Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 4 | Page No. 1675-1679
Date of Publication: 31-12-2015
STUDY OF NASAL INDEX AMONG STUDENTS OF TERTIARY MEDICAL CARE INSTITUTE IN SOUTHERN INDIA
Asharani S K * 1, Tejaswi Hiremarali Lokanathan 2, Rajendra R 3, Surendra M 4.
*1 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, B G Nagar, Karnataka, India.
2 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, B G Nagar, Karnataka, India.
3 Professor & HOD, Department of Anatomy, Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, B G Nagar, Karnataka, India.
4 Professor, Department of Anatomy, Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, B G Nagar, Karnataka, India.
Address: Dr. Asharani S K, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy,Adichunchanagiri Institute of Medical Sciences, B G Nagar, Nagamangala (taluk),Mandya (district) – 571448, Karnataka, India. Mobile no.: +919480304208
Background: India is an ancient country having a diverse population group of various races, ethnic groups and tribes living in different climatic conditions. Nasal index is an ethnic sensitive anthropometric index which is used to classify race and sex of an individual.
Aim: To study the Nasal index by using nasal parameters like Nasal height and Nasal width among students of South India and North India.
Materials and Method: The study was done on medical students (male and female) aged between 18-23yrs of age after obtaining the necessary consent. Nasal height and nasal width were measured with the aid of sliding caliper. On the basis of nasal height and nasal width, nasal index was calculated and the data was analyzed statistically.
Results: The present study revealed that majority of the Indian population (both South India and North India) belong to mesorrhinae type of nasal form followed by platyrrhinae and leptorrhinae.
Conclusion: The majority of the Indian population belongs to mesorrhinae type of nasal form. The particular data will be of importance in forensic science, anthropology and rhinoplasty.
KEY WORDS: Anthropometry, Nasal Index, South India, North India.
- Karambelkar RR, Shewane AD, Karambelkar RA, Umarji BN. Comparision of nasal morphology between Southern and Northern India. Anatomica Karnataka 2013;7(1):26-30.
- Madison G. The passing of the great race past 1 language and nationality 2004, chapter 2;2-4.
- Lenog SC, Eccles R. A systematic review of Nasal Index and the significance of the shape and size of the nose in rhinology. Clin Otolaryngol 2009;34(3):191-8.
- Last RJ. Anatomy Applied and regional 6th edition. Churchill Livingstone 1981:398-403.
- Hall RL, Hall DA. Geographic variation of native people along the pacific coast. Human biology 1995:407-25.
- Gangrade PR, Babel Hitesh. Anthropometric study of the nasal index of the Bheel – Meena tribe of Southern Rajasthan. International journal of current research and review 2012;04(19):88-90.
- Gray H. Inner ear. In: Standring S. Gray’s Anatomy. The Anatomical basis of clinical practice. 40th edition. London: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier, 2008;633-50.
- Kaushal S, Patnaik VVG, Kaur P. Somatometric analysis of nasal morphology of Punjab. Human Biology Review 2013;2(1):1-11.
- Otobo T, Otobo RT. The clinical Significance of Nasal Index in Ethno-Racial specific rhinoplasty. The FASEB Journal 2015;29(1):697.
- Hegazy AA . Anthropometric Study of Nasal Index of Egyptians. International Journal of Anatomy and Research 2014;2(4):761-7.
- Staka G, Dragidella F, Disha M. Anthropometric Study of Nasal Index of the Kosovo Albanian population. Antrocom Online Journal of Anthropology 2012;8:457-62.
- Patil GV, Shishirkumar, Apoorva D, Thejeshwari, Shariff J, Sheshgiri C, Sushanth NK. Study of nasal index in South Indian population. International Journal of current research 2014:6(8);8163-4.
- Rajlakshmi C. Nasal Index and age estimation from nasal dimensions of Manipuri fetuses. Journal of Medical Society 2012;26(3):156-8.
- Wai MM, Thwin SS, Yesmin T, Ahmad A, Adnan AS, Hassan AA, et al. Nasofacial Anthropometric Study among University Students of Three Races in Malaysia. Advances in Anatomy 2015;1-5.
- Anibor E, Etetafia MO, Eboh DEO, Akpobasaha O. Anthropometric study of nasal parameters of the Isokos in Delta state of Nigeria. Annals of Biological Research 2011;2(6):408-13.
- Jimoh RO, Alabi SB, Kayode AS, Salihu AM, Ogidi OD. Rhinometry: Spectrum of nasal profile among Nigerian Africans. Braz J Otorhinolaryngol 2011;77(5):589-93.
- Oladipo GS, Olabiyi AO, Oremosu AA, Noronha CC. Nasal indices among major ethnic groups in Southern Nigeria. Scientific Research and Essay 2007;2(1):20-2.
Asharani S K, Tejaswi Hiremarali Lokanathan, Rajendra R, Surendra M. STUDY OF NASAL INDEX AMONG STUDENTS OF TERTIARY MEDICAL CARE INSTITUTE IN SOUTHERN INDIA. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(4):1675-1679. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.314