Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 1 | Page No. 2073-2075
Date of Publication: 31-03-2016
STUDY OF BRANCHING PATTERN OF SPLENIC ARTERY
Ashok K R *1, Kiran T V 2.
*1 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, BGS Global Institute of Medical Sciences, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India.
2 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, BGS Global Institute of Medical Sciences, Bengaluru, Karnataka, India.
Address: Dr. Ashok. K. R, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, BGS Global Institute of Medical Sciences, Kengeri, Bengaluru, Karnataka – 560060, India. Phone No: 91 – 9743006759
Background: Surgeons and radiologists need detailed anatomic vascular information. The color doppler flow imaging is a major diagnostic tool in preoperative assessment for laparoscopic splenectomy which helps in selecting the operative procedures and treatment modalities. Knowledge of splenic artery anatomy coupled with preoperative evaluation helps to reduce the operation time and intraoperative complications.
Materials and Methods: 76 cadavers have been dissected to study the branching pattern of the splenic artery.
Results: Splenic artery divides in distributed pattern or bundled pattern before entering the hilum of spleen. However in few cases splenic artery enters the spleen without dividing into terminal branches. In our study distributed pattern was seen in 55.3%cases, bundled type in 34.2% cases and splenic artery entered the hilum without branching in remaining 10.5% cases.
Conclusion: As sepsis occurs as sequel in post splenectomy patients the spleen preserving surgeries are gaining importance. Spleen preserving surgeries can be performed in distributed and bundled type of splenic artery.
Key words: Splenic artery, splenectomy, spleen preserving surgery.
- W. Henry Hollinshead, Cornelius Rosse. Textbook Of Anatomy, 4th edition, Harper and Row Publishers; 1985:629.
- Pandey SK, Bhattacharya S, Mishra RN, Shukla VK. Anatomical variations of the splenic artery and its clinical implications. Clin Anat 2004;17:497-502.
- Michael M. Herskowitz, Yair Safriel, Virgillio Gillego. Embolization of a Giant Splenic Artery Aneurysm with Only Proximal Coil Embolization: A Case Report. International Journal of Angiology 2003;12:209-210.
- Karl H. Treutner, Bernd Klosterhalfen, Gerd Winkeltau, Slyvia Moench, Volker Schumpelick. Vascular Anatomy of the Spleen: The Basis of Organ – Preserving surgery. Clin Anat 1993;6:1-8.
- XU Wei-li, LI Suo-lin, WANG Yan, SHI Bao-jun, LI Meng, LI Ying-chao et al. Laparoscopic splenectomy: color Doppler flow imaging for preoperative evaluation. Chinese Medical Journal 2009;122(10):1203-1208.
- Sow ML, Dia A, Ouedraogo T Anatomic basis for conservative surgery of the spleen. Surg Radiol Anat 1991;13(2):81-7.
Ashok K R, Kiran T V. STUDY OF BRANCHING PATTERN OF SPLENIC ARTERY. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(1):2073-2075. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.145