Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 3 | Page No. 2526-2530
Date of Publication: 31-07-2016
STUDY OF DIMENSIONS OF RETROARTICULAR BONY RINGS IN HUMAN ATLAS VERTEBRAE
Monika Lalit *1, Sanjay Piplani 2, Poonam Verma 3.
*1 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, SGRDIMS&R, Amritsar, Punjab, India.
2 Professor, Department of Pathology, SGRDIMS&R, Amritsar, Punjab, India.
3 Professor, Department of Anatomy, SGRDIMS&R, Amritsar, Punjab, India.
Address: Dr Monika Lalit, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, SGRDIMS & R, Vallah, Amritsar 143001, Punjab, India.
Background: The third part of vertebral artery on its exit from the FT of atlas is vulnerable for compression by External factors like bony outgrowths which may be complete to form the retroarticular bony rings. Such rings may predispose to vertebrobasilar insufficiency, Barre- lieou and cervicogenic syndrome especially in neck movements. The aim of this study is to know the dimensions of Retroarticular Bony Ring as the knowledge about such dimensions can improve the success rate of surgeries.
Materials and Methods: 120 sides on sixty dry adult human atlas vertebrae were obtained in the Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Amritsar, Punjab, India. The Retroarticular Bony Rings (RBR) were identified following the criteria used by Mitchell J and Hasan et al. Linear dimensions of Retroarticular Bony Ring (RB Rings) like Antero-posterior (Length) Supero-inferior (Height) and Medio-lateral (Width) were measured with the help of digital vernier caliper.
Results: The complete ponticuli were seen in 10 vertebrae (16.66%). Bilateral retroarticular bony rings have the lowest incidence of 3.33%, 5% on right side and 8.33% on left side. The mean anteroposterior diameter of the right retroarticular canal was 8.79mm and left side was 8.47mm, superoinferior diameter was 5.98mm on right side and 5.47mm on left side and mediolateral diameter was 4.76mm on right side and 4.42mm on left side.
Conclusions: The Knowledge about the dimensions of Bony ring of atlas is important for radiologists, otolaryngologists, neurologists and orthopaedicians as this information may be helpful in avoiding and reducing complications such as vertebral artery injury and spinal cord injury during spine surgeries.
Key words: Retroarticular Bony ring, Vertebral artery, Ponticuli, Bony Canal, Atlas vertebrae
- William M, Newell RLM, Collin P. The back: cervical vertebrae. In: Standring S, Ellis H, Haely JC, Johson D, Williams A (eds), Gray’s Anatomy. 39th edition. Edinburg, London: Elsevier Churchill Livingstone. 2005:742-746.
- Romanus T and Tovi A. A variation of the atlas. Roentgenolgic incidence of a bridge over the groove on the atlas for the vertebral artery. Acta Radiol. Diagn. 1964;2:289-97.
- Lamberty BG and Zivanovic S. The retro-articular vertebral artery ring of the atlas and its significance. Acta Anat. 1973;85:113-22.
- Taitz C, Nathan H. Some observations on the posterior and lateral bridge of atlas. ActaAnat. 1986;127(3):212-217.
- Mitchell J. The incidence and dimensions of the retroarticular canal of the atlas vertebra. Acta Anat 1998 (a);163:113-120.
- Le Minor, J. M. & Trost, O. Bony ponticles of the atlas (C1) over the groove for the vertebral artery in humans and primates: Polymorphism and evolutionary trends. Am.J. Phys. Anthropol.2004;125:16-29.
- Lalit M, Piplani S, Arora A K, Kullar J S, Sharma T. Incidence of Atlas Bridges and Tunnels- Their Phylogeny, Ontogeny and Clinical Implications. Rev Arg De Anat Clin. 2014;6(1):26-34.
- Pyo J & Lowman R M. The ponticulus posticus of the first cervical vertebra. Radiology. 1959;72:850-854.
