Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 4 | Page No. 1689-1696
Date of Publication: 31-12-2015
STUDY OF NASAL INDEX AMONG STUDENTS OF TERTIARY MEDICAL CARE INSTITUTE IN SOUTHERN INDIA
Sujatha. M * 1, V. Subhadra Devi 2, C. S. S. Raju 3, B. Yugandhar 4, Nagaraju 5.
*1 Ph.D. Scholar, Department of Anatomy, S.V.Medical College, Tirupati, Andrha Pradesh, India.
2 Professor & Head, Department of Anatomy, SVIMS - Sri Padmavathi Medical College for women, Tirupati, Andrha Pradesh, India.
3 Consultant Cardiologist, Sri Bollineni Super Speciality Hospital, Nellore, Andrha Pradesh, India.
4 Consultant Cardiologist in Sri Venkata Sai Hrudayalaya, Tirupati Andrha Pradesh, India.
5 Consultant Cardiologist in DBR&SK Hospital, Tirupati, Andrha Pradesh, India.
Address: Mrs. Sujatha Manupati, Ph.D. Scholar, Department of Anatomy, Sri Venkateswara Medical College, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh. India. Mobile No; +919246943011
Introduction: The segment of epicardial coronary artery that traverses intramurally through the myocardium and bridged by a bunch of cardiac muscle fibers is called tunneled artery or intramural artery. The band of cardiac muscle fibers passing over the tunneled artery segment is named as myocardial bridge. During angiography milking effect is observed during systole due to the external pressure of muscle fibers on the tunneled artery that leads to narrowing of vessel lumen and further ischemia.
Materials & Methods: It is a prospective study performed from 2012- 2015 in cardiac centers available around Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, South India. A total number of 2015 adult patients who underwent diagnostic coronary angiography were evaluated to detect myocardial bridges. With the informed consent the relevant data was collected from the patients and analyzed.
Results: The prevalence of myocardial bridges was 3.17%. Among the 2015 patients 70.7% are males and 29.2% are females. Among 64 myocardial bridge positive cases 62.5% were male and 37.5% were female patients. Regarding coronary dominance 84% were right dominant and 14.4% were left dominant and 1.6% are balanced. The percentage incidence of myocardial bridging according to dominance was 3.01% for right dominant patients, 4.12% for left dominant patients and 3.1% for balanced dominant patients. In all the myocardial bridge positive cases they were located on the left anterior descending artery (LAD). According to diagnosis the patients with normal coronaries were 22.6%, patients with MILD CAD were 17.9%, patients with single vessel disease were 23.4%, patients with two vessel disease were 14.7% and the patients with triple vessel disease were 21.3%. The 64 myocardial bridging cases were grouped in to three groups according to their age. Incidence of double bridges was observed in 3 cases of which 66.7% males & 33.3% in females.
Conclusion: These results show that Andhra Pradesh population are with high angiographic incidence of myocardial bridges (MB's), when compared with other population in India. We observed more lengthy bridges which may cause luminal reduction of coronary vessel and myocardial ischemia (MI), we also observed higher incidence of MB’s in male patients but systolic luminal reduction is more in female patients then in males. These observations suggest that the risk of MI will be more for the female patients with MB’s.
KEY WORDS: Angiogram, Myocardial bridge (MB), Milking effect, Left anterior descending (LAD).
- Reyman HC. Disertatio de vasis cordis propriis. Med Diss Univ Göttingen. 7th Sept 1737; 1–32.
- Geiringer E. The mural coronary. Am Heart J 1951;41:359-68.
- Portmann WC Iwig J. Intramural coronary vessels in the angiogram. Fortschr Rontgenstr,1960;92:129-133.[PubMed].
- JuilliereY, Berder V, Suty-Selton C, Buffet P, Danchin N, Cherrier F. Isolated myocardial bridges with angiographic milking of the left anterior descending coronary artery: a long term follow up study. Am Heart J 1995:129(4):663-665.
- Rossi.L, Danber.B, Nadasio.GP, Arbustini.F, ParisB, C.Vassanelli, C.Bounanno, A.Poppi. Myocardial bridges and ischemic heart disease. Eur Heart J 1980; 1(4): 239-245.
- Kramer JR, Kitazume H, Proudfit WL, Sones FM. Clinical significance of isolated coronary bridges and frequent condition involving the left anterior descending artery. Am Heart J 1982;103(2):283-288.
- Rajendra Prasad VK, Joseph T.John, Supriya NK. Occurrence and Anatomical Distribution of Myocardial Bridges and Co-relation with Sudden Death and Coronary Atherosclerosis. International journal of Recent Trends in science and Technology 2013 ;8(3): 238-239.
- Loukas M, Curry B, Bowers M, Louis RG, Bartczak A, Kiedrowski M, Kamionek M, Fudalej M, Wagner T. The relationship of myocardial bridges to the coronary artery dominance in the adult human hearts. J Anat 2006;209(1): 43-50.
- H.Saidi, WK Ongeti, and J Ogengo. Morphology of human myocardial bridges and coronary artery disease. Afr health sci,2010;10(3):242-247
- Luis Ernesto Ballesteros Acuna ,Luis Miguel Ramirez, Saldarriaga Bladimir Tellez et al. Myocardial description and clinical implication of myocardial bridges: an anatomical study in Colombians. Arq. Bras.Cardiol 2009;92(4):242-248.
- Bandyopadhyay M, Piyali Das, Karabi Baral, Puronjoy Chakroborty. Morphological study of myocardial bridges on the coronary arteries. Indian Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2010;26(3): 193-197.
- Adam Kosinski, Marek Grzybiak. Myocardial bridges in the human heart: Morphological aspect. Folia Morphol 2001;60(1): 65-68.
