Type of Article : Case Study
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 4 | Page No. 1476-1480
Date of Publication: 31-10-2015
MULTIPLE MORPHOLOGICAL VARIATIONS IN THE THYROID GLAND: REPORT OF TWO CASES
Roopali D. Nikumbh *1, Dhiraj B. Nikumbh 2, Megha A. Doshi 3.
*1 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, JMF's ACPM Medical college, Dhule, Maharashtra, India.
2 Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, JMF's ACPM Medical college, Dhule, Maharashtra, India.
3 Professor and Head, Department of Anatomy, KIMS University, Karad, Maharashtra, India.
Address: Dr. Roopali D. Nikumbh M.D., Assistant Professor, Department Of Anatomy, Jmf's Acpm Medical College, Dhule. Maharashtra, India.
The variety of multiple morphological variations in the thyroid gland is found as a result of disturbed organogenesis in humans as agenesis, hypoplasia, accessory, ectopy and hemiagenesis.
In the routine undergraduate dissection of the thyroid gland, multiple anomalies of the thyroid gland were encountered in 50 and 60 years old female and male cadaver respectively. These were in form of absent isthmus with accessory thyroid lobe in between two lateral lobes, pyramidal lobe arising from left lobe of thyroid with levator glandulae thyroidae in first case. Second case showed narrow isthmus related to first tracheal ring and levator glandulae thyroidae arising from left lobe.
In these case studies, we highlight various developmental anomalies of the thyroid gland as absent isthmus, pyramidal lobe and accessory lobe with levator glandulae thyroidae. Hence a thorough knowledge of such morphological variations of thyroid gland helps the surgeons in better planning of safe, effective and uncomplicated operative procedures in resection of thyroid and tracheotomy procedures.
KEY WORDS: Thyroid gland, Pyramidal lobe, Isthmus, Accessory thyroid lobe, Levator glandulae thyroidae, Variations.
- Lokanadham S, Khaleel N, Naik S, Devi SV. Multiple morphological variations of fetal thyroid gland in south Indian population. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Sciences.2012;15(11):1-3.
- Dixit D, Shilpa MB, Harsh MP, Ravishankar MV. Agenesis of isthmus of thyroid gland in adult human cadavers. A case series. Cases Journal.2009;2:6640.
- Rajini PT, Ramchandran A, Savalgi GB, Venkata SP, Mokhasi V. Variations in the anatomy of the thyroid gland: Clinical implication of a cadaver study. Anatomical Science International.2011;10:1-7.
- Larochelle D, Archnd P, Belzile M, Gagnon NB. Ectopic thyroid tissue-a review of the literature. J Otolaryngol.1978;8:523-30.
- Mahebati A, Shala AR. Anatomy of thyroid and parathyroid glands and neurovascular relations. Clinical Anatomy.2012;25(1):19-23.
- Melnick JC, Stemkowski PE. Thyroid hemiagenesis (hockey sick sign): a review of world literature and a report of four cases. J Clin Endocrinol Metab.1981;52:247-51.
- Kaplan EL, Shukla M,Hara H, Ito K. Developmental abnormalities of the thyroid. In:De Groot LJ ed.Endocrinology.Philadelphia:Sauders,1994:893-9.
- Romanes GJ. Cunningham’s textbook of anatomy.12th ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press.1981:57(9):596-7.
- Pastor VJF, Gil VGA, De Paz Fernandez FJ, Cachorro MB. Agenesis of the thyroid isthmus. Eur J Anat.2006;10:83-84.
- Gupta R, Singla RK. Multiple anomalies in the morphology and blood supply of the thyroid gland:a case report. Journal of Dignostic and Clinical Research. 2011;5(8):1634-36.
- Ranade AV, Rai R, Pai MM, Nayak SR, Krishnamurti A, Narayan S. Anatomical variations of the thyroid gland: possible surgical implications. Singapore Med J.2008;49(10):831-834.
- Zivic R, Radovanovic D, Vedic B. Surgical anatomy of the pyramidal lobe and its significance in thyroid surgery.SAJS.2011;49(3):110-116.
- Joshi SD, Joshi SS, Daimi SR, Athavale SA. The thyroid gland and its variations: A cadaveric study. Folia Morphol.2010;69(1):47-50.
Roopali D. Nikumbh, Dhiraj B. Nikumbh, Megha A. Doshi. MULTIPLE MORPHOLOGICAL VARIATIONS IN THE THYROID GLAND: REPORT OF TWO CASES. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(4):1476-1480. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.269