Type of Article: Case Report
Year: 2016 | Volume 4 | Issue 1 | Page No. 1754-1757
Date of Publication: 31-01-2016
RIGHT INFERIOR PHRENIC ARTERY AS A BRANCH OF THE RIGHT RENAL ARTERY: A CASE REPORT
Faria L.A.M 1, Ferreira W.S.M 1, Almeidinha D. L 1, Moraes L.O.C.*1,2.
*1 Department of Morphology - Medical School – Universidade Cidade de São Paulo – São Paulo – Brazil.
2 Descriptive and Topographic Anatomy’s Discipline - Department of Morphology and Genetic – Universidade Federal de São Paulo - São Paulo – Brazil.
Address: Prof. Dr. Luis Otavio Carvalho de Moraes, Descriptive and Topographic Anatomy’s Discipline, Department of Morphology and Genetic, Universidade Federal de São Paulo – Escola Paulista de Medicina, Rua Botucatu, 740 – Edifício Leitão da Cunha, Vila Clementino – São Paulo – SP – Brazil – 04023-900, Phone: (55-11) 5576-4261 extension 25, Fax: (55-11) 5571-7597
The inferior phrenic arteries are involved in many diseases, such as hepatocellular carcinoma, where they are the main vessels responsible for the collateral arterial supply of this type of tumor of hepatic cells which is highly malignant. During a routine dissection a vascular variant was found in the abdominal cavity of a 34-year-old black cadaver whose right inferior phrenic artery (RIPA) derived from the right renal artery. This finding is clinically important since the transcatheter embolization of hepatocellular carcinoma and other hepatic neoplasms, such as hepatoblastoma and capsular adenoma frequently involve studying the root of the RIPA. This way, angiography can be potentially beneficial for knowing how the origins of these vessels vary.
KEY WORDS: Right inferior phrenic artery, Right renal artery, Hepatocellular carcinoma.
- Chung JW, Park JH, Han JK, Choi BI, Kim TK, Han MC. Transcatheter oily chemoemobolization of the inferior phrenic artery in hepatocellular carcinoma: the safety and pontetial therapeutic role. J Vasc Interv Radiol 1998;9:495-500.
- Michels, N. Blood supply and anatomy of the abdominal organs. London: Pitman Medical Publishing; 1955. p. 35-36.
- Hiwatashi A, Yoshida K. The origin of right inferior phrenic artery on multidetector row helical CT. Clin Imaging 2003;27(5):298-303.
- Tanabe N, Iwasaki T, Chida N, Suzuki S, Akahane T, Kobayashi N, Ishii M, Toyota T. Hepatocellular carcinomas supplied by inferior phrenic arteries. Acta Radiol 1998;39:443-7.
- Gokan T, Hashimoto T, Matsui S, Kushihashi T, Nobusawa H, Munechika H. Helical CT demonstration of dilated right inferior phrenic arteries as extrahepatic collateral arteries of hepatocellular carcinomas. J Comput Assist Tomog 2001;25(1):68-73.
- TakeuchiY, Arai Y, Inaba Y, Ohno K, Maeda T, Itai Y. Extrahepatic arterial supply to the liver: observation with a unified CT and angiography system during temporary balloon occlusion of the proper hepatic artery. Radiology1998;209:121–128.
- YamagamiT, Kato T, Tanaka O, Hirota T, Nishimura T. Influence of extrahepatic arterial inflow into the posterior segment or caudate lobe of the liver on repeated hepatic arterial infusion chemotherapy. J Vasc Interv Radiol2005;16(4):457–463.
- Northrop CH, Studley MA, Smith GR. Hemorrhage from the gastroesophageal junction. A cryptic angiographic diagnosis. Radiology. 1975;117(3 Pt 1):531-2.
- LoukasM, Hullett J, Wagner T. Clinical anatomy of the inferior phrenic artery. Clin Anat2005;18(5):357–365.
- OkinoY, Kiyosue H, Matsumoto S, Takaji R, Yamada Y, Mori H. Hepatocellular carcinoma: prediction of blood supply from right inferior phrenic artery by multiphasic CT. J Comput Assist Tomogr2003; 27(3): 341–346. CrossRef, Medline
- Bakheit M, Motabagani M. Anomalies of the renal, phrenic, suprarenal arteries. Saudi Med J 2004;25(3):376-8.
- Piao DX, Ohtsuka A, Murakami T. Typology of abdominal arteries, with special reference to inferior phrenic arteries and their esophageal branches. Acta Med Okayama 1998;52(4):189-96.
- Lin PH, Chalk EL. Embryology, anatomy and surgical exposure of the abdominal blood vessels. Surg Clin N Am. 2000;80:417–33.
- Deepthinath R, Satheesha Nayak B, Mehta RB, Setharama B, Rodrigues V, Samuel VP, Venkataramana V, Prasad A. Multiple variations in the paired arteries of the abdominal aorta. Clin Anat 2006;19:566-8.
Faria L.A.M, Ferreira W.S.M, Almeidinha D. L, Moraes L.O.C. RIGHT INFERIOR PHRENIC ARTERY AS A BRANCH OF THE RIGHT RENAL ARTERY: A CASE REPORT. Int J Anat Res 2016;4(1):1754-1757. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.317