Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 4 | Page No. 1660-1664
Date of Publication: 31-12-2015
INTRA HEPATIC PATTERN OF PORTAL VEIN IN DOG'S LIVER: A CORROSION CAST STUDY
Shikha Sharma * 1, Tejendra Singh 2, Ekramuddin 3, Bhawani Shankar Modi 4.
*1 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, FH Medical College, Tundla, India.
2 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, FH Medical College, Tundla, India.
3 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, FH Medical College, Tundla, India.
4 Tutor, Department of Anatomy, FH Medical College, Tundla, India.
Address: Dr. Shikha Sharma, FH Medical College, Anatomy Department, Near Etmadpur, Railway over Bridge, NH-2, Tundla Dist., Firozabad, Uttar Pradesh 283201, India.
Introduction: The variations in the intrahepatic pattern of portal vein within liver are mandatory factors while dealing with hepatic surgery. The variations in the intrahepatic portal vein branching need to be recognized when contemplating for ligation of the vessel at the porta hepatis during partial hepatectomy.
Materials and Methods: This study was done in 50 dogs liver specimen by corrosion cast technique.
Results and Discussion: In this study in the entire cases bifurcation pattern was found and in all the cases left branch of portal vein extended transversly to the left and turned in the caudolateral direction and divided into transverse portion and oblique portion and right divided into superior and inferior branch. In 88% cases caudate process received branch from the right portal trunk while the papillary process received branch from the left portal trunk.
Conclusion: The knowledge of the portal vein and its intrahepatic branching is important to ensure surgical success pertaining to different surgical procedures.
KEY WORDS: Bifurcation, Hepatic Vein, Caudate Lobe, Portahepatis, Quadrate Lobe.
- Lee McGregor’s: synopsis of surgical anatomy 12th edition (1986) pp-81.
- Henry Gray: Gray’s Anatomy 36th edition (1984) pp-736.
- Rex, Hugo. Beitrage Zur Morphologie der Saugerleber. Morph.Jahrb. 1880;14: 517-616.
- Elias H. and Petty D. Gross anatomy of the blood vessels and ducts within the human liver Am.J.Anat 1952;90:59-109.
- Healy.J.E.Jr. Clinical anatomic aspects of radical hepatic surgery. Journal of the international college of surgeon 1954;22(5);542-550.
- Yamada H. and Nakamura Y. Study of hepatic surgery in dogs. Journal of the Japan Veterinary Medical Association. 1969;22:341-246.
- Gupta C.D. and Gupta S.C. Intrahepatic pattern of the biliary ducts and their major variations. Indian J Med Res 1977;63:1130.
- Elias H: and Popper. H. Venous distribution liver A.M.A archieves path. 1955;59: 332-340.
- Hjortsjo C-H. Die Anatomic der Interaheptischen Gallengange beim Menschen;Mittles Rontgen-und Injection Technik stadiert lunds Univ.Arssk N.F.Ard. 1948;2(52):1-30.
- Sleight D.R. and Thomford N.R. Gross anatomy and blood supply of canine liver. Anat., Rec. 1970;166:153-154.
Shikha Sharma, Tejendra Singh, Ekramuddin, Bhawani Shankar Modi. INTRA HEPATIC PATTERN OF PORTAL VEIN IN DOG'S LIVER: A CORROSION CAST STUDY. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(4):1660-1664. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.308