Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 3 | Page No. 2566-2570
Date of Publication: 31-07-2016
EFFECT OF NIGELLA SATIVA SEED ON STREPTOZOTOCIN INDUCED DIABETIC RENO TOXICITY: HISTOLOGICAL OBSERVATIONS
Shaik Hussain Saheb *1, Desai S D 2, Kusal K Das 3, Haseena S 4.
*1 Ph.D Scholar, Department of Anatomy, Shri B M Patil Medical College Hospital & Research Centre, Bijapur and Assistant Professor in Anatomy, JJM Medical College, Davangere, Karnataka India.
2 Principal, Shridevi Institute of Medical Sciences and Research Hospital, Tumkur, Karnataka, India.
3 Professor, Department of Physiology, Shri B M Patil Medical College Hospital & Research Centre, Bijapur, Karnataka, India.
4 Ph.D Scholar, Department of Physiology, Shri B M Patil Medical College Hospital & Research Centre, Bijapur and Lecturer in Physiology, JJM Medical College, Davangere, Karnataka India.
Address: Shaik Hussain Saheb, Assistant Professor in Anatomy, JJM Medical College, Davangere, Karnataka India. Mobile no.: +91-9242056660
Background: Diabetic nephropathy has long been recognized as the leading cause of end-stage renal disease, but the efficacy of available strategies for the prevention of Diabetic nephropathy remains poor. The aim of this study was to investigate the renoprotective effects of Nigella sativa seed and thymoquinone against streptozotocine induced renotoxicity.
Materials and Methods: 24 rats were selected for this study and divided in to 4 groups each contains 6 rats, one group served as normal control, one group served as Streptozotocin (50mg/kg BW) induced diabetic control rats, one group served as diabetic rats treated with the nigella sativa seed powder(300mg/Kg body weight), one group served as diabetic rats treated with the thymoquinone(4mg/ Kg body weight).
Results: Histopathological observations of present study showed that nigella sativa seed and thymoquinone treatment has proved its nephroprotective effect in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats.
Conclusion: The results of present study concluding that Nigella sativa seed powder and thymoquinone having renoprotective effect in streptozotocine induced diabetic rats.
Key Words: Kidney, Nephropathy, Nigella Sativa, Antioxidant, Thymoquinone.
- Bastaki S, Diabetes mellitus and its treatment, Int J Diabetes Metab, 2005;13(3):111-134.
- N Athan DM, Long-term complications of diabetes mellitus, N Engl J Med, 1993;328(23):1676–1685.
- Chuang L.Y, Guh J.Y. Extracellular signals and intracellular pathways in diabetic nephropathy. Nephrology 2001;6:165-172.
- Kanter, M. Protective effects of thymoquinone on streptozotocin-induced diabetic nephropathy. J. Mol. Histol. 2009;40:107-115.
- Ihm, C.-G.; Lee, G.S.; Nast, C.C.; Artishevsky, A.; Guillermo, R.; Levin, P.S.; Glassock, R.J.; Adler, S.G. Early increased renal procollagen a1 (IV) mRNA levels in streptozotocin induced diabetes. Kidney Int. 1992;41:768–777.
- Brenner, B.M.; Cooper, M.E.; de Zeeuw, D.; Keane, W.F.; Mitch, W.E.; Parving, H.H.; Remuzzi, G.; Snapinn, S.M.; Zhang, Z.; Shahinfar, S.; et al. Effects of losartan on renal and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes and nephropathy. N. Engl. J. Med. 2001;345:861–869.
- Jansen PCM Spices, condiments and medicinal plants in Ethiopia, their taxonomy and agricultural significance. Addis Ababa: Center for Agricultural Publishing and Documentation. 1981:76–85.
- Chopra RN, Nayar SL, Chopra IC. Glossary of Indian medicinal plants. New Delhi:CSIR, 1956:175.
- Desai S D, Shaik Hussain Saheb, Kusal K Das, Haseena S. Phytochemical Analysis of Nigella Sativa and it`s Antidiabetic Effect J. Pharm. Sci. & Res. 2015;7(8):527-532.
- Haseena S, Manjunath Aithal, Kusal K Das, Shaik Hussain Saheb. Phytochemical Analysis of Nigella Sativa and it`s effect on reproductive system. J. Pharm. Sci. & Res. Vol. 7(8), 2015, 514-517.
- El-Dakhakhny M, Mady N, Lembert N, Ammon HP. The hypoglycemic effect of Nigella sativa oil is mediated by extrapancreatic actions. Planta Med.2002;68:465-466.
