKULLS: AN ORIGINAL ARTICLE. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(3):2670-2673. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.298