Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 3 | Page No. 1399-1403
Date of Publication: 30-09-2015
MORPHOMETRIC EVALUATION OF THE FORAMEN MAGNUM AND VARIATION IN ITS SHAPE AND SIZE: A STUDY ON HUMAN DRIED SKULL
Shikha Sharma *1, Anil Kumar Sharma 2, Bhawani Shankar Modi 3, Mohd. Arshad 4.
*1 Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, F H Medical College & Hospital, Tundla, India.
2 Associate Professor, Department of Medicine, F H Medical College & Hospital, Tundla, India.
3 Tutor, Department of Anatomy, F H Medical College & Hospital, Tundla, India.
4 Assistant Professors, Department of Anatomy, F H Medical College & Hospital, Tundla, India.
Address: Dr. Shikha Sharma, Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, F H Medical College & Hospital, Near Etmadpur, Railway over Bridge NH-2, Tundla Distt, Firozabad, Uttar Pradesh 283201, India.
The foramen magnum is an important landmark located in the posterior part of the cranial base formed by the occipital bone. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the measurements of the foramen magnum in human dried skull and to note the variations in the shape and size of the foramen magnum. Additionally area and index of the foramen magnum were also calculated. Fifty human dried skulls of unknown age and sex were obtained from the department of CMCH Bhopal and FHMC Tundla. Foramen magnum were examined macroscopically for their different shapes. Anteroposterior and transverse diameters, foramen magnum area & foramen magnum index were measured.
The foramen magnum shapes were determined as round shaped in 22%, oval shaped in 16%,egg shaped in16%, and irregular in18%,tetragonal in 12% penta and hexagonal 8% each.
The mean A-P and transverse diameters of the foramen magnum was determined 38.75mm and 33.44mm respectively. In 4%of skull, the occipital condyle was observed to protrude in to the foramen magnum. The mean foramen index and foramen magnum area were 87.68 & 970.57mm². The data obtained may be useful to the neurosurgeon in analysing the morphological anatomy of craniovertebral junction in trans condylar approach for brain stem lesion.
KEY WORDS: Evaluation Morphometry, Foramen magnum variations, skull.
- StandringS. Gray’s anatomy. The anatomical basis of clinical practice. 39th ed. London:Elsevier Churchill Livingstone;2005PP460.
- Murshed KA, Cicekcibasi AE, Tuncer I. Morphometric evaluation of the foramen magnum and variations in its shape:A study on computerised tomographic images of normal adults.Turk J Med Sci. 2003;33:301-306.
- Sgouros S, GoldinHJ, Hockely AD, Wake MJ, et al. Intracranial volume change in childhood. J Neurosurg. 1999;91:610-616.
- Furtado S V, Thakre D J, Venkatesh P K, Reddy K, Hedge A S. Morphometric analysis of foramen magnum diamensions and intracranial volume in pediatric chiari I malformation. Acta Neurochir (Wein) 2010;152:221-227.
- Gunay Y, Altinkok M. The value of the size of foramen magnum in sex determination.J Clin forensicMed 2000;7(3):147-149.
- Tanuj Kanchan, Anadi gupta, Kewal krishan. Craniometric analysis of foramen magnum for estimation of sex. International journal of medical, Health, biomedical and pharmaceutical engineering 2013;7(7):111-113.
- Suazo, G.I. Russo, P.P, Zavando, M.D.A, Smith,R.L. Sexual diamorphism in the foramen magnum dimensions. Int. J. Morphol. 2009;27(1):21-23.
- K. Edward, M.D. Viner, W. Schweitzer, M.J.Thali. Sex determination from the foramen magnum. Journal of forensic radiology and imaging.2013;1(4):186-192.
- Holland TD. Sex determination of fragmentary crania by analysis of crania base.Am J Phys.Anthropol.1986;70:203-208.
- Graw M. Morphometrische and Morphognostiische. Geschlectsdiagnostik an der menschlichenSchadelbasis In:oehmicen M, Geserick G(eds)Ostiologische identification and Altersschatzung Schmidt-Romhild,Lubeck,2001:103-121.
- Deepak S. Howale, Anil Bathija, Sudarshan Gupta, D P Pandit. Corrlation between cranial index and foramen magnum index in human dried skulls.GJRA.2014;3(1):3-6.
- P.Chet hen, K.G.Prakash, B.V. Murlymanju K.U. Prashanth, Latha V.Prabhu, Vasudha V.Saralaya, Ashwin Krysnamurthy, M.S. Somesh, C. Ganesh Kumar. Morphological analysis and morphometery of the foramen magnum: an anatomical investigation.Turkish Neurosurgery.2012;22(4)416-419.
- Muthukumar N, Swaminathan R, Venkatesh G, Bhanumathy SP. Amorphometric analysis of the foramen magnum region as it relates to the trans condylar approach. ActaNeurochir (Wien)20015;147:889-895.
- Radiansky L.Relative brain size a new measure.Science. 1967;155:836-838.
- Zaidi S H, DayalS S. Variations in the shape of the foramen magnum in Indian skulls. Anat Anz Jena. 1988;167:338-340.
- Sindel M, Ozkan O, Ucar Y,et al. Foramen magnum’un anatomic varyasyonlari. Akd U Tip Fak Dergisi. 1989;6:97-102.
- Teixeria WR. Sex identification utilizing the size of Foramen magnum.Am J ForensicMed pathol. 1983;3:203-206.
- Jain D, Jasuja O P, Nath s.Evaluation of foramen magnum in sex determination from human crania by using discriminant function analysis. E1 mednifco journal 2014;2(2):89-96.
- Richards GD, Jabbour RS. Foramen magnum ontogeny in Homo sapiens: a functional mtrix perspective. Anat Rec. 2011;294:199-216.
- F. Burdan, J. Szumi O, J. Walocha,L.Klepacz,B. Madej, W. Dworzanski, R. Klepacz, A. Dworzanska, E. Czekajska-Chehab, A. Drop. Morphology of the foramen magnum in young Eastern European adults.Folia Morphol.2012;71(4):205-216.
- Uthman AT, Rawi NA and Timimi JA. Evaluation of foramen magnum in gender determination using helical CT Scanning.Dentomaxillofacial Radiol.2012;14:197-202.
- Barut N, kale A, Turan Suslu H, Ozturk A, Bozbuga M, Sahinoglu K: Evaluation of the bony landmarks in trans condylar approach. Br J Neurosurg. 2009;23:276-281.
Shikha Sharma, Anil Kumar Sharma, Bhawani Shankar Modi, Mohd. Arshad. MORPHOMETRIC EVALUATION OF THE FORAMEN MAGNUM AND VARIATION IN ITS SHAPE AND SIZE: A STUDY ON HUMAN DRIED SKULL. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(3):1399-1403. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.246