- Kanter M, Coskun O, Korkmaz A, Oter S. Effects of Nigella sativa on oxidative stress and beta-cell damage in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Anat Rec A Discov Mol Cell Evol Biol. 2004;279:685–691.
- Desai S D, Shaik Hussain Saheb, Kusal K Das, Haseena S. Effect of Thymoquinone on MDA and SOD levels in Sterptozotocine Induced Diabetis Albino Rats. J. Pharm. Sci. & Res. 2015;7(4):523-526.
- Ramadan MF, Kroh LW, Morsel JT. Radical scavenging activity of black seed Nigella sativa L.), coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.), and niger(Guizotia abyssinica Cass.) crude seed oils and oil fractions. J Agric Food Chem. 2003;51:6961-6969.
- Desai S D, Shaik Hussain Saheb, Kusal K Das, Haseena S. Effect of Nigella Sativa Seed Powder on MDA and SOD levels in Sterptozotocine Induced Diabetis Albino Rats. J. Pharm. Sci. & Res. 2015;7(4):206-209.
- Baynes JW. Role of oxidative stress in development of complications in diabetes. Diabetes. 1991;40:405-412.
- Heidland A, Sebekova K, Schinzel R. Advanced glycation end products and the progressive course of renal disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 2001;38:S100-S106.
- Lee HB, Yu MR, Yang Y, Jiang Z, Ha H. Reactive oxygen speciesregulated signalling pathways in diabetic nephropathy. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2003;14(8 Suppl 3):S241–S245.
- Craven PA, De Rubertis FR, Kagan VE, Melhem M, Studer RK. Effects of supplementation with vitamin C or E on albuminuria, glomerular TGF-beta, and glomerular size in diabetes. J Am Soc Nephrol. 1997;8:1405-1414.
- Haseena S, Manjunath Aithal, Kusal K Das, Shaik Hussain Saheb. Effect of Thymoquinone on Testosterone and LH levels in Sterptozotocine Induced Diabetic male Albino Rats. J. Pharm. Sci. & Res. 2015;7(8):554-556.
- Haseena S, Manjunath Aithal, Kusal K Das, Shaik Hussain Saheb. Effect of Nigella Sativa Seed Powder on Testosterone and LH levels in Sterptozotocine Induced Diabetes male Albino Rats. J. Pharm. Sci. & Res. 2015;7(4):234-237.
- M. Murugesan, M. Ragunath, T. Prabu, S. Nadanasabapathi, M. Sakthivel, V. Manju. Protective role of black cumin (Nigella sativa) on isoproterenol induced myocardial infarction in rats. International Journal of Pharmacology and Clinical Sciences. 2012;1(2):45-53.
- Le PM, Benhaddou AA, Settaf A, Cherrah Y, Haddad PS. 2004. The petroleum ether extract of Nigella sativa exerts lipid lowering action in the rats. J Ethanopharmacol, 2004;94:251-259.
- S. L. Teoh, Azian Latiff, S. Das. Histological changes in the kidneys of experimental diabetic rats fed with Momordica charantia (bitter gourd) extract Romanian Journal of Morphology and Embryology 2010;51(1):91-95.
- Sugano M, Yamato H, Hayashi T, Ochiai H, Kakuchi J, Goto S, Nishijima F, Iino N, Kazama JJ, Takeuchi T, Mokuda O, Ishikawa T, Okazaki R. High-fat diet in lowdose- streptozotocin-treated heminephrectomized rats induced all features of human type 2 diabetic nephropathy: a new rat model of diabetic nephropathy, Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis, 2006;16(7):477–484.
- Abdul Karim Salim Mahood. Histological study of the effect of Nigella sativa on diabetic nephropathy in rats. Tikrit Medical Journal 2012;18(2):154-168.
- Kanter M. Protective effects of thymoquinone on streptozotocin-induced diabetic nephropathy. J Mol Histol. 2009 Apr;40(2):107-15.
- Ola Omran. Effects of Thymoquinone on STZ-induced Diabetic Nephropathy: An Immunohistochemical Study. Ultrastructural Pathology. 2013;38(1).
Shaik Hussain Saheb, Desai S D, Kusal K Das, Haseena S. EFFECT OF NIGELLA SATIVA SEED ON STREPTOZOTOCIN INDUCED DIABETIC RENO TOXICITY: HISTOLOGICAL OBSERVATIONS. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(3):2566-2570. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.275