Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 1 | Page No. 1998-2001
Date of Publication: 29-02-2016
A STUDY ON CONGENITAL MALFORMATIONS IN FETUSES IN RESPECT TO MATERNAL AGE
V.Sailaja *1, Sudhakar Babu 2, M.Padmavathi 3.
*1 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Kamineni Institute of Medical Sciences, Nalgonda, Telangana, India.
2 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
3 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Osmania Medical College, Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
Address: Dr.V.Sailaja, MD (Anatomy), Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Kamineni Institute of Medical Sciences, Nalgonda, Telangana, India.
Aims and Objectives: Assess the association of the congenital malformations with maternal age & analyse the congenital malformations, involving various systems of the body system wise.
Materials and Methods: Foetuses of pregnant women attending government hospitals in Hyderabad were screened during a period of one year from October 2011 to September 2012 through ultrasonographic evaluation in the second trimester (12wks to 28wks) for congenital anomalies.
Results: The central nervous system involving neural tube defects and musculoskeletal system involvement were the commonest among congenital anomalies affecting elderly maternal age group.
Conclusion: Congenital anomalies are increasing in frequency with increasing maternal age & to prevent them more focus should be laid on maternal education, pre-marital counselling, antenatal care, supplementation with folic acid, prenatal ultrasonography & genetic studies in at-risk individuals.
Key words: Congenital anomalies, maternal age, maternal education, neural tube defects, prenatal ultrasonography.
- K Fatema et al. Major Congenital Malformations Among The Newborns in BSMMU Hospital. Bangladesh Medical Journal 2011;40(1):7-12.
- Sunethri Padma et al. Pattern Of Distribution Of Congenital Anomalies In Stillborn: A Hospital Based Prospective Study’. International Journal Of Pharma And Bio Sciences 2011;2(2):604-610.
- Swain S., Agrawal A. and Bhatia BD., Congenital Malformations at birth. Indian Journal of Pediatrics 1994;31:1187-1191.
- Neelu A Desai, Avinash Desai. Congenital Anomalies : A Prospective Study. Bombay Hospital Journal. 2006;442-445.
- Samina Shamim, Nadeem Chohan, Sobia. Pattern Of Congenital Malformations And Their Neonatal Outcome. Qmar Journal of Surgery Pakistan (International). January – March 2010;15(1):34-37.
- Shama Munim, Salva Nadeem, Nadya Ali Khuwaja. The Accuracy of Ultrasound in the Diagnosis of Congenital Abnormalities. J Pak Med Assoc. 2006;56(1):16-18.
- Muhammad Nafees et al. Congenital Fetal Anomalies Antenatal Ultrasound Detection. www.paf mj.org/printdetail.php?id=100&t=o. September 2006;3:1-6.
- Ernest B. Hook. Maternal Age, Paternal Age, and Human Chromosome Abnormality: Nature, Magnitude, Etiology and Mechanisms of Effects. Basic Life Sciences. 1985;36:117-132. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4613-2127-9_8.
- Jane Cleary-Goldman. Impact of Maternal Age on Obstetric Outcome Obstet Gynecol 2005;105:983–90.
- Warburton D. The eﬀect of maternal age on the frequency of trisomy: change in meiosis or in utero selection? Prog. Clin. Biol. Res. 1989;311:165–181.
- John Haaga. Mechanisms of association of Maternal Age, Parity, and Birth Spacing with Infant Health. Rand corporation; 1991.
- Amar Taksande et al. Congenital malformations at birth in Central India: A rural medical college hospital based data. Indian J Hum Genet. 2010 Sep-Dec;16(3): 159-163.
- Alan C. Stevenson, Harold A. Johnston, patrica stewart MI. Congenital Malformations: A report of a study of series of consecutive Births in 24 centres. Bull. WHO 1966;34:1-127.
- Kook Lee, et al. Effectiveness Of Prenatal Ultrasonography In Detecting Fetal Anomalies And Perinatal Outcome Of Anomalous Foetuses. Yonsei Medical Journal 1998;39(4):372-382.
- Somsri Pitukkijronnakorn MD et al. The Value of Mid-Trimester Routine Ultrasonographic Screening in Antenatal Detection of Congenital Malformations. J Med Assoc Thai 2009;92(6):748-53.
- Zilfalil BA. and Rowani MR. Online Birth Defects in Newborn at Hospital Universiti sains Malaysia, Kelantan. 1997. www.eimjm.com/Vol2-No1/Vol2-No1-B3.htm.
V.Sailaja, Sudhakar Babu, M.Padmavathi. A STUDY ON CONGENITAL MALFORMATIONS IN FETUSES IN RESPECT TO MATERNAL AGE. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(1):1998-2001. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2016.129