Type of Article : Original Research
Year: 2015 | Volume 3 | Issue 3 | Page No. 1371-1375
Date of Publication: 30-09-2015
A STUDY OF TRANSVERSE DIAMETER OF LUMBAR VERTEBRAL CANAL IN NORTH INDIAN POPULATION
Sethi R *1, Singh V 2, Chauhan BKS 3, Thukral BB 4.
*1Assistant professor, Department of Anatomy, Santosh Medical College, Ghaziabad, India.
2 Professor and Head, Department of Anatomy, Santosh Medical College, Ghaziabad, India.
3 Professor and Head, Department of Radiodiagnosis, Santosh Medical College and Hospital, Ghaziabad, India.
4 Professor, Department of Radiodiagnosis, VMMC & Safdurjung Hospital, New Delhi, India.
Address: Dr. Sethi R, Assistant professor, Department of Anatomy, Santosh Medical College, Ghaziabad, India.
Lumbar spinal stenosis is a medical condition occurring due to reduction in the diameter of bony vertebral canal. The transverse diameter of the canal plays a significant role in determining diagnostic criteria for defining stenosis. The present study aims at defining baseline values of transverse diameter of lumbar vertebral canal in healthy north Indian population by radio-diagnosis. Fifty healthy subjects, within age range of 20-70 years were radio-imaged and transverse diameter of vertebral body and canal were assessed. There was a gradual increase in diameter from L1 to L5 vertebral levels. The means of transverse diameter of vertebral body and vertebral canal show no significant differences between genders and the results were compared with earlier published research work. There are subtle differences in morphometry of lumbar canal in different population group suggesting regional and ethnic differences.
KEY WORDS: Spinal Stenosis, Lumbar Canal, Interpedicular Diameter,Transverse Diameter.
- Anderson GB. Epidemiology of low back pain. Acta Orthop Scand Suppl 1998;281:28-31.
- Christenson PB. The radiologic study of the normal spine. Radiol Clin North Am 1977;31: 147-57.
- Schonstrom NS, Bolender N, Spengler DM. The pathomorphology of spinal stenosis as seen on CT scans of the lumbar spine. Spine 1985;10: 806-11.
- Hamanashi C, Matukura N, Fujita M, Tomihara M, Tanaka S. Cross-sectional area of the stenotic dural tube measured from the transverse views of magnetic resonance imaging. J Spinal Dis 1994;7:388-93.
- Amonoo-Kuofi HS. Maximum and minimum lumbar interpedicular distances in normal adult Nigerians. J Anat 1982;135:225-33.
- Amonoo-Kuofi HS. The sagittal diameter of the lumbar vertebral canal in normal adult Nigerians. J Anat 1985;140:69-78.
- Hinck, V.C, Clark, W.M. & Hopkins, C.E.Normal interpediculate distances (minimum and maximum) in children and adults. Am. J. Roentg. 1966;97:141-153.
- Fritz JM, Irrgang JJ. A comparison of a modified oswestry low back pain disability questionnaire and the quebec back pain disability scale. Phys Ther. 2001;81:776-788.
- Gupta M, Bharihoke V, Bhargava S.K. and Agrawal N. ’Size of the Vertebral Canal-A correlative study of measurements in radiographs and dried bones.’ J. Anat. Soc. India. 1998;47:1-6.
- Nirvan A.B., Pensi C.A., Patel J.P., Saha G.V. & Dave R.V. ‘A study of inter-pedicular distance of the lumbar vertebrae measured in plain antero posterior radiography’. J Anat. Soc India. 2005;54(2):58-61.
- Vinay KV, Vishal K. A study of transverse diameter of the lumbar spinal canal in normal south Indians using CR-35X digitizer.Indian Journal of Fundamental and applied Life Sciences 2012;2(2):30-35.
- Eisenstein S. The morphometry and pathological anatomy of the lumbar spine in South African Negroes and Caucasoids with specific reference to spinal stenosis. J Bone Joint Surg [Br] 1977;59-B;l73-80.
- Piera, V., Rodroguez, A., Cobos, A., Hernandez, R.& Cobos, P..Morphology of lumbar vertebral canal. Acta Anat. 1988;131:25-40.
- Chhabra, S, Gopinathan, K, & Chhibber, S.R. Transverse diameter of the lumbar vertebral canal in North Indians. J. Anat. Soc. India. 1991;41(1):25-32.
- Transverse diameter of lumbar vertebrae in western Maharashtra population Jadhav AS,Katti AS, Herekar NG: Int Jr of Recent Trends in Science and Technology 2011;1(3). E-ISSN 2249-8109.
- Weisz GM, Lee P. Spinal stenosis concept of spinal reserve capacity. Radiologic measurements and clinical application. Clin Orthop1983;179:134-140.
- Ishimoto Y,Yoshimura N,Muraki S et al Prevalence of symptomatic lumbar spinal stenosis and its association with physical performance in a population based cohort in Japan: the Wakayama Spine Study .Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2012; vol. 20(10):1103-08.
- Amonoo-Kuofi HS, Patel PJ, Fatani JA. Transverse diameter of the lumbar spinal canal in adult Saudis. Acta Anatomica 1990;137:124-8.
Sethi R, Singh V, Chauhan BKS, Thukral BB. A STUDY OF TRANSVERSE DIAMETER OF LUMBAR VERTEBRAL CANAL IN NORTH INDIAN POPULATION. Int J Anat Res 2015;3(3):1371-1375. DOI: 10.16965/ijar.2015.239