Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 2 | Page No. 2245-2250
Date of Publication: 30-04-2016
DIAMETER OF ANTERIOR CEREBRAL ARTERY ON MRI ANGIOGRAMS
Navita Aggarwal *1, Molly M. Paul 2, Madhumita Mukherjee 3.
*1 Assosciate Professor, Department of Anatomy, Adesh Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Bathinda, Punjab, India.
2 Professor, Department of Anatomy, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, Punjab, India.
3 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Christian Medical College and Hospital, Ludhiana, Punjab, India.
Address: Dr. Navita Aggarwal, Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, Adesh Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, Bathinda, Punjab, India.
Mobile no.: +919855424777
Background: Magnetic Resonance Imaging, by far, has been found to be the most sensitive and non-invasive method for detecting angiographic images on the circle of Willis. Arteries forming parts of circle of Willis frequently vary in size. The haemodynamics of the circle of Willis is influenced by variations in the caliber of the segments of the anterior and posterior cerebral arteries and their communicating arteries, thus affecting the major role of the circulus arteriosus as an anastomotic channel.
Materials and Methods: In the present study the diameter of A1 segment of anterior cerebral artery, forming the anterior part of the circle of Willis, is measured in the brains on MRI angiograms at two points ‘A’ and ‘B’ respectively.
Results: The left anterior cerebral artery at point ‘A’ has a larger diameter than the right, being 3.20mm and 2.72mm respectively. In males and females both the left anterior cerebral artery at point ‘A’ has a larger diameter than the right anterior cerebral artery, being 3.19mm and 2.86mm respectively in males and 3.21mm and 2.57mm respectively in females. The diameter of anterior cerebral artery on MRI angiograms at point ‘B’ is also larger on left side as compared to right side being 2.50mm and 2.31mm respectively. In the males and females both it is larger on left side than on right side being 2.70mm and 2.42mm respectively in males and 2.30mm and 2.20mm respectively in females.
Discussion: The diameter was found to be higher on the left side than on right side and in males than in females. In view of this, the diameter which is presented here may provide reference values which will be specific to the three dimensional time of flight MRI angiography.
KEY WORDS: MRI angiograms, diameter, anterior cerebral artery.
- Standring S, Ellis H, Healy JC, Johnson D, William A, Collins P, et al. Development of nervous system. In: .Gray’s Anatomy. 39th edn. Spain: Elsevier; 2005. 241-274.
- Vohra H, Singh P, Sood V. Study of circle of Willis - anterior part. J Anat Soc India 2006;55:74.
- Hartkamp K, Grond JV, Leeuw FE, Groot JC, Algra A, Hillen B, et al. Circle of Willis: Morphologic variation on three-dimensional time-of-flight MR angiograms. Radiology 1998; 207:103-11.
- Murray KD. Dimensions of the circle of Willis and dynamic studies using electrical analogy. J Neurosurg 1964; 21:26-34.
- Perlmutter D, Rhoton AL. Microsurgical anatomy of the anterior cerebral–anterior communicating–recurrent artery complex. J Neurosurg 1976;45:259-72.
- Kamath S. Observations on the length and diameter of vessels forming the circle of Willis. J Anat 1981; 133:419-23.
- Gomes FB, Dujovny M, Umansky F, Berman SK, Diaz FG, Ausman JI, et al. Microanatomy of the anterior cerebral artery. Surg Neurol 1986;26:129-41.
- Stefani MA, Schneider FL, Marrone ACH, Severino AG, Jackowski AP, Wallace MC. Anatomic variations of anterior cerebral artery cortical branches. Clinical Anatomy 2000;13:231-36.
- Pai SB, Kulkarni RN, Varma RG. Microsurgical anatomy of the anterior cerebral artery-anterior communicating artery complex: An Indian study. Neurology Asia 2005;10:21-8.
- Mandiola E, Alarcon E, Onate JC, Sanhueza P, Sol M, Olave E. Biometrical aspects of the anterior cerebral artery in its proximal segment (A1) and internal carotid artery. Int J Morphol 2007;25:915-18.
- Orlandini GE, Ruggiero C, Orlandini SZ, Gulisano M. Blood vessel size of circulus arteriosus cerebri (circle of Willis): A statistical research on 100 human subjects. Acta Anat 1985;123:72-6.
- Khade AM, Sawant VG, Champaneri PC. Measurement of diameter of blood vessels forming circle of Willis and their variations by magnetic resonance imaging angiography. J Anat Soc India 2008; 57:53-89.
- Kapoor K, Singh B, Dewan IJ. Variations in the configuration of the circle of Willis. Anat Sci Int 2008; 83: 96-106.
- Puchades-Orts A, Nombela-Gomez M, Ortuno-Pacheco G. Variation in form of circle of Willis : some anatomical and embryological considerations. Anat Rec 1976;185:119-123.
Navita Aggarwal, Molly M. Paul, Madhumita Mukherjee. DIAMETER OF ANTERIOR CEREBRAL ARTERY ON MRI ANGIOGRAMS. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(2):2245-2250. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.189