Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 3 | Page No. 2659-2664
Date of Publication: 31-08-2016
MORPHOLOGICAL STUDY OF PLACENTA IN PREGNANCY INDUCED HYPERTENSION WITH ITS CLINICAL RELEVANCE IN SIR T. HOSPITAL BHAVNAGAR
Pragna G. Patel * 1, S. V. Patel 2, S. M. Patel 3, Badal M. jotania 4.
*1 Tutor, Department of Anatomy, GMERS Medical College Valsad, Gujarat, India.
2,3,4 Former Professor & Head, Professor & Head, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India.
Address: Dr. Pragna G. Patel, Tutor, Department of Anatomy, GMERS Medical College Valsad, Gujarat, India.
Background: The intrauterine existence of foetus is dependent on one vital organ –“The Placenta“. Which is essential for maintaining pregnancy and promoting normal foetal development. Information on placental size, shape, consistency, completeness of the placenta, presence of accessory lobes, placental infarcts, haemorrhage and tumors may be important to the care of both mother and infant. Hypertensive disorders complicating pregnancy are common and form one of the deadly triad along with haemorrhage and infection, that results in large number of maternal deaths and there off foetal deaths. So, the present study was undertaken to analyze the clinical correlation between the weight of placenta and weight of new born baby in pregnancy induced hypertension (cases) & normal pregnancy (control) group.
Methods: present study was conducted on 100 full forms freshly delivered placenta was taken from Sir T. Hospital Bhavnagar. Out of them 50 were PIH and 50 were normal pregnancy.
Results: In this study, weight of placenta in control group ranges between 501-550 gms and in PIH 201-250 gms.The mean weight of placenta is 483.2 gms in control group and 410.8 gms in PIH. Weight of new born baby in control group ranges between 2501-3000 gms and in PIH 1001-1500 gms.The mean weight of new born baby is 2828.4 gms in control group and 2323 gms in PIH.
Conclusion: This study will help to correlate the effect of severity of PIH on mean weight of placenta and mean weight of new born baby.
Key words: Pregnancy Induced Hypertension, Weight Of Placenta, Weight Of New Born Baby.
- Udainia, A, Jain, M.L. Morphological study of placenta in pregnancy induced hypertension with its clinical relevance. J.Anat.soc. India 2001;50(1):24-27.
- Abhilasha Dadhich,Sushma Kataria,Kushal R.Kataria,Pushpa Potaliya.Study of effect of eclampsia and chronic hypertension on gross Morphology of placenta.Int Biol Med Res.2012;3(2):1771-1773.
- Dutta DC. The placenta and Foetal membrane, Hypertensive disorders in pregnancy. D.C.Dutta, Editor. Textbook of Obstetrics.5th Edition Culcutta.India. New Central Book Agency; 2001;28:224.
- Saddler Tw; Langmans Medical Emryology, Ninth edition Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Company 2004; p.51-154.
- Altschuler G, Ludwig M, Deppisch College of American pathologists, conference.XIX on examination of placenta: Report of the working group on indications for placental examination. Arch pathol Lab Med, 1991;115:701-703.
- Kalra VB, Agraval A, Sareen PM and Kalra R. Histopathological changes in placenta in toxaemia of pregnancy Obst and Gyanec India 1985;35:86-90.
- Sodhi S,Mohan H,Jaiswal TS, Mohan PS and Rathee S. Placental pathology in pre-eclampsia eclampsia syndrome. Indian J Pathol Microbiol 1990;33(1):11-16.
- Hosemann, H. Duration of pregnancy and weight of the placenta. Archives of Gynaecology 1946;176:453.
- Wigglesworth. J.S. The gross and microscopic pathology of the prematurely delivered placenta. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of British Commonwealth. 1962;69:934-943.
- G.Priya, K.Bhavina And S.Sundarapandian. Morphometric study of human placenta in preeclampsia associated with intrauterine growth retardation. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2012 July;3(3):(B)471-475.
- Rath G, Garg K, and Sood M. Insertion Of Umbilical Cord On The Placenta In Hypertensive Mother. J Anat. Soc. India 2000;49(2):149-152.
- Chakravorty, A. P. Foetal and placental weight changes in normal pregnancy and pre-eclampsia. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of British Commonwealth.1967;74:247-253.
- Armitage, P, Boyd,J. D., Hamilton W. J. and Rowe, B. C. A statistical analysis of a series of birth-weights and placental weight. Human Biology. 1967;39:430.
- Boyd, P. A. and Scott, A. Quantitative structural studies on human placentae associated with pre-eclampsia, essential hypertension and intrauterine growth retardation. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 1985;92:714-721.
- Hamilton, W. J. and Girmes, D. A statistical analysis of the growth of the human placenta correlated with the foetus. Journal of Anatomy. 1969;105:204.
- Thomson, A. M., Billewicz, W. Z and Hytten, F. E. The weight of the placenta in relation of birth weight. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology of British Commonwealth. 1969;76:865-872.
- Sinclair, J. G. Significance of placental and birth weight ratios. Anatomical Record. 1948;102:245.
- Sinclair, J. G. Placental-Foetal Weight ratios. Taxas Reproductive Biology and Medicine. 1948;6:168.
- Mukerjee, B and Lal, R. Relation between foetal weight and placental size. Journal of Anatomical Society of India. 1983;32:124-126.
- Vasudeva, N., Choudhary, R and Anand, C. Weight of the placenta, weight of the mother just before delivery and haemoglobin concentration of cord blood as an indicator to the weight of the newborn. Journal of Anatomical Society of India. 1991;40: 141.
Pragna G. Patel, S. V. Patel, S. M. Patel, Badal M. jotania. MORPHOLOGICAL STUDY OF PLACENTA IN PREGNANCY INDUCED HYPERTENSION WITH ITS CLINICAL RELEVANCE IN SIR T. HOSPITAL BHAVNAGAR. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(3):2659-2664. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.296