Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 3 | Page No. 1429-1431
Date of Publication: 30-09-2015
CADAVERIC STUDY ON THE LOCATION OF PHARYNGEAL ORIFICE OF AN EUSTACHIAN TUBE IN RELATION TO THE ANATOMICAL LANDMARKS
Varalakshmi KL *1, Jyothi N Nayak 2, Sangeeta M 3.
*1 Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, MVJ Medical College and Research Hospital, Hoskote, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
2 Tutor, Department of Anatomy, MVJ Medical College and Research Hospital, Hoskote, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
3 Professor, Department of Anatomy, MVJ Medical College and Research Hospital, Hoskote, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
Address: : Dr.Varalakshmi KL, Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomy, MVJ Medical college and Research Hospital, Hoskote, Bangalore-56114, Karnataka, India. Ph .no: +919980902559.
Introduction: Eustachian tube is a communication between the nasopharynx and middle ear extending between the lateral wall of the nasopharynx to anterior wall of tympanic cavity.It maintains the equilibrium of air pressure on either side of the tympanic membrane for proper vibration of sound. The pharyngeal orifice of Eustachian tube is an important landmark for endoscopic surgeries and also for transnasal approach to infratemporal fossa.
Materials and Methods: A total of 50 (25 right &25 left)sagittal section of head and neck specimens from adult formalin fixed cadavers from the department of anatomy, MVJ Medical college and Research Hospital, Banglore, India, were used for the study.The distance of pharyngeal orifice to posterior border of hard palate,C1 vertebra,posterior choana,tip of uvula, spehenoid sinus were measured with the digital Vernier caliper.The mean and standard deviation of these parameters were calculated.
Conclusion: The knowledge of the relationship of Eustachian tube with anatomical landmarks would be useful to surgeons,otolaryngologists and radiologists.
KEY WORDS: Eustachian tube, Hard palate, C1 vertebra, Posterior choana, Tip of uvula, Spehenoid sinus.
- Standring S.Grays Anatomy,The anatomical basis of clinical practice,40thedn.Churchill Livingstone,2008.
- MooreKL, Persaud TVN.The developing human.Clinically oriented embryology.6th edition.W.B.Saunders Company 1998:245-252.
- Datta AK. Essentials of human anatomy. Head and neck. Part2. 5th Edition.Kolkata:Current books International.2009:pp 54
- Ankolekar V, Hospatna M, Dsouza A, Susham RK, Dsouza AS. Morphometric study of pharyngeal orifice of auditory tube and its clinical Relavance. International Journal of Science and Technology,2013;16(3);1134-1137.
- Charles DB, Stewart RR, Douglas JS. Anatomy and Physiology of the Eustachian Tube;Chapter 142.
- Ozturk K et al. The anatomical relationship between the Eustachian tube and petrous internal carotid artery.Laryngoscope 2012;122(12):2658-62.
- L E Loh, TSG Chee, AB John, The anatomy of the Fossa of Rossenmuller- Its possible influence on the detection of occult nasopharyngeal carcinoma: Singapore Medical Journal.32:154-55.
- Sham JS, WeiWI, ZongYS, ChoyD, GuoYQ, LuoY. et al. Detection of subclinical nasopharyngealcarcinoma by fibreopticendoscopy and multiple biopsy. Lancet 1990;7:371–374.
Varalakshmi KL, Jyothi N Nayak, Sangeeta M. CADAVERIC STUDY ON THE LOCATION OF PHARYNGEAL ORIFICE OF AN EUSTACHIAN TUBE IN RELATION TO THE ANATOMICAL LANDMARKS. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(3):1429-1431. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.254
Volume 1 (2013)
Volume 2 (2014)
Volume 3 (2015)