Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 1 | Page No. 1789-1794
Date of Publication: 31-01-2016
OSPE IN ANATOMY: NEW DIMENSIONS IN ASSESSMENT
Rajiv Ranjan *1, Amit Jain 2, Rashmi Bhujade 3.
*1 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, RDGMC, Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh, India.
2 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, RDGMC, Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh, India.
3 Assistant Professor, Department of Community Medicine, RDGMC, Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh, India.
Address: Dr Rajiv Ranjan, B-6/I, R D Gardi Medical college campus, Ujjain- 456006, Madhya Pradesh, India. Mobile no.: +919039129569
Introduction: As teaching methodology has been going through a methodological transformation to a student-centric approach, problem- based learning and early clinical exposure; so should be the examination and evaluation technique. Considering the fact that still the 1st year undergraduates are being evaluated using the Traditional Practical Examination(TPE) technique; we considered to revamp it with Objective Structured Practical Examination (OSPE); the analogue of Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) in evaluation of practical perspective. Objectives of the present study are to determine the accuracy, efficacy, practicality and prospect of Objective Structured Practical Examination (OSPE) as a tool for assessment of teaching-learning outcome in anatomy among 1st year medical undergraduates.
Materials and Methods: 150 undergraduate students were evaluated using OSPE after undergoing through their TPE, during the pre-university examination. The event was followed by filling of a pre-set Likert-type questionnaire for their respective views about both TPE and OSPE. Their performance and responses were then analysed.
Result and Conclusion: OSPE emerged as a better tool in terms of assessment and performance as well as from the student’s point of view.
KEY WORDS: Medical Anatomy, Practical assessment, TPE, OSPE.
- Davis, M. H. and R. M. Harden. AMEE Medical Education Guide No. 15: Problem-based learning: A practical guide. Medical Teacher 1999;21(2):130-140.
- Harden RM, Stevenson M, Downie WW, Wilson GM. Assessment of clinical competence using objective structured examination. Br Med J 1975;1:447-451.
- Ananthakrishnan N. Objective structured clinical/practical examination (OSCE/OSPE) J Postgrad Med.1993;39:82-4.
- Dissanayake AS, Ali BA, Nayar U. The influence of the introduction of objective structured practical examinations in physiology on student performance at King Faisal University Medical School. Med Teach. 1990;12:297-304.
- Lowry S. Assessment of students. Br Med J. 1993;306:51–54.
- Rahman N, Ferdousi S, Hoq N, Amin R, Kabir J. Evaluation of objective structured practical examination and traditional practical examination. Mymensingh Med J. 2007;16:7–11.
- Reem Rachel Abraham,Rao Raghavendra,Kamath Surekha, and Kamath Asha:A trial of the objective structured practical examination in physiology at Melaka Manipal Medical College, India. Adv Physiol Educ 2009;33(1):21-3.
- Roy V, Tekur U, Prabhu S. A comparative study of two evaluation techniques in pharmacology practicals: Conventional practical examination versus objective structured practical examination. Indian J Pharmacol 2004;36(6):386-8.
- Mahajan AS, Shankar N, Tandon OP. The Comparison of OSPE with Conventional Physiology Practical Assessment. Journal of the International Association of Medical Science Educators, 2004;14:54-57.
- Feroze M, Jacob AJ; OSPE in pathology. Indian J Pathol Microbiol, 2002;45(1):53-58.
- Chakravarty M, Latif NA, Abu-Hijleh MF, Osman M, Dharap AS, Ganguly PK. Assessment of anatomy in a problem-based medical curriculum. Clin Anat. 2005 Mar;18(2):131-6.
- Yaqinuddin A, Zafar M, Ikram MF, Ganguly P; What is an objective structured practical examination in anatomy?. Anatomical sciences education, 2013;6(2):125-133.
- Gaikwad AP, Patil AD; An Introduction of OSPE for Embryology to First MBBS Students in Anatomy Department. Sch. J. App. Med. Sci., 2015;3(6B):2306-2308
- Hasan S, Malik S, Hamad A, Khan H, Bilal M; Conventional/Traditional practical examination (CPE/TDPE) versus objective structured practical examination (OSPE)/semi objective structured practical evaluation (SOSPE). Pak. J. Physiol, 2009;5(1): 54-64.
- Malik SL, Manchanda SK, Deepak KK, Sunderam KR; THE attitude of medical students to the objective structured practical examination. Med Educ, 1988;22(1):40-6.
- Mathews L, Menon J, Mani NS. Micro-OSCE for assessment of undergraduates. Indian Pediatr.2004;41:159-63.
- Guilbert JJ. Washington: D.C. who.int; 1998. Educational handbook for health personnel. WHO offset publication No: 35 Revised and updated; pp.2–31.
Rajiv Ranjan, Amit Jain, Rashmi Bhujade. OSPE IN ANATOMY: NEW DIMENSIONS IN ASSESSMENT. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(1):1789-1794. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.336