Type of Article: Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 4 | Page No. 1620-1623
Date of Publication: 31-12-2015
APLASIA OF FRONTAL SINUS: CT STUDY
Sarita Choudhary *1, Navbir Pasricha 1, Garima Sehgal 2, S. Siddiqui 1, Sachin Khanduri 3, Mrinal Ranjan Srivastava 4, Madhusudan Prasad 5, R S Bedi 6.
*1 Department of Anatomy, Era's Lucknow College & Hospital, Sarfarazganj, Lucknow, India.
2 Department of Anatomy, KGMU, Lucknow, India.
3 Department of Radiodiagnosis, Era's Lucknow College & Hospital, Sarfarazganj, Lucknow, India.
4 Department of Community Medicine, Era's Lucknow College & Hospital, Sarfarazganj, Lucknow, India.
5 Department of pathology, IQ city medical college, Durgapur W.B.
6 Saraswati Dental College, lucknow, India.
Address: Dr. Sarita Choudhary, Department of Anatomy, Era's Lucknow College & Hospital, Sarfarazganj, Hardoi-Road, Lucknow- 226003, India.
Aim:The paranasal sinuses are subject to large variety of lesions. Congenital malformations and normal anatomic variations are important in this region To find out prevalence of frontal sinus aplasia in normal healthy population and to discuss its clinical importance.
Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional analysis is performed on CT scans of head & neck region of patients visiting Radio-diagnosis Department of Era’s Lucknow Medical College.
Results: Frontal sinus aplasia was observed in 6.6% of target population.
Conclusion: It is important for surgeons to be aware of variations in sinuses that may predispose patients to increased risk of intraoperative complications and help avoid possible complications and improve success of management strategies.
KEY WORDS: Frontal Sinus, Diploic Space, Aplasia, Meatus, Ostium, Frontal Recess, Ethmoid Infundibulum, Ethmoidal Air Cell.
- Landsberg, Roee, Friedman, Michael. A Computer-Assisted Anatomical Study of the Nasofrontal Region. Laryngoscope 2001;111:2125-30.
- Kasper KA. Nasofrontal connection. A study based on one hundred consecutive dissections. Arch Otolaryngol 1936;23:322-43.
- Becker SP. Anatomy for endoscopic sugery. Otolarygol Clin North Am 1989;22:677-82.
- Duque CS, Casiano RR. Surgical Anatomy and Embryology of the Frontal Sinus. In: Kountakis S, Senior BA, Draf W (2005) The Frontal Sinus. Springer.
- Ozgursoy OB, Comert A, Yorulmaz I, Tekdemir I, Elhan A, Kucuk B. Hidden unilateral agenesis of the frontal sinus: human cadaver study of a potential surgical pitfall. Am J Otolaryngol 2010;31:231-4.
- Eggesbo HB, Søvik S, Dølvik S, Eiklid K, Kolmannskog F. CT characterization of developmental variations of the paranasal sinuses in cystic fibrosis. Acta Radiol 2001;42:482-93.
- Aydinlioğlu A, Kavakli A, Erdem S. Absence of Frontal Sinus in Turkish Individuals. Yonsei Med J 2003;44:215-8.
- Kountakis S, Senior B, Draf W. The frontal sinus. Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. 2005.
- Harris AMP, Wood RE, Nortje CJ, Thomas CJ. Gender and ethnic differences of the radiographic image of the frontal region. J Forensic Odontostomatol 1987;5:51-7.
- Yoshino M, Miyasaka S, Sato H, Seta S. Classification system of frontal sinus patterns by radiography. Its application to identification of unknown skeletal remains. Forensic Sci Int1987;34:289-99.
- Nowak R, Mehls G. Die apllasien der sinus maxillaries und frontales unter besenderer Berucksichtigung der pneumatization bei spalttragern. Anat Anz 1977;142:441-50.
- Koertvelyessy T. Relationship between the frontal sinus and climatic conditions: a skeletal approach to cold adaptation. Am J Phys Anthropol 1972;34:161-72.
- Hanson CL, Owsley DW. Frontal sinus size in Eskimo population. Am J Phys Anthropol 1980;53:25.
Sarita Choudhary, Navbir Pasricha, Garima Sehgal, Mohammed S. Siddiqui, Sachin Khanduri, Mrinal Ranjan Srivastava, Madhusudan Prasad, R S Bedi. APLASIA OF FRONTAL SINUS: CT STUDY. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(4):1620-1623. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.237