Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 4 | Page No. 1732-1736
Date of Publication: 31-12-2015
A CADAVERIC STUDY OF VARIATIONS IN THE ORIGIN OF LATERAL CIRCUMFLEX FEMORAL ARTERY
Apurva Pradipkumar Darji *1, Hitesh Chauhan 2, Paras Shrimankar 3, Hardik Khatri 4, Swati Aterkar 5, C.A. Pensi 6, S. M. Patel 7.
*1 Tutor, Government Medical College, Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India.
2 Tutor, B.J.Medical College, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
3 Associate Professor, B.J.Medical College, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
4 Assistant Professor, U.N.Mehta Institute of Cardiology and Research Centre, Gujarat, India.
5 Ex- Professor, B.J.Medical College, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
6Ex- Professor and Head Of The Department, B.J.Medical College, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
7 Professor and Head of the Department, Government Medical College, Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India.
Address: Dr. Apurva Pradipkumar Darji, J-104, Indraprasth-9; GST Crossing Road; New Ranip, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India.
Introduction: The lateral circumflex femoral artery is a branch of the profunda femoris artery, which is the largest branch of femoral artery. The knowledge of origin and branching patterns of the lateral circumflex femoral artery is valuable for various surgeries and clinical procedures.
Objectives: To determine mode of origin of lateral circumflex femoral artery and to determine the distance of origin of lateral circumflex femoral artery from the origin of profunda femoris artery and from mid-inguinal point.
Materials and Method: 130 femoral triangles were studied and various measurements were noted and analysed from the department of anatomy of various Medical colleges of Gujarat.
Result and conclusion: The lateral circumflex femoral artery originated from profunda femoris artery in 119 cases and from femoral artery in 11 cases. In most of the cases, the distance of origin of lateral circumflex femoral artery from the origin of profunda femoris artery was ranging from 11 to 40 mm on both the sides.
KEY WORDS: Femoral artery, Lateral circumflex femoral artery, Profunda femoris artery.
- Standring S, Healy JC, Johnson D, Williams A, Collins P. Gray’s Anatomy: The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice.40th ed. London: Elsevier, Churchill Liwingstone 2008; p.409, 491-494,544,665-668,1349-85.
- Vasquez M T, Murillo J, Maranillo E, Parkin I, Sanudo J. Patterns of the circumflex femoral arteries. Clinical Anat 2007; 20(2):180-185.
- Baskaya MK, Kiehn MW, Ahmed AS, Ates Ö and Niemann DB, Alternative vascular graft for extracranial-intracranial bypass surgery: descending branch of the lateral circumflex femoral artery. Neurosurg Focus 2008;24:1-7.
- Sugawara Y, Sato O, Miyata T, Kimura H, Namba T, Makuuchi M. Utilization of the lateral circumflex femoral artery as a midway outflow for aortopopliteal grafting: report of a case. Surg Today 1998;28:967-970.
- Gradman WS. Bypass to the lateral circumflex femoral artery. Ann Vasc Surg 1992; 6:344-346.
- Vuksanovic-Bozaric A, Stefanivić N, Pavlović S, Đuraškosvić R, Ranđelović J, Analysis of deep femoral artery origin variances on fetal material. Facta Universitatis: Medicine and Biology 2007;14(3):112-116.
- Valdatta L, Tuinder S, Buoro M, Thione A, Faga A, Putz R. Lateral circumflex femoral arterial system and perforators of the anterolateral thigh flap: an anatomic study. Ann Plast Surg 2002;49:145-150.
- Shetty A, Santosh S, Rakesh G, Narendra P, Raghu J. An Atypical Outsized Lateral Circumflex Femoral Artery and Its Clinical Implications. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research 2012;6(7):1284-5.
- Cunningham’s manual of practical anatomy. Vol.-1. Upper and lower limbs. 13th edi. London: Oxford university press 1966;132-69.
- Adachi B. Das arteriensystem der Japaner, Band II. Kyoto: Verlag der Kaiserlich 1928; p. 151. (cited by uzel)
- Hollinshead WJ. Anatomy for surgeon’s. The Back and Limbs, vol.3. Newyork: Medical book department of harper and brothers 1958;705-42.
- Lippert H, Pabst R. Arterial variation in man, classification and frequency. J F Bergmann-Verlag N Munche 1985;416-20.
- Clarke SM, Colborn GL. The medial femoral artery: its clinical anatomy and nomenclature, Clin Anat 1993;6:94-105.
- Fukuda H, Ashida M, Ishii R, Abe S, Ibukuro, Anatomical variants of the lateral femoral circumflex artery: an angiographic study. Surg Radiol Anat 2005;27:260–64.
- Choi SW, Park JY, Hur MS, Park HD, Kang HJ, Hu KS et al. An anatomic assessment on perforators of the lateral circumflex femoral artery for anterolateral thigh flap, J Craniofac Surg 2007;18(4):866-71.
- Bapist M, Sultana F, Hssain T. Anatomical variation of the origin of profunda femoris artery, its branches and diameter of artery. Professional Med J 2007;14(3):523-7.
- Tansatit T, Wanidchaploi S, Sanguansit P. The anatomy of the lateral circumflex femoral artery in anterolateral thigh flap. Thai: J Med Assoc 2008;91(9):1404–09.
- Uzel M,Tanyeli E, Yildirim M. Anatomical study of the origin of the lateral circumflex femoral artery in the Turkish population. Folia Morphol 2008;67(4):226-30.
- Prakash, Kumari J, Bharadwaj AK , Jose BA, Yadav KS, Sing G. Variations in the origins of the profunda femoris, medial and lateral femoral circumflex arteries: a cadaver study in the Indian population, Romanian journal of morphology and embryology 2010;51(1):167-70.
- Dixit D, Dharati M, Suresh P, Mital M, Singel TC. A study of variations in the origin of profunda femoris artery and its circumflex branches. Int J Biol Med Res 2011; 2(4):1084-89.
- Kukarni SP, Nikade VV. A study of branching pattern of femoral artery in femoral triangle in cadavers. International journal of recent trends in science and technology. 2013;6(1):53-55.
- Anajankar VP, Panshewdikar PN, Thakare G, Mane U, Tekale V. Morphological study on branching pattern of femoral artery: a cadaveric study. International journal of biomedical and pharmaceutical sciences 2014;4(28):34-38.
- Mamatha H., Antony Sylvan D’souza, Jessica S., Suhani S. A cadaveric study on the variations in the origin, course and branching pattern of the profunda femoris artery. Int J Cur Res Rev 2012;04(19):137-44.
- Bergman AR, Afifi KA, Miyauchi R.Variation in deep femoral (profunda femoris) artery. Illustrated encyclopedia of human anatomic variation: opus II: Cardiovascular system. [ cited 2011 may 27 ]. Available from: www.anatomyatlases.org.
- Siddharth P, Smith NL, Mason RA, Giron F. Variational anatomy of the deep femoral artery. Anat Rec 1985;212(2):206-9.
- Samarawickrama MB, Nanayakkara BG, Wimalagunarathna KWR, Nishantha DG , Walawag UB. Branching pattern of the femoral artery at the femoral triangle: a cadaver study. Galle Medical Journal 2009;14(1):31-34.
Apurva Pradipkumar Darji, Hitesh Chauhan, Paras Shrimankar, Hardik Khatri, Swati Aterkar 5, C.A. Pensi, S. M. Patel. A CADAVERIC STUDY OF VARIATIONS IN THE ORIGIN OF LATERAL CIRCUMFLEX FEMORAL ARTERY. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(4):1732-1736. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.331