- Unur, E, Erdogan N, Ülger H, Ekinci N & Oztürk O. Radiographic incidence of complete arcuate foramen in Turkish population. Erciyes Med J 2004;26:50-54.
- Lalit M, Singla R K, Kullar J S. Bilateral Arcuate Foramen in a Human Atlas Vertebra - A Case Report. International Journal of Anatomy, Radiology and Surgery, 2013;2(3):3-6.
- Mitchell, J. The incidence of the lateral bridge of the atlas vertebra. J. Anat. 1998b; 193:283-5.
- Chevrel J P, Pineau H, Delmas A. D’are posterieur de I; atlas. Ses variations. Etude morphologique et statistique. CR Assoc Anat. 1965;50;280-288.
- Sun, J. Y. Foramen arcuale and vertigo. Zhonghua Wai Ke Za Zhi.1990;28:592-4.
- Paraskevas G, Papaziogas B, Tsonidis C & Kapetanos G. Gross morphology of the bridges over the vertebral artery groove on the atlas. Surg Radiol Anat. 2005;27:129-136.
- Tubbs R S, Johnson P C, Shoja M M, Loukas M, Oakes W J. Foramen Arcuale: Anatomical study and review of literature. J Neurosurg Spine. 2007;6(1):31-34.
- Karau Bundi P, Ogengo JA, Hassanali J, Odula PO. Morphometry and variations of bony poticles of the atlas vertebrae in Kenyans. Int J Morphol. 2010;28(4):1019-1024
- Dhall U, Chhabra S, Dhal JC. Bilateral asymmetry in bridges and superior articular facets of atlas vertebra. J Anat Soc.India. 1993;42:23-27.
- Pande BS, Singh I. One sided dominance in upper limbs of human foetuses as evidenced by asymmetry in muscle and bone weight. J Anat Soc.India. 1971;109:457-459
- Hasan M, Shukla S, Siddiqui MS, Singh D. Posterolateral tunnels and ponticuli in human atlas vertebrae. J Anat 2001;199(3):339-343.
- Thiel, H. Gross morphology and pathoanatomy of the vertebral arteries. J. Manipulative Physiol. Ther. 1991;14:133-41.
- Krishnamurthy A et al. Arcuate foramen of atlas: Incidence, Phylogenetic and Clinical significance. Romanian journal of morphology and embryology 2007;48(3):263-266.
- Prescher A. The craniocervical junction in man, the osseous variations their significance and differential diagnosis. Annals of anatomy. 1997;179:1-19.
- Ercegovac N, Davidovic R. Foramen arcuale atlantis kao etiolski faktor vertebrobazilare insu®cijencijedekompresija arterije vertebralis. Vojnosanitetski pregled. 1970;10:435-441.
- Cacciola F, Phalke U and Goel A. Vertebral artery in relationship to C1 – C2 vertebrae: An anatomical study. Neurology India. 2004; 52(2):178-184.
- Dahipale V P, Bahetee B H. The Retroarticular vertebral artery ring of the atlas and its significance. J Anat Soc. India. 2009; 58:149-151.
- Limousin, C. A. Foramen arcuale and syndrome of Barre- Lieou. Int. Orthop.1980;4:19-23.
- Cakmak O, Gurdal E, Ekinci G, Yildiz E, Cavdar S. Arcuate foramen and its clinical significance. Saudi Med J. 2005;26(9):1409-1413.
- Manjunath K Y. Posterior bridging of the atlas vertebra in south Indians. Indian J Med Sci. 2001;55(9):488-490.
- Parkin PJ, Wallis WE, Wilson JE. Vertebral aretery occlusion following manipulation of the neck. N Z Med. 1978;88:441-443.
- Krueger BR, Okazaki H. Vertebral basilar distribution infarction following chiropractic cervical manipulation. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 1980;55:322-332.
Monika Lalit, Sanjay Piplani, Poonam Verma. STUDY OF DIMENSIONS OF RETROARTICULAR BONY RINGS IN HUMAN ATLAS VERTEBRAE. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(3):2526-2530. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.258