Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 2 | Page No. 2212-2215
Date of Publication: 30-04-2016
SEXUAL DIMORPHISM ON METRIC EVALUATION OF HAND DIMENSIONS
Bindurani MK *1, Kavyashree A.N 2, Lakshmi Prabha Subhash 3.
1 Department of Anatomy, Sri Siddhartha Medical College, Agalkote, Tumakuru, Karnataka, India.
2 Department of Anatomy, Sri Siddhartha Medical College, Agalkote, Tumakuru, Karnataka, India.
3 Department of Anatomy, Sri Siddhartha Medical College, Agalkote, Tumakuru, Karnataka, India.
Address: Dr. Bindhurani MK, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Sri Siddhartha Medical College, B.H.Road, Agalkote, Tumakuru, Karnataka 527107, India.
Introduction: Identification of human remains is an important part of any medicolegal investigation. Among the primary parameters of identification like race, sex, age and stature, determination of sex is one of the foremost criteria in establishing the identity of an individual It is a challenging task for forensic experts and physical anthropologists. The human hand being the most used and versatile part of the body is of great scientific importance to investigators in the field of anthropometry.
Aim: The aim of present study is to correlate sexual dimorphism with hand dimensions.
Materials and Methods: Present study included analyzing measurements of hand length, hand breadth and hand index amongst 304 students, aged between 20-22 years. The data were statistically analyzed using Statistical software Epi info 3.4.3.
Results: In the present study there was no significant bilateral variation for measurements of hand length and hand breadth in both sexes except for hand breadth in south males (P value<0.01). The mean values of hand dimensions and hand index were more in males than in females in both north and south Indian population.There was no significant bilateral variation of hand index in both sexes of different regions.
Conclusion: The present study confirms sexual dimorphism in hand dimensions. Hence hand dimensions can also be used in Sex determination in medico legal aspects.
Key words: Hand index, Hand length, Hand breadth, Sexual dimorphism.
- Tarsem Kumar, Vishram Singh. A preliminary report on hand preference with hand length, hand breadth and shape indices and its role in sexual dimorphism. International Journal of Recent trends in science and Technology. 2015;14(2):308-315.
- Krishan K, Sharma A. Estimation of stature from dimensions of hands and feet in a North Indian population. J Forensic Leg Med 2007;14:327–32.
- Kanchan T, Kumar GP, Menezes RG. Index and ring finger ratio:a new sex determinant in the South-Indian population. Forensic Sci Int 2008;181:53.e1–4.
- Kanchan T, Krishan K, Sharma A, Menezes R. A study of correlation of hand and foot dimensions for personal identification in mass disasters. Forensic Sci Int. 2010;199:112.e1–6.
- Fink B, Thanzami V, Seydel H and Mnning JT. Digit ratio and hand grip strength in Germen and Mezzos men:cross-cultural evidence for organizing effect of prenatal testosterone on strength. American Journal Of Human Biology. Oct 2006; 18(6):776-82.
- Abdel-Malek AK, Ahmed AM, el-Sharkawi SA, el-Hamid NA. Prediction of stature from hand measurements. Forensic Sci Int. 1990;46:181–7.
- Kar SK, Ghosh S, Manna I, Banerjee S and Dhara P. An investigation of hand anthropometry of agricultural workers. J. Hum. Ecol.2003;14(1):57-62.
- Singh IP and Bhasin MK (1968) Anthropometry. A Laboratory manual of biological anthropology. Delhi: Kamla Raj Enterprises: pp1-35.
- Khaled E. Aboul-Hagag , Soheir A. Mohamed a, Maha A. Hilal A, Eman A. Mohamed b. Determination of sex from hand dimensions and index/ringfinger length ratio in Upper Egyptians. Egyptian Journal of Forensic Sciences. 2011;1:80–86.
- Kanchan T, Kumar GP. Index and ring finger ratio – a morphologic sex determinant in South-Indian children. Forensic Sci Med Pathol. 2010;6:255–60.
- Lippa RA. Are 2D: 4D finger-length ratios related to sexual orientation? Yes for men, no for women. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2003;85:179–88.
- MacLaughlin SM, Bruce MF. The sciatic notch/acetabular index as a discriminator of sex in European skeletal remains. J Forensic Sci. 1986;31:1380–90.
- A Agnihotri, B Purwar, N Jeebun, S Agnihotri. Determination of Sex By Hand Dimensions. The Internet Journal of Forensic Science. 2005;1(2).
- Kanchan T, Rastogi P. Sex determination from hand dimensions of North and South Indians. J Forensic Sci. 2009;54(3): 546–50.
- B. Danborno and A. Elukpo. Sexual dimorphism in hand and foot length indices, stature-ratio and relationship to height in Nigerians. The internet Journal of Forensic Science. 2008:pp 3:1
- Krishan K, Kanchan T, Sharma A. Sex determination from hand and foot dimensions in a north indian population.J Forensic Sci. March 2011;56(2):553-557.
- Sangeeta Dey, A. K. Kapoor. Sex determination from hand dimensions for forensic identification. Int J Res Med Sci. 2015 Jun;3(6):1466-1472.
- Jee S, Bahn S, HwanYun M. Determination of sex from various hand dimensions of Koreans. Forensic Science International. December 2015; 257: 521.e1–521.e10.
Bindurani MK *, Kavyashree A.N, Lakshmi Prabha Subhash. SEXUAL DIMORPHISM ON METRIC EVALUATION OF HAND DIMENSIONS. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(2):2212-2215. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.180