Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 4 | Page No. 1515-1519
Date of Publication: 31-10-2015
STUDY OF ATD ANGLE AND FINGER RIDGE COUNT IN LEPROSY PATIENT OF BHAVNAGAR DISTRICT
Bharat J. Sarvaiya *1, Jagdish S. Chaudhari 2, S. M. Patel 3, S. V. Patel 4.
*1,2 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India.
3 Professor and Head, Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India.
4 Former Professor and Head, Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India.
Address: Dr. Bharat J. Sarvaiya, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, Government Medical College, Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India. Mobile No.: +919374284950.
Introduction: The ATD angle and finger ridge count, are palmar dermatoglyphics features of an individual. During the first & second trimester of pregnancy epidermal growth occur in stages and result in an increase epidermal thickness. Epidermal ridges begin to appear in embryos at 10th week and are permanently established by 17th weeks. The types of pattern develop in palm & soles are genetically determined. They are of considerable clinical interest because they affected by certain anomalies of early development including genetic disease.
Objective: There are certain genetic (Chromosomal), Non chromosomal & metabolic disease shows particular palmer dermatoglyphics features so in this study we were trying to find out the difference in dermatoglyphics features in leprosy patient and control group.
Materials and Methods: The sample consists of 100 cases of leprosy in age group of 18-60 year from Bhavnagar district. The finger print and palm print were taken by using ink & pad method and Compared with Control group of 18-60 years. The dermatoglyphics parameter like ATD angle, TFRC & AFRC were studied and evaluated for statistical significance.
Results and Conclusion: There was statistically significant difference was observed in ATD angle as compared with control. There was no statistically significant difference observed in TFRC & AFRC as compared with control. The dermatoglyphics features can be useful diagnostically to differentiate the leprosy patient and control group.
KEY WORDS: Dermatoglyphics, Leprosy, Genetic, finger ridge count, ATD angle.
- Moore Keith L, Persaud TVN; The developing human Clinical oriented embryology in the integumentary system 8th edn.Philadelphia, Pennsylvania: Saunder.2009, p440.
- Schaumann B, Alter M, Dermatoglyphics in medical disorder.1976;New York:Springer-Verlag:Berlin.p187-189.
- Ridley D, Jooling WH, Classification of leprosy according to immunity – a five group system. Int J Lepr.1966;34:255.
- Saha K, Agarwal SK,immune deficit in patient with leprosy , its nature and relation to genetic factor, sprectum and duration , Int J Lepr 1979;47(1):1-5.
- De Vries RRP, Fat RFMLA, Nijenhuis LE,Van RoodJJ,HLA-Linked genetic control of host responceto mycobacterium leprae, 1976;Lancet,2:1328-1330.
- Holt, SB. And Lindstain, J, Dermatoglyphics in Turner’s syndrome. Ann. Hum. Genet.1964;28:87.
- Manju D. Singhal, A.Gandotra. An early predictor in leprosy-The ATD Angle, J.Anat.Soc.India 2010;59(2):201-204.
- Bumb RA,Busar RP,Kothari A,Singhi MK,Jain , Dermatoglyphics in leprosy.indian j Lepr.1985;57(4):834-40.
- Gupta CM,Tutakne MA,Bhate RD, a A study of palmar ridge malformation in leprosy patient, indian j lepr.1986 oct-dec; 58(4):584-91.
- Ghei SK, Girdhar BK,Ramu G, Katoch K,Ramanathan U,Sengupta U,Desikan KV.Dermatoglyphics in leprosy( Metric analysis of palms).indian j Lepr.1985;57(4):826-833.
- Nagar KS, Laha NN, Sethi NC, Mehta RS, Palmar dermatoglyphics in leprosy.j.of Association of Physician of india 1981;29:841-847.
- Natekar PE, Desouza, FM, Digital Dermatoglyphics in leprosy. Anthropologist 2007;9(1):63-66.
- Harold Cummins & Charles Midlo. Palmer and plantar epidermal configuration (Dermatoglyphics) in European America, Am J Phys Anthropol, 1926;9:471-502.
- Harold Cummins & Charles Midlo. Finger print pattern, palms and soles. An introduction to dermatoglyphics, the balkiston Company, Philadelphia, 1943; p, 11-19.
- Sadler TW. Langman’s Medical Embryology in integumentary system.10th edn. Baltimore, Maryland, USA: Lippincott Williams& Wilkins.2006, p336.
- Holt SB, Charles C.Thomas, Springfield, The genetics of dermal ridges, 1968; p 40-42.
Bharat J. Sarvaiya, Jagdish S. Chaudhari, S. M. Patel, S. V. Patel. STUDY OF ATD ANGLE AND FINGER RIDGE COUNT IN LEPROSY PATIENT OF BHAVNAGAR DISTRICT. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(4):1515-1519. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.287