Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 1 | Page No. 1828-1832
Date of Publication: 31-01-2016
A STUDY OF THE BIFURCATION OF SCIATIC NERVE AND ITS CLINICAL IMPORTANCE
S.Dhivya *, Kalai Anbusudar .
*Assistant Professor of Anatomy, Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College, Salem, Tamil Nadu, India.
Address: Dr.S.Dhivya. M.D., Assistant Professor of Anatomy, Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College, Salem-636 030, Tamil Nadu, India. Mobile No: 9003558900.
Background: The sciatic nerve ,the principal nerve of the posterior compartment of the lower limb normally divides at the superior angle of popliteal fossa.Sometimes there could be higher division,the knowledge of which is important in avoiding inadvertent injury during surgeries in the gluteal region .
Materials and Method: The study was conducted in 64 lower limbs at Government Stanley Medical College,Chennai and Government Mohan Kumaramangalam Medical College,Salem.
Results: In 60 limbs, the sciatic nerve divided at superior angle of popliteal fossa.In 3 limbs,there was higher division at the level of upper part of the thigh.In 1 limb,there was intrapelvic division of nerve with split piriformis.
Conclusion: Knowledge of these variations help during popliteal nerve blocks and in the management of nondiscogenic causes of sciatica.
KEY WORDS: Tibial Nerve, Common Peroneal Nerve, Sciatica, Piriformis syndrome, Popliteal block.
- Standring S, Mahadevan V, Collins P, Healy JC, Lee J, Niranjan NS, eds. Gray’s Anatomy, The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice. 40th Ed., Spain, Philadelphia, Churchill Livingstone Elsevier. 2008;1336-1338,1368-1371.
- Moore KL,Persaud TVN.The Developing Human.8th ed.Elsevier:2008;368-371
- Beaton LE, Anson BJ: The relation of the sciatic nerve and its subdivisions to the piriformis muscle. Anat Rec. 1937;70:1-5.
- Beaton LE: The sciatic nerve and piriform muscle: Their interrelation possible cause of coccgodynia. J Bone Joint Surgery Am 1938;20:686-688.
- Mengistu Desalegn, Amanuel Tesfay .Variations of Sciatic Nerve Its Exit in Relation to Piriformis Muscle in the Northern Ethiopia.International Journal of Pharma Sciences and Research.2014;5(12):953-956
- Saritha S, Praveen Kumar M, Supriya G . Anatomical Variations in the Bifurcation of the Sciatic Nerve, A Cadaveric Study and its Clinical Implications. Anat Physiol 2:111.
- Chiranjib Bapuli et al . Indian Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Research; December 2013;3(1):16-20
- Mustafa Guvencer ,Cihan Yem,nar Akyer,Suleyman Tet,Sait Nader.Variations in the High Division of the Sciatic Nerve and Relationship Between the Sciatic Nerve and the Piriformis. Turkish Neurosurgery 2009;19(2):139-144.
- Machado FA, Babinski MA, Brasil FB, Favorito LA, Abidu-Figueiredo M, Costa MG. Anatomical variations between sciatic nerve and piriform muscle during fetal period in human. Int J Morphol. 2003;21:29-35
- Ugrenoviæ S, Jovanoviæ I, Krstiæ V, et al. The level of the sciatic nerve division and its relations to the piriform muscle. Vojnosanit Pregl. 2005;62:45-9.
- Jawish RM, Assoum HA, Khamis CF. Anatomical, clinical and electrical observations in piriformis syndrome. J Orthop Surg Res. 2010;5:3.
- Demiryurek D, Bayramoglu A, Erbil M, Aldur MM, Mustafa ES. Bilateral divided piriformis muscle together with the high division of the sciatic nerve. Gazi Med J. 2002;13:41-4.
- J.A.Ogengo,H.El Busaidy et al.Variant anatomy of Sciatix nerve in a black Kenyan population.Folia Morphol.2011;70(3):175-179
- Shailesh P, Mitesh S, Rakesh V, Ankur Z, S P R. A variation in the high division of the sciatic nerve and its relation with piriformis muscle. National journal of Medical Research. 2011;1(2).
- Benzon H.T., Katz J.A., Benzon H.A.,Iqbal M.S. Piriformis syndrome: anatomic considerations, a new injection technique, and a review of the literature. Anesthesiology. 2003;98(6):1442-8.
- Moura T.C,Rangelde J.O., Alves M.M. et al. Endoscopic Tenotomy of Piriformis Muscle. Anatomic Study in Cadaver 1998.
- Sharma T., Singla R.K,Lalit M. Bilateral eventration of sciatic nerve. JNMA, Journal of the Nepal Medical Association. 2010;50(180):30: 9-12.
S.Dhivya, Kalai Anbusudar. A STUDY OF THE BIFURCATION OF SCIATIC NERVE AND ITS CLINICAL IMPORTANCE. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(1):1828-1832. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.345