Type of Article: Case Report
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 4 | Page No. 1697-1699
Date of Publication: 31-12-2015
FOUR HEADS OF STERNOCLEIDOMASTOID
Sriambika K * 1, Nutan Nalini Bage 2, V.K. Nim 3.
*1 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences, Pondicherry, India.
2 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences, Pondicherry, India.
3 Professor, Department of Anatomy, Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences, Pondicherry, India.
Address: Dr. Sriambika, Department of Anatomy, Pondicherry Institute of Medical Sciences, Ganapathychettikulam, Kalapet, Pondicherry-605014, India. Mobile no.: +918220008072
During the routine cadaveric dissection, the presence of accessory heads of Sternocleidomastoid was observed on right side. i.e., additional bellies from sternal and clavicle were observed on the right side. These additional slips were innervated by the spinal accessory nerve. These additional slips could have been formed due to unusual splitting in the mesoderm of post-sixth branchial arch during organogenesis.
The awareness of variations of sternocleidomastoid muscle is important for Anaesthetists, Plastic surgeons, Orthopaedicians and Dental surgeons while taking muscle flap in reconstructive surgeries and is also important for radiologists while interpreting MR images of this region.
KEY WORDS: Sternocleidomastoid, Clavicular head, Sternal head.
- Standring S, ed. Neck. In: Standring S. Gray’s Anatomy: The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice. 40th Ed., Elsevier, Churchill Livingstone, London. 2008; 440-441.
- Hansan T. Variations of the sternocleidomastoid a literature review. Internet J Human Anatomy. 2011; 1(1).
- Vasanth Kumar, Bincy M. George. A rare variation in the origin and insertion of sternocleidomastoid muscle – a case report. International Journal of Anatomical Variations: 2014;7:17-18.
- Coskun N, Yildirim FB, Ozkan O. Multiple muscular variations in the neck region – case study. Folia Morphol (Warsz): 2002; 61: 317–319.
- Ramesh RT, Vishnumaya G, Prakashchandra SK, Suresh R. Variation in the origin of sternocleidomastoid muscle. A case report. Int J Morphol: 2007;25:621-623.
- Seema Prakash, Ojha P, Gupta G.Bilateral additional head of sternocleidomastoid muscle – A case report. Int J Cur Res Rev: 2013; 5: 62-63.
- Cherian SB, Nayak S .A rare case of unilateral third head of sternocleidomastoid muscle. Int. J. Morphology: 2008;26(1):99-101.
- Fazliogullare Z, Cicekcibasi AE, Dogan NU, Yilmaz Mt, Buyukmumcu M, Ziylan T.The levator claviculae muscle and unilateral third head of sternocleidomastoid muscle: Case report. Int. J. Morphology: 2010;28(3):929-932.
- Natsis K, Asouchidou I, Vasileiou M, Papathanasiou E, Noussios G, Parakevas G. A rare case bilateral supernumerary heads of sternocleidomastoid muscle and its clinical impact. Int. J. Morphology: 2007;25:621-23.
- Nayak SR, Krishnamurthy A, SJMK , Pai MM, Prabhu LV, Jetti R. A rare case of bilateral sternocleidomastoid muscle variation Morphologie: 2006;295:203-4.
- Kaur D, Jain M, Shukla L.Six heads of origin of sternocleidomastoid muscle: a rare case. Internet Journal Of Medical Update;2013 July;8(2):62-64.
- Marino PL, The ICU Book. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, New York: 2007; 119-121.
- Botha AR, Van Schoor AN, Boon JM, et al. Anatomical consideration of the anterior approach for central venous cather placement, Clin Anat: 2006; 19(2):101-5.
- Hamoir M, Desuter G, Gregoire V, et al. A proposal for redefining the boundaries of level V necessary in mucosal squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck? Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg: 2002; 128: 1381-1383.
- Archana Rani, Ajay Kumar S,Anitha Rani,Jyothi C. Third head of sternocleidomastoid muscle. International journal of anatomical variation: 2011; 4:204-206.
- Amit Saxena, Atulya Prasad, Kuldip Sood. Unilateral four heads of sternocleidomastoid muscle: Eur J anat. 2013; 17(3): 186-189.
Sriambika K, Nutan Nalini Bage, V.K. Nim. FOUR HEADS OF STERNOCLEIDOMASTOID: A CASE REPORT. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(4):1697-1699. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.319