Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 1 | Page No. 2108-2113
Date of Publication: 31-03-2016
HISTOLOGICAL AND EMBRYONIC OVERVIEW OF SACROCOCCYGEAL TERATOMA: A SIX YEAR RETROSPECTIVE STUDY
Roopali D. Nikumbh *1, Dhiraj B. Nikumbh 2, Sudhir Singhavi 3.
*1 MD, Assistant Professor, Department Of Anatomy, JMF’S ACPM Medical College, Dhule, Maharashtra, India.
2 MD, Associate Professor, Department Of Pathology, JMF’S ACPM Medical College, Dhule, Maharashtra, India.
3 MS,M.Ch, Consultant Pediatric Surgeon, Singhavi Hospital, Dhule, Maharashtra, India.
Address: Dr. Roopali D. Nikumbh M.D., Assistant Professor, Department Of Anatomy, JMF’S ACPM Medical College, Dhule, Maharashtra, India.
Background: Sacrococcygeal teratomas are tumors that arise from sacrococcygeal region containing tissue from all the three germ layers. Sacrococcygeal teratoma (SCT) is a relatively uncommon tumor affecting neonates, infants and children with an incidence of 1 in 40,000 live births with malignant transformation with increasing age. It is four times more common in females than males.
Aim and Objectives: To evaluate histological features of congenital sacrococcygeal teratoma and to grade them. Add a note on embryological and clinical aspect of sacrococcygeal teratoma.
Material and Methods: The present study was retrospective, descriptive analysis of 10 patients presented with sacrococcygeal mass over the period of 6 years from December 2009 to December 2015 in Department of Anatomy in KIMSU, Karad and Hi-Tech diagnostic center, Dhule. The cases were reviewed histologically and grading of SCT was done and comparisons with other studies were made.
Results: We reviewed 10 patients of congenital SCTs. There were 07 girls and 03 boys with the age ranges from 2 months to 18 months. Majority of the cases were less than 3 months. There were 08 cases of mature and 02 cases of immature teratoma noted. The most common presentation was sacrococcygeal mass in both teratomas.
Conclusion: Majority of the SCTs are benign on histology, when diagnosed at birth with fully differentiated tissues. Histologically meticulous and careful search for immature or malignant components should be instituted as it will helps in therapeutic decisions. Additionally embryological studies and chromosomal analysis of SCTs in large series may be warranted to predict the further prognosis.
Key words: Sacrococcygeal Teratoma, Congenital, Histology, Mature, Immature.
- Arceci RJ, Weinstein HJ. Neoplasia in: AveryGB, Fletcher MA, McDonaldME. Neonatology: pathophysiology and management ofnewborn.Philadelphia:Lippincott;1994.p.1219-20.
- Altman RP, Randolph JG, LillyJR. Sacrococcygeal teratoma: American Academy of Pediatrics Surgical Section Survey-1973. JPediatr Surg 1974;9:389-98.
- Ballantine JW. Teratologie. WilliamsandNougate,1894.
- Tapper D, Lack EE. Teratomas in infancy and childhood: A 54-year experience at the children’s hospital medical center.Ann Surg 1983;198 (3):398-409.
- Chad A Hamilton, MD; Chief Editor: Jules E Harris, MD.Cystic Teratoma Workup: Medscape Reference; Updated: Jan 17, 2012.
- Gabra HO, Jesudason EC, Mc Dowell HP, Pizer BL, Losty PD. Sacrococcygealteratoma: a25-yearexperienceinaUKregionalcenter.JPediatr Surg2006;41:1513-6.
- Tuladhar R, Patole SK, Whitehall JS. Sacrococcygeal teratoma in the perinatal period. Postgrad Med J. 2000 Dec;76(902):754-9.
- Kouranloo J, Sadeghian N,Mirschemirani AR.Benign Sacrococyygeal teratoma:A fifteen year retrospective study.Acta Medica Iranica.2006;44(1):33-36
- Hashish A,Fayad H,El-attar AA,Radwan MM,Ismail K,Mohamed HM,Elhalaby E. Sacrococyygeal teratoma:Management and outcomes.Annals of Pediatric Surgery.2009;5(2):119-25.
- Sinha S, Sarin YK, Deshpande VP. Neonatal sacrococcygeal teratoma: our experience with 10 cases. J Neonat Surg. 2013; 2(1):1-6
- Ramani M, Husain KW,Geeta K,Krishna ROH,Reddy RK,REDDY SP et al.Congenital sacrococcygeal teratoma in children-A Pathologist overview.Jr of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences.2013;2(32):5932-42.
- Keslar P J, Buck J L, Suarez E S. Germ cell tumors of the sacrococcygeal region: radiologic-pathologic correlation. Radiographics. 1994;14:607–20
- Bilik R, Shandling B, Pope M, Thorner P, Weitzman S, Ein SH. Malignant benignneonatal sacrococcygeal teratoma. JPediatr Surg 1993;28:1158-60.
- Schmidt B, Haberlik A, Uray E, Ratschek M, LacknerH, Höllwarth ME. Sacrococcygeal teratoma: clinical course and prognosis with a special view to long-termfunctional results. Pediatr Surgint 1999;15:573-6.
- Bonilia MusolesF, Machado LE, Raga F, Osborne NG, Bonilla FJr. Prenatal diagnosis of sacrococcygeal teratomas by two and threedimensional ultrasound. Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 2002;19:200-5.
- Gonzalez-Crussi F, Winkler R F, Mirkin D L. Sacrococcygeal teratomas in infants and children: relationship of histology and prognosis in 40 cases. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1978;102:420–5.
- Afolabi IR. Sacrococcygeal teratomas:A Case report and a review of literature.Pacific Health Dialog.2003:10(1):1-4
- Gross RW, Clatworthy HW Jr, Meeker IAJR. Sacrococcy gealteratomas in infants and children; a report of 40 cases. Surg Gynecol Obstet.1951Mar;92(3):341-354.
- Lakhoo K. Neonatal teratomas. Early Hum Dev. 2010 Oct; 86(10):643-7.
- Izant RJ, Filston HC. Sacrococcygeal teratomas: analysis of 43 cases . Am J Surg. 1975;130:617–621.
- Ein SH, Adeyemi SD, Mancer K.Benign sacrococcygeal teratoma in infants and children: a 25 year review. Ann Surg .1980;191:382–384
- Moazam F, Talbert JL. Congenital anorectal malformations: harbingers of sacrococcygeal teratomas. Arch Surg.1985; 120:856–859.
- Hanisch BW.Sacrococcygeal teratoma. Creighton University.Dept of Clinical Anatomy.Available from:http://www.creighton.edu/fileadmin/user/groups/CGCA/docs/Saccrococcygeal-Teratoma_2008.pdf.cited on 20/2/16.
- Sushma TA, Sashikala K, Sharmila PS, Shweta SJ, Mahantachar V, Raj JA et al. Study of histomprphological changes of teratomas in tertiary care hospital.Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences.2013;V(12):1771-78.
Roopali D. Nikumbh, Dhiraj B. Nikumbh, Sudhir Singhavi. HISTOLOGICAL AND EMBRYONIC OVERVIEW OF SACROCOCCYGEAL TERATOMA: A SIX YEAR RETROSPECTIVE STUDY. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(1):2108-2113. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.156