Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 4 | Page No. 1497-1504
Date of Publication: 31-10-2015
EFFECT OF POSTNATAL EXPOSURE TO N-NITROSODIETHYLAMINE ON THE MYENTERIC PLEXUS OF RAT
A. K. Shreevastava *1, A. Shariff 2, T. C. Nag 3, M. Srinivas 4.
*1 Lecturer, Department of Anatomy, Shaikh-Ul-Hind Maulana Mahmood Hasan Medical College, Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India.
2,3,4 Professor, Department of Anatomy, All India Institute Of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India.
Address: Dr. A.K Shreevastava, Lecturer, Department of Anatomy, Shaikh-Ul-Hind Maulana Mahmood Hasan Medical College, Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh, India.
Background: Humans are continuously exposed to the different types of nitrosamines found in the diet, drinking water, tobacco smoking, and work place. These are the potential source of exposure in the present population. Nitrosamines are found mainly in cured meat products, smoked preserved foods, beer, whiskey, pickled and salty preserved food materials. Nitrosamines have cytotoxic, carcinogenic and mutagenic properties. Nitrosamines exert toxic or mutagenic effects by promoting DNA damage, oxidative stress and reactive oxygen species formation that causes increased lipid peroxidation, adduct formation, and pro-inflammatory cytokine activation. Increased chronic exposure of low doses of nitrosamines is unavoidable in current environmental conditions. Important nitrosamines are N-Nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA), N-Nitrosodimethylamine (NDMA), N-Nitrosomorpholine (NMOR), N-Nitrosopyrrolidine (NPYR) etc. The nitrosamine explored in this study is N-Nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA), representing environmentally significant nitrosamine.
Aim: To study the effect of postnatal exposure to N- Nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA) on the myenteric plexus of wistar rat.
Materials and Methods: The present study was conducted on pups of wistar rats, (Rattus norvergicus). Six pregnant wistar rats having same pregnancy time were taken. After delivery sixteen pups were chosen randomly. The control and the experimental groups had eight pups each. Sterile water and NDEA were given as 0.2mg/kg intraperitonea daily to the control and the experimental groups of rat pups respectively, from postnatal day 1 to postnatal day 20. All the rat pups were sacrificed on postnatal day 21 to obtain the tissues of the gastrointestinal tract.
Results: A significant reduction of morphometric parameters such as the area, the perimeter and the ferret diameter of the perikaryon of the myenteric neurons of the experimental group found .The number of the myenteric neurons per unit area of muscularis externa was also significantly reduced in the NDEA treated wistar rat pups.
Conclusions: Chronic low-level exposure of N-Nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA) caused significant effect on the histoarchitecture of myenteric plexus of wistar rats.]
KEY WORDS: N-Nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA), Enteric Nervous System, Myenteric Plexus, NADPH-Diaphorase, Wistar Rat.
- Tong M, Neusner A, Longato L, Lawton M, Wands JR and de la Monte SM. Nitrosamine Exposure Causes Insulin Resistance Diseases: Relevance to Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis, and Alzheimer’s Disease. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease. 2009;17(4):827-844.
- N-Nitrosodiethylamine (NDEA). Hazardous Substances Data Bank. 2009. National Library of Medicine. http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?HSDB and search on CAS number: 55-18-5.
- De la Monte SM, Tong M, Lawton M and Longato L. Nitrosamine exposure exacerbates high fat diet-mediated type 2diabetes mellitus, non-alcoholic steatohepatitis, and neurodegeneration with cognitive impairment. Molecular Neurodegeneration. 2009;4:54.
- Lijinsky W, Reuber MD and Riggs CW. Dose response studies of carcinogenesis in rats by nitrosodiethylamine. Cancer Research. 1981;41(12 Pt 1):4997-5003.
- Scherer-Singler U, Vincent SR, Kimura H, McGeer EG. Demonstration of a unique population of neurons with NADPH-diaphorase histochemistry. J Neurosci Methods.1983;9:229-234.
- Jakszyn P and González C A. Nitrosamine and related food intake and gastric and oesophageal cancer risk: A systematic review of the epidemiological evidence. World Journal of Gastroenterology. 2006;12(27):4296-4303.
- Rostkowska K, Zwierz K, Różański A, Moniuszko-Jakoniuk J and Roszczenko A. Formation and Metabolism of N-Nitrosamines. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies. 1998;7(6):321-325.
A. K. Shreevastava, A. Shariff, T. C. Nag, M. Srinivas. EFFECT OF POSTNATAL EXPOSURE TO N-NITROSODIETHYLAMINE ON THE MYENTERIC PLEXUS OF RAT. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(4):1497-1504. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.277