Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 2 | Page No. 2204-2206
Date of Publication: 30-04-2016
A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF SACRAL INDEX V/S KIMURA’S BASE WING INDEX IN SEX DETERMINATION THROUGH SACRUM
Arpan Dubey *1, Siddharth Shankar Roy 2.
*1 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Bundelkhand Medical College, Sagar, Madhya Pradesh, India.
2 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, Bundelkhand Medical College, Sagar, Madhya Pradesh, India.
Address: Dr. Arpan Dubey, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Bundelkhand Medical College, Sagar Shivaji Ward, Tili Road, Sagar, Madhya Pradesh 470001, India.
Introduction: Sacrum being a part of pelvis is an important bone for identification of sex from human skeleton remains.
Aim: To compare the accuracy of sacral index and kimura’s base wing index in sex determination of sacrum.
Material and Methods: The material consisted of 60 adult sacra (30 males and 30 females). Measurement of various parameters was done using sliding vernier calliper.
Result: Using sacral index method, 53.33% of male sacra and 46.67% of female sacra can be accurately identified whereas by base wing index, on right side, 10% of sacrum in males and 13.33% of sacrum in females can be identified and on left side, 13.33% of sacrum can be identified on both sides.
Conclusion: Sacral index method is more reliable and should be applied for sex determination of sacrum in various anatomical, forensic and anthropological investigations.
Key words: Sacrum, Sacral Index, Kimura’s Base Wing Index.
- Frazer JE. Anatomy of Human Skeleton.3rd ed. London: Churchill Livingstone; 1933.p.3
- Comas J, Charles C. Manual of Physical Anthropology. Illinois, USA: Thomas Springfield; 1961: p.415-16.
- Jit I and singh S. Sexing of the adult clavicle. Indian Journal of Medical Reasearch. 1966;54:551-71.
- Mishra SR, Singh PJ, Agrawal AK, Gupta RN. Identification of sex of sacrum of Agra region. J Anat Soc of India 2003; 52 : 132-6.
- Patel MM, Gupta BD, Singel TC. Sexing of sacrum by sacral index and kimura’s base wing index. JIAFM 2005; 27: 5-9.
- Asthana S, Gupta S, Khatri M, Agarwal G. Sacral Index is More Reliable than Kimura’s Base Wing Index for Sex Determination of a Sacrum. Natl J Med Res. 2014; 4(1): 71-74.
Arpan Dubey, Siddharth Shankar Roy. A COMPARATIVE STUDY OF SACRAL INDEX V/S KIMURA’S BASE WING INDEX IN SEX DETERMINATION THROUGH SACRUM. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(2):2204-2206. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.178