- Chandra sekhar KT & and Harsha BR. A cadaveric study on Muscle Bridges in human hearts. IJAPB 2015.2(3):1-6.
- Ishii T, Hosoda Y. The significance of myocardial bridge upon atherosclerosis in the left anterior descending coronary artery. J Path 1986;148:279-291.[PubMed].
- Laifer LI, Weiner BH. Percutaneous trans luminal coronary angioplasty of a coronary artery stenosis at the site of myocardial bridging. Cardiology 1991;79:245-248.[PubMed].
- Kuhn FE, Rgan K. Mohler ER, III. Satler LF, Lu Dy. Rackley CE. Evidence for endothelial dysfunction and enhanced vasoconstrution in myocardial bridges. Am Heart J 1991;122:1764-1766.[PubMed].
- Baptista CA, Didio LJ. The relationship between the directions of myocardial bridges and of the branches of the coronary arteries in the human heart. Surg Radiol Anat 1922;14:137-140.[PubMed].
- Arjomand H, Alsalman J, Azian J, Admin D. Myocardial bridging of left circumflex coronary artery associated with acute myocardial infarction. J Invasive Cardiol 2000;12:431-4.
- Angellini P,Leachman R, Autrey A. Atypical phasic coronary artery narrowing. Cathet Cardiovasc Diagn 1986;12:39-43.
- Garg S, Brodison A, Chauhan A. Occlusive systolic bridging of circumflex artery. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2000;51:477-8.
- Robert G, Irvin, MD. The Angiographic Prevelence of Myocardial bridging in Man. Chest 1982;81(2):198-202.
- Harikrishnan S, Sunder KR, Tharakan J, Titus T, Bhat A, Sivasankaran S, Bimal F. Clinical and angiographic profile and follow-up of myocardial bridges: a study of 21 cases. Indian Heart J 1999;51(5):503-7.
- Ozlem SORAN, Gulgun PAMIR, Cetin EROL, Cavit KOCAKAVAK and Irfan SABAH. The Incidence and Significance of Myocardial Bridge in a Prospectively Defined Population of Patients Undergoing Coronary Angiogram for Chest Pain. Tokai J Exp Clin Med 2000; 25(2):57-60.
- Inigo Lozano , Jose A. Baz , Ramon Lopez Palop, Eduardo Pinar, Francisso Pico, Mariano Valdes, Mariano Larman and Jose L. Martinez Ubago. Long term Prognosis of Patients with Myocardial Bridge and Angiographic Milking of the Left Anterior Descending Coronary Artery. Rev Esp Cardiol 2002;55(4):359-64.
- Teragawa, Fukuda Y, Matsuda K, Hidekazu Hirao, Yukohito Higashi, Togo Yamagata,Tetsuya Oshima, Hideo Matsuura, Kazuaki Chiyama. Myocardial bridging Increases the Risk of Coronary Spasm. Clin Cardiol 2003;26:377-83.
- Cays S, Sezgin O, Gokhan Cihan, Halial L, Kisacik, Sute Korkmaz. Angiographic prevalence of myocardial bridging. Anadolu Kardiyol Derg 2006; 6:9-12.
- Ayfer Mavi, Alper Sercelik, Resat Ayalp, Zarema Karben, Talantbek Batyraliev, Erdem Gumusburun. The Angiographic Aspects of Myocardial Bridges in Turkish Patients Who have Undergone Coronary Angiogram. Ann Acad Med Singapore 2008;37:49-53.
- LI JJ, Shang ZL, Yao M, LI J, Yang YJ, Chen JL, Qiao SB, Ma WH, Qin XW, Liu HB, Wu YJ, Yuan JQ, Chen J, You SJ, Dai J, Xu B, Xia R and Gao RL. Angiographic prevalence of myocardial bridging in a defined very large number of Chinese patients with chest pain. Chinese Medical Journal 2008;121(5): 405-408.
- R.Javadrashid, M.K. Tarzamni, N.Aslanabadi, M. Ghaffair, A.Sorteji. Myocardial bridging and coronary artery anomalies detected by ECG-gated 64-roe multidetector computed tomography angiography in symptomatic patients. Folia Morphol 2009;68(4):201-206.
- QIAN Ju-ying, ZHANG Feng, DONG Min, MA Jian – ying, GE Lei, LIU Xue-bo, FAN Bing, WANG Qi-bing, CUI Shan-jing and GE Jun-bo. Prevalence and characterestics of myocardial bridging in coronary angiogram – data from consecutive 5525 patients. Chin Med J 2009;122(6):632-635.
- Abhilash S P, Krishna kumar B, Praveen Velappan, Prabhanini Gupata, Sunitha Viswanathan, A.Geoege Koshy. Myocardial bridging. clinical and angiographic profile in last 5 years; a study of 129 cases. Kerala heart journal Nov.2010:9-13.
- En – sen Ma, Guo- lin Ma, Hong –wei Yu, Wang Wu, and Kefeng Li. Assessment of myocardial bridge and Mural Coronary Artery Using ECG- Gated 256- Slice CT Angiography: A Retrospective Study. The scientific world journals 2013. Article ID 947876.:1-6.
- Jothi SD.R.S, Hemanth Kumar K, Rajeswara Rao N, Jacintha Antony, Sai Sucheethra, SreeLekha D. Myocardial Bridges Over Interventricular Branches Of Coronary Arteries. Jour of Med. S & tech 2012;1(1):26-29.
Sujatha. M, V. Subhadra Devi, C. S. S. Raju, B. Yugandhar, Nagaraju. ANGIOGRAPHIC ASPECTS OF MYOCARDIAL BRIDGES. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(4):1689-1696. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.318