Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 1 | Page No. 1869-1873
Date of Publication: 31-01-2016
A STUDY OF THE ANATOMY OF SUPRAORBITAL NOTCH AND FORAMEN AND ITS CLINICAL CO-RELATES
Jaiswal Sonia *1, Pasricha Navbir 2, Bedi Ravinder Singh 3.
*1 Lecturer, Department of Anatomy, Era’s Lucknow Medical College, Lucknow, India.
2 Professor, Department of Anatomy, Era’s Lucknow Medical College, Lucknow, India.
3 Department of Comunity Medicine, Texila American University, Georgetown, South America.
Address: Dr Sonia Jaiswal, Lecturer, Department of Anatomy, Era’s Lucknow Medical College, Lucknow, India.
Objectives: A detailed knowledge of the position of supraorbital notch/ foramen is essential for performing invasive surgical procedures involving anesthetic and therapeutic procedures. It is also helpful for anthropologists and forensic scientists.
Materials and Methods: Supraorbital notch and or foramen were analyzed in 100 human dry skulls bilaterally using digital vernier Calipers. The parameters that were taken up in the study were number of the notches/foramen, shape of the foramen and distance of the supraorbital notch/foramen from the nasion and from the frontozygomatic suture.
Results: Supraorbital notches were found to be more in number 43.8% as compared to foramens which were about 17.7%. Numbers of oval shaped foramina were more than round shaped foramina. The mean distance of Supra orbital Foramen (SOF)/ Supra orbital Notch SON from the nasion was about 21.66mm on right and 21.51mm on left side. Distance of SOF/ SON from the frontozygomatic suture on the right side was about 29.29mm while on the left side it was about 28.98mm.
Conclusion: Shape and position of the supraorbital notch/foramen was quite variable as was found in the present study. Hence detailed morphological analysis of supraorbital notch/foramen is essential for various therapeutic and anesthetic procedures.
KEY WORDS: Supraorbital notch, Supraorbital foramen, Supraorbital nerves and vessels.
- Gupta T. Localization of important facial foramina encountered in maxillofacial surgery. Clin Anat 2008 Oct;21(7):633-640.
- Pareja JA, Caminero AB. Supraorbital neuralgia. Curr Pain Headache Rep 2006 Aug;10(4):302-305.
- Cutright B, Quillopa N, Schubert W. An anthropometric analysis of the key foramina for maxillofacial surgery. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2003 Mar;61(3):354-357.
- Caputi CA, Firetto V. Therapeutic blockade of greater occipital and supraorbital nerves in migraine patients. Headache 1997 Mar;37(3):174-179.
- Beer GM, Putz R, Mager K, Schumacher M, Keil W. Variations of the frontal exit of the supraorbital nerve: an anatomic study. Plast Reconstr Surg 1998 Aug;102(2):334-341.
- Jeong SM, Park KJ, Kang SH, Shin HW, Kim H, Lee HK, et al. Anatomical consideration of the anterior and lateral cutaneous nerves in the scalp. J Korean Med Sci 2010 Apr;25(4):517-522.
- Cheng AC, Yuen HK, Lucas PW, Lam DS, So KF. Characterization and localization of the supraorbital and frontal exits of the supraorbital nerve in Chinese: an anatomic study. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 2006 MayJun;22(3):209-213.
- Apinhasmit W, Chompoopong S, Methathrathip D, Sansuk R, Phetphunphiphat W. Supraorbital Notch/Foramen, Infraorbital Foramen and Mental Foramen in Thais: anthropometric measurements and surgical relevance. J Med Assoc Thai 2006 May;89(5):675-682.
- Agthong S, Huanmanop T, Chentanez V. Anatomical variations of the supraorbital, infraorbital, and mental foramina related to gender and side. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2005 Jun;63(6):800-804.
- Chung MS, Kim HJ, Kang HS, Chung IH. Locational relationship of the supraorbital notch or foramen and infraorbital and mental foramina in Koreans. Acta Anat (Basel) 1995;154(2):162-166.
- Webster RC, Gaunt JM, Hamdan US, Fuleihan NS, Giandello PR, Smith RC. Supraorbital and supratrochlear notches and foramina: anatomical variations and surgical relevance. Laryngoscope 1986 Mar;96(3):311-315.
- Smith JD, Surek CC, Cortez EA. Withdrawn. Localization of the supraorbital, infraorbital, and mental foramina using palpable, bony landmarks. Clin Anat 2010 May;23(4):495.
- Liu DN, Guo JL, Luo Q, Tian Y, Xia CL, Li YQ, et al. Location of supraorbital foramen/notch and infraorbital foramen with reference to soft- and hardtissue landmarks. J Craniofac Surg 2011 Jan;22(1):293-296.
- Guyuron B, Varghai A, Michelow BJ, Thomas T, Davis J. Corrugator supercilii muscle resection and migraine headaches. Plast Reconstr Surg 2000 Aug;106(2):429-434, discussion 435-437.
- Guyuron B, Kriegler JS, Davis J, Amini SB. Comprehensive surgical treatment of migraine headaches. Plast Reconstr Surg 2005 Jan;115(1):1-9.
Jaiswal Sonia, Pasricha Navbir, Bedi Ravinder Singh. A STUDY OF THE ANATOMY OF SUPRAORBITAL NOTCH AND FORAMEN AND ITS CLINICAL CO-RELATES. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(1):1869-1873. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.354