Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 4 | Page No. 1487-1490
Date of Publication: 31-10-2015
ANTHROPOMETRIC MEASUREMENTS OF INFRAORBITAL FORAMEN AND ITS ANATOMIC VARIATIONS IN DRIED HUMAN SKULLS
Shikha Sharma *1, Anil Sharma 2, Chetna Thakur 3, Bhawani Shankar Modi 4.
*1 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, FH Medical College, Tundla, India.
2 Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, FH Medical College, Tundla, India.
3 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, FH Medical College, Tundla, India.
4 Tutor, Department of Anatomy, FH Medical College, Tundla, India.
Address: Dr. Shikha Sharma, FH Medical College, Anatomy Department, Near Etmadpur, Railway over Bridge, NH-2, Tundla Dist., Firozabad, Uttar Pradesh 283201, India.
Aim: This study was to determine the distance between IOF and IOM, IOF and pyriform aperture,the presence of accessory foraminae, orientation and location in relation with teeth on both the sides.
Materials and Methods: Fifty dried human skulls (100 sides) irrespective of age and sex were used for this study. The distance between the IOF and IOM and the distance between the IOF and pyriform aperture were measured by using manual vernier calliper. The orientation, location in relation with teeth and presence of accessory foramina were observed macroscopically.
Observations and Discussion: Accessory foramina may give complications during anaesthetization of this region. The mean distance between the IOF and infraorbital margin was 22.6mm and 15.2mm on the left and right side respectively. Mean distance between I.O.F and pyriform aperture was 26.2mm and 25.8mm on the left and right side respectively. In 30% skulls the IOF were directed vertically downward on the right side and in 38% on the left side. In 66% downward medially on the right side and 56% on the left side and in4% skulls medially on the right side and 6% on the left side. The majority of IOF were oriented to second premolar teeth on the right side and between second premolar and first molar on the left side.Accessory foraminae were found in 6% of skulls. The results of our study may be helpful during surgical procedures in the maxillary region in reduction of Lefort fracture, and giving regional nerve block.
KEY WORDS: Infraorbital foramen,Infraorbital margin, Pyriform aperture, Manual vernier calliper.
- Williams P.L., warwick R, M Bannister L.H. Gray’Anatomy. 37th ed, New Y ORK, Churchill Livingstone,1989.
- Gardner E, GRAY, D.J, O’Hailly R. Anatomia: estudo regional do corpo humano,4thed.Rio de ,janeiro Guanabara Koogan,1988.
- Mc Minn RMH. Pterygopalatine fossa. In, Sinnathamy CS, ED. Last’s ANATOMY,Regional and Applied.London;Churchill Livingstone,1990:451-67.
- Moore KL, Dalley AF. Nerves of the face, In: Moore KL, DALLEY AF,Eds. Clinically Oriented Anatomy,4thed.Philadelphia: Lippincot Williams&Wilkins,1999;832-993.
- Testut L, Latarjet, Tratado de anatomia humana.Barcelona, Salvat, 1954.
- Bergman R.A, Thompson S.A, Afifi A.K, Saddhe F.A. Compendium of Human Anatomic Variation; Catalog, Atlas and World Literature. Baltimore. Urban&Schwarzenberg,1988.
- Aziz S.R, Marchena J.M, Puran. Anatomic characteristics of the infraorbital foramen: A cadever study.J.Oral Maxillofac. Surg.2000;58:992-6.
- Hwang K and Baik SH. Surgical anatomy of Korean adults. Jouranal of Craniofacial Surgery 1999;10:129-34.
- Rontal E, Rontal M and Guilford FT. Surgical anatomy of the orbit. Annals of Otology 1979;88:382-6.
- Triandafillidi E, Anagnostopoulou S and Soumila M. The infraorbital foramen(the position of the infraorbital foramen in man).Odontostomatologike proodos. 1990;44:8791.
- Du Tolt D.F, Nortje C. The maxillae: Integrated and applied anatomy relevant to Dentistry. SADJ., 2003;58(8):325-30.
- Hollandshed, W.H. The head and neck., In; Anatomy for surgeon.Harper and Row,Philadelphia,1982.
- Figun, M.E, Garino, R.R Anatomia odontologica functional eplicada.Sao Paulo. Panamericana,1994.
- Chung M,Kim,J; Kang HS & Chung,I.H. Locational relationship of the supraorbital notch or foramen and infraorbital and mental foramina in Koreans.
- Zide BM., Swift R.How to block and tackle the face.Plast Reconstr Surg.1998;101:840-51.
- Gruber W. Ein hakenformiges Fortsatzchen uber und vor dem infraorbitalloche.Arc.Pathol.Anat.Physiol.Klin.Med., 1878;72:494-6.
- Bhoopati S, Chakravarthy Marx S, Dhalapathy S, Anupa S.Anthropometric analysis of the infraorbital foramen in a South Indian population. Singapore medj.2010;51(9):730.
- Kadanaff D, Mutafov ST and Jordanov J. Uber die Hauptoftnungen Resp.Incisurae des Gesichtsschadels. Morphologisches Jahrbuch 1970;115:102-108.
- Elias MG, Silva RB, Pimental ML. Morphometric analysis of the infraorbital foramen and accessories foraminas in Brasillian skulls. Int J Morphol.2004;22:273-8.
Shikha Sharma, Anil Sharma, Chetna Thakur, Bhawani Shankar Modi. ANTHROPOMETRIC MEASUREMENTS OF INFRAORBITAL FORAMEN AND ITS ANATOMIC VARIATIONS IN DRIED HUMAN SKULLS. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(4):1487-1490. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.272