Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 4 | Page No. 1629-1634
Date of Publication: 31-12-2015
CADAVERIC STUDY OF VARIATIONS IN BRANCHING PATTERN OF SPLENIC ARTERY
D. Naga Jyothi *1, T. V. Ramani 2, S. Saritha 3, Gayathri. P 4, B. Sadananda Rao 5, Asra Anjum 6.
*1 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Anatomy, Kamineni Academy Of Medical Sciences And Research Centre (KAMS&RC), Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
2 Assistant Professor, Dept. of Anatomy, KAMS&RC, Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
3 Professor& HOD, Dept. of Anatomy, Kamineni Academy Of Medical Sciences And Research Centre (KAMS&RC), Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
4 Assistant professor, Dept. of Anatomy, Kamineni Academy Of Medical Sciences And Research Centre (KAMS&RC), Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
5 Associate professor, Dept. of Anatomy, Kamineni Academy Of Medical Sciences And Research Centre (KAMS&RC), Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
6 Lecturer, Dept. of Anatomy, Kamineni Academy Of Medical Sciences And Research Centre (KAMS&RC), Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
Address: D. Naga Jyothi, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Anatomy, Kamineni Academy Of Medical Sciences And Research Centre (KAMS&RC), Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
Introduction: Splenic artery was previously called as Lineal artery. Splenic artery is the largest branch of the celiac trunk and is the most tortuous artery in the body. Splenic artery mainly supplies spleen and gives off branches to the stomach and the pancreas. Splenic artery divides into terminal branches before entering into the hilum of the spleen which may be Magistral or Distributed type. Sometimes it may pass through the hilum without dividing and supplies the spleen.
Materials and methods: The study was done on 50 embalmed cadavers during routine dissection practices for undergraduates in the dissection hall of Gandhi Medical College, Secunderabad, and from the Department of Anatomy Osmania medical college, Hyderabad, during the period of 3years.The variations in the branching pattern of the splenic artery was observed and photographed. The prime objective of the study is to compare the prevalence of variations in the branching pattern of splenic artery.
Results and conclusion:
The variations in the present study were almost correlated with the available literature. In some instances the left gastro epiploic artery, the posterior gastric artery and the accessory left gastric artery took origin from the interior of spleen. so care should be taken during splenectomy. Hence, the arterial blood supply of spleen is so varied that no two vascular patterns are ever the same.
KEY WORDS: Splenic artery (SA), Short gastric artery (SGA), Left gastro epiploic artery (LGEA), Posterior gastric artery (PGA), Superior terminal artery (STA), Middle terminal artery (MTA), Inferior terminal artery (ITA), Superior polar artery (SPA), Inferior polar artery (IPA).
- Susan Standring, Neil R Borley and Jeremiah C Healy; Abdomen and Pelvis, Abdominal aorta. Gray’s Anatomy - The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice. 40th Ed. Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2008;1117-1193.
- Nicholas A. Michels. Blood Supply and Anatomy of the Upper Abdominal Organs. London: Pitman Medical Publishing Co., Ltd; 1955;10-27 and 201-235.
- A. K. Datta. Essentials of Human Anatomy (Thorax, Abdomen and Pelvis) 8th Ed. Current Books International; 2008:153-157.
- Ronald A Bergman, Adel K. Afifi, Ryosuke Miyauchi, peer review: Illustrated Encyclopedia of Human Anatomic Variation: Opus II: Cardiovascular system: Arteries: Abdomen. Variations in branches of celiac trunk.
- Pandey SK, Bhattacharya S, Mishra RN, Shukla VK. Anatomical variations of the splenic artery and its clinical implications. Clin Anat. 2004 sep;17(6):497-502.
- T. W. Sadler. Langman’s Medical Embryology. 8th Ed. Lippincott Williams and Wilkins; 2000:208.
- A. K. Datta. Essentials of Human Embryology. 5th Ed. Current Books International; 2007: 185-186,192-193.
- Seok Kil Zeon, Seon Goo Kim, Jung Ae Huyn, You-Sah Kim. Angiographic branching patterns of the splenic artery. International Journal of Angiology. 1998 Nov;7(1):57-61.
- Ndoye JM, Savadogo J, Ndiaye A, Mane L, Diop M, Ndiaye A, Dia A, Sow ML. The left gastro epiploic artery: a splenic origin but a variable birth place. Morphologie. 2008 Mar; 92(296):11-5.
- Kuniko Suzuki, M.S., Jose c. Prates, Liberato J. A. Didio. Incidence and Surgical Importance of the Posterior Gastric Artery. Ann Surg. 1978 Feb;187(2):134-136.
- Prashanth Nashiket Cheware, Swathi Milind Belsare, Yashwant Ramakrishna Kulkarni, Sudhir Vishnupant Pandit, Jaideo Manohar Ughade. Variational anatomy of segmental branches of splenic artery. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic research. 2012 May; 6(3): 336-338.
D. Naga Jyothi, T. V. Ramani, S. Saritha, Gayathri. P, B. Sadananda Rao, Asra Anjum. CADAVERIC STUDY OF VARIATIONS IN BRANCHING PATTERN OF SPLENIC ARTERY. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(4):1629-1634. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.284