Type of Article: Case Report
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 4 | Page No. 1548-1550
Date of Publication: 30-11-2015
REPORTING OF AN ANATOMICAL VARIATION FOR ANTERIOR JUGULAR VEIN
Ahmad Tamjidipoor 1, Seyyed Amir Yasin Ahmadi *2.
1 Department of Anatomy, Lorestan University of Medical Sciences, Khorramabad, Iran.
*2 Student Research Committee, Lorestan University of Medical Sciences, Khorramabad, Iran.
Address: Seyyed Amir Yasin Ahmadi. Student Research Committee, Lorestan University of Medical Sciences, Khorramabad, Iran. Tel: +989392838309.
Being acquainted with anatomical variations is a sine qua non for surgeons. Since there were a few findings about Anterior Jugular Vein (AJV) that most of them were about its aneurism than of the about its anatomical variations we intend to report one of its variations. AJV is a superficial vein in head and neck anatomy which is paired (left and right), that seems U-shaped. In this case which was a male cadaver AJV is single and only has one branch parallel to mid-line instead of being paired. There is no Jugular arch in this case.
KEY WORDS: Anterior Jugular Vein, Anatomical Variations, Case Report, Cardinal Vein, Head and Neck Anatomy.
- Keen JA. study of the arterial variations in the limbs, with special reference to symmetry of vascular patterns. American journal of anatomy 1961;108(3):245-261.
- Rodriguez-Niedenfuhr M, et al. Arterial patterns of the human upper limb: update of anatomical variations and embryological development. European Journal of anatomy 2003;7:21-28.
- Jayakumari S, Gayatri R, Jyoti A. Unilateral double axillary and double brachial arteries. Embryological basis and clinical implications. Int J Morphol 2006;24(3):463-468.
- Rodríguez-Niedenführ M, et al. Development of the arterial pattern in the upper limb of staged human embryos: normal development and anatomic variations. Journal of anatomy 2001;199(04):407-417.
- Senanayake KJ, et al. A rare variant of the superficial ulnar artery, and its clinical implications: a case report. Journal of medical case reports 2007;1(1):128.
- Venkateshwarlu AA, Manoj MK, Kiran P. Unilateral presenece of superficial ulner artery: A case report. International Journal of Medical Science and Public Health 2013;2(3):775-777.
- Schummer W, et al. The anterior jugular venous system: variability and clinical impact. Anesthesia & Analgesia 2004;99(6):1625-1629.
- Sadler, TW. Longman’s Medical embryology. 12th edition. Lippincott Williams & Wikins 2012; chapter 13.
- Nayak BS. Surgically important variations of the jugular veins. Clinical Anatomy 2006; 19(6):544-546.
Ahmad Tamjidipoor, Seyyed Amir Yasin Ahmadi. REPORTING OF AN ANATOMICAL VARIATION FOR ANTERIOR JUGULAR VEIN. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(4):1548-1550. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.276