Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 4 | Page No. 1491-1496
Date of Publication: 31-10-2015
AN ANATOMICAL STUDY OF ADULT SACRUM WITH ITS EMPHASIS ON ITS SEXUAL DIMORPHISM IN SOUTH INDIAN POPULATION
Somesh M.S. *1, Sridevi H.B 2, Murlimanju B.V 3.
*1 Associate Professor, Srinivas Institute of Medical Sciences & Research Centre (SIMS &RC), Mangalore, Srinivas University, India.
2 Assistant Professor, Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Mangalore, Manipal University, India.
3 Associate Professor, Kasturba Medical College (KMC), Mangalore, Manipal University, India .
Address: Dr. Somesh M.S., Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy
Srinivas Institute of Medical Science & Research Centre (SIMS&RC), Srinivas University, Surathkal, Mangalore – 574146, Karnataka, India. Phone: +919686924032
Aim: To study the various morphometric parameters of the dry sacra of unknown sex in South Indian population in detail and to determine their demarcating points in order to increase the efficiency of sexing in the given population.
Methods: 87 dry adult human sacrum of known sex (42 males and 45 females), belonging to South Indian (Karnataka) region were obtained. Various parameters like Length (L), breadths (B), Transverse diameter of the body of the 1st sacral vertebrae (TS1) & Curved Length of Sacrum (CL) were obtained. From these parameters, Sacral Index (SI), Curvature Index (CI) and Corporo-basal Index (CBI) were calculated & from the obtained values demarking points (D.P) were calculated. The values were stastically analyzed.
Results: Among these parameters, the values for the Length (L), Curved Length (CL) and Sacral Index (SI) were stastically significant
Conclusion: Length (L), Curved Length (CL) and Sacral Index (SI) were useful parameters and by obtaining their demarking points, it helps in sexing the sacrum with greater accuracy.
KEY WORDS: Sacrum, Sexing, Morphometry, Sacral Index, Karnataka.
- Stewart TD. Measurement of Bones in: Hrdlicka’s Practical Anthropometry: 4th edition. The Wistar Institute of Anatomy & Biology, Philadelphia. 1952. Pp1- 172
- Krogmann W.M. In the Human Skeleton in Forensic Medicine. Thomas Springfield (Ellinois);1962.Pp 21-467
- Patel MM, Gupta BD & Singel TC. Sexing of Sacrum by Sacral Index& Kumra’s Base- Wing index. J Ind Acad Foren Med. 2005;27(1):5-9.
- Singh H, Singh J and Bargotra RN. Sacral index as observed anthropometrically in the region of Jammu. Journal of Anatomical Society of India. 1988; 37: pp 1-13
- Ravichandran D, Shanthi K.C., Shankar K., Harinath Chandra. A Study on Sacral Index in Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh Population of Southern India. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2013;7(9):1833-1834.
- Wilder HH. A laboratory manual of anthropometry. P. Blakistons sons & Co, Philadelphia; 1920;118-193.
- Maddikunta V, Ravinder M. Morphometric study of sacrum in sex determination in Telangana region people. Int J Res Med Sci. 2014; 2: 164-174.
- Jit I and Singh S. Sexing of the adult clavicle. Indian Journal of Medical Research. 1966;54:551-571.
- Raju P B, Singh S, Padamnabhan R, Sex determination and sacrum. Journal of Anatomical Society of India. 1981;30:13-15.
- Mishra SR, Singh PJ, Agrawal AK, Gupta RN. Identification of sex of sacrum of Agra region. J Anat Soc Ind. 2003; 52(3): 132– 136.
- Kanika S, Rajan KS, Gurdeep K, Gaurav S. Role of sacrum in sexual dimorphism – A morphometric study. J Indian Acad Forensic Med. 2011;33(3):206–210.
- Shailendra P, Manish N, Pradeep M, Chandra SW. A Study of Sacral Index and Its Interpretation in Sex Determination in Madhya Pradesh. J Indian Acad Forensic Med. 2014;36(2);146-149.
- Jyothinath K, Subhadradevi V, Varalakshmi D, Roshan Z. Morphometric study of sexual dimorphism in adult sacra of South Indian population. Int J Biol Med Res. 2012; 3(3): 2076-2081.
- Singh SP, Singh S. Identification of sex from the humerus. Ind J Med Res. 1972;60:37.
- A K Arora, Pankaj Gupta, Shashi Mahajan & Sonney S K. Significance of sacral index in estimation of sex in sacra of cadavers in Punjab. J Indian Acad Forensic Med.2010;32 (2):104–07.
- Mamatha H, Sandhya , Sushma RK, Suhani S, Naveen Kumar. Significance of various sacral measurements in the determination of sex in South Indian population. Int J Cur Res Rev. 2012;4(20):112-118.
Somesh M.S., Sridevi H.B, Murlimanju B.V. AN ANATOMICAL STUDY OF ADULT SACRUM WITH ITS EMPHASIS ON ITS SEXUAL DIMORPHISM IN SOUTH INDIAN POPULATION. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(4):1491-1496. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.273