Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 1 | Page No. 1765-1768
Date of Publication: 31-01-2016
STUDY OF ANATOMICAL VARIATIONS IN THE ORIGIN OF SUPERIOR THYROID ARTERY
Shivaleela C *1, Anupama D 2, Lakshmi Prabha Subhash R 3.
*1 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy Sri Siddhartha Medical College Tumkur, Karnataka, India.
2 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy Sri Siddhartha Medical College Tumkur, Karnataka, India.
3 Professor and Head, Department of Anatomy Sri Siddhartha Medical College Tumkur, Karnataka, India.
Address: Dr. Shivaleela C, Assistant Professor of Anatomy, Sri Siddhartha medical college, Tumkur, Karnataka, India PIN- 572107
Background: The thyroid gland is one of the ductless glands located in front and on the sides of the trachea opposite C5, C6, & C7 vertebra. The superior thyroid artery (STA) is the branch of the external carotid artery, and arises from the anterior surface of the external carotid just below the level of the greater cornua of the hyoid bone. The knowledge of these variations in the origin of STA is important for various surgical procedures in the radical neck dissection, thyroidectomy, and catheterization, reconstruction of aneurysm, carotid endarterectomy and interventional radiology.
Materials and Methods: This study was conducted on 42 cadavers of known age and sex in the department of anatomy Sri Siddhartha Medical College, Tumkur Karnataka, India.. The specimens were studied by gross anatomical dissection.
Results: In our study the site of origin of superior thyroid artery from external carotid was 76.19%, 21.43% of the cases the origin was from the common carotid bifurcation and 2.38% of the cases the origin was from common carotid artery. In our study, in 88.9% of the cases the level of the origin of the superior thyroid artery was above the upper border of the cartilage and in 11.90% of the cases the origin of the superior thyroid artery was at the upper border of the cartilage. In our study the distance from upper pole of the thyroid gland to the level where external laryngeal nerve turn medially from Superior thyroid artery was more than one centimeter in 73.80% and in 26.19% of the cases the distance was less than one centimeter.
Conclusion: A profound knowledge of the anatomic characteristics and variation of the superior thyroid artery such as its origin, course and branching patterns is an important value for a safe attempt in suitable position for catheterization and approach for surgeons in planning and performing procedure in neck region. The knowledge of relationship of superior thyroid artery to external superior laryngeal nerve is very important for surgeons during thyroid surgeries to avoid injuries to above nerves while ligating superior thyroid artery.
KEY WORDS: Superior thyroid artery, Carotid artery, Thyroid.
- Standring, S. (Ed). Gray's Anatomy: The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice 40th ed. NewYork Churchill Livingstone.2008;1279-80
- Smith SD, Benton RS. A rare origin of superior thyroid artery. Acta Anat 1978;101:91-3.
- Macchi C, Catini C. The anatomy and clinical importance of the collateral circle between the external carotid arteries through an anastomosis between the superior thyroid arteries. Ital J Anat Embryol 1993;98:197-205.
- Standring S, Ellis H, Healy JC, Johnson D, William A, Collins P, eds. Gray’s Anatomy: The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice. 39th Ed., London, Elsevier, Churchill Livingstone. 2005;543-547.
- Mehta V, Suri RK, Arora J, Rath G, Das S. Anomalous superior thyroid artery. Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ). 2010 Oct- Dec;8(32):429-31.
- Morrigyl B, Sturm W, Absence of three regular thyroid arteries replaced by an unusual lowest thyroid artery: A case report. Surg Radiol Anat 1996;18:147-50.
- Vandana Mehta, Rajesh.K.Suri, Jyoti Arora, Gayatri Rath, Srijit Das Anomalous (absent) Superior Thyroid Artery. Kathmandu Univ Med J 2010;8(32):426-8.
- Takkallapalli Anitha, Dattatray Dombe, Krishnamurthy Asha, Sanjay Kalbande, Clinically relevant variations of the superior thyroid artery: An anatomic guide for neck surgeries, Int J Pharm Biomed Sci 2011;2(2):51-54.
- Lucev-N, Babinac D, Maric I, Drescik I, Variations of the great arteries in the carotid triangle. Otolaryngol Head and Neck Surgery 2000;122:590-591.
- Banna M, Lasjaunias P. The arteries of the lingual thyroid: angiographic findings and anatomic variations. Am J Neuro-radiol 1990;11:730-732.
- Abhijeet Joshi, Sumit Gupta, V H Vaniya Anatomical variation in the origin of superior thyroid artery and it’s relation with external laryngeal nerve. National journal of medical research. 2014;4(2):138-41.
- Blizzard, sir W Quoted by sir James Berry, The Thyroid Gland, Churchill 1901.
- Cattell RB, Philips ES. Anomalous superior thyroid artery; a finding during resection of carotid body tumor. Post Grad Med, 1949;5:137.
- Gorski M, Przegl Lek, 1970:7;271.
- Ozgur Z, Govsa F, Ozgrs T. Assessment of origin of characteristics of the front branches of ECA. J Cranio Fac Surg 2008;19:1159-1166.
Shivaleela C, Anupama D, Lakshmi Prabha Subhash R. STUDY OF ANATOMICAL VARIATIONS IN THE ORIGIN OF SUPERIOR THYROID ARTERY. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(1):1765-1768. